Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 05:51 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times

Advertisements

Most of you have read the horrible emails that went viral (from the future MIL to the future DIL) posted on CD.

Time for payback! Ladies unite and tell the MIL or future MIL a thing or two to ponder if she is to have you as a DIL.

May I start? (divorced now, but oh I remember very well )

Don't:

-call your grown son "my sweet angel"
-buy clothes for your DIL when you have not the first clue what she likes and/or would wear
-boast about your own cooking while eating DIL's lovely prepared meal
-interfere in ANY WAY in your son's marriage
-make snide and/or underhanded remarks intended to wound said DIL while in the presence of the entire family.
-call DIL "doll baby" or any such insulting terms
-GUSH when your son just picks up an itty-bitty piece of lint off the carpet
-consistently mention how you like having boys so much better than girls

Do:

-RESPECT your son's choice.
-Remember: many times the DIL is young and learning how to be married and to live in this world; mistakes are made-ones that may seem silly to you.
-Support her choices on: children, career, and/or hobbies.
-Have an open door policy for discussion of family interests or issues
-Give her nice gifts, fun family times, and a respectful love that says: thanks for loving my son.

She will love and remember you for the rest of her life. And everyone benefits.....especially you.

Oh, guess I will stop. This "doll baby" need rest, you know....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 06:06 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
All so very true. I have another DON'T: Don't go off paxil, cold turkey, days before a European vacation with your son, DIL, and 2 grandchildren. If you do, you'll be extremely lucky if they can ever manage to talk to you again. Ask me how I know this.

Also, when you ask your DIL how things are going and she gets midway thru her first sentence, don't just walk off while she's talking.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:17 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,825 times
Don't:
... tell your DIL how to manage health - esp when she has an MD.
... preach about having faith in God
... minimize your son's mistakes - no need to defend or excuse an adult
... try to guilt trip hard working, busy people for not keeping in constant contact
... pretend that you are too broke to visit and then fly out elsewhere to see friends
... expect SIL/DIL/son/daughter to fix your computer everytime they come visit ... LOL

Old 06-30-2011, 06:42 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Wow, I am blessed! I LOVE my in-laws!

Seriously, and they are fantastic with my children too, BONUS!

Old 06-30-2011, 07:51 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
You ARE blessed. Glad you have such a positive experiences!

uote=justthe6ofus;19830677]Wow, I am blessed! I LOVE my in-laws!

Seriously, and they are fantastic with my children too, BONUS![/quote]

Old 06-30-2011, 09:35 PM

2,501 posts, read 3,649,449 times
Yeah this MIL is from hell! Poor DIL

Old 06-30-2011, 09:59 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
I'm taking my own advice from the other thread and keeping my mouth shut.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:22 PM

513 posts, read 581,086 times
I think doll baby woke up on the wrong side of the bed today

Old 07-01-2011, 04:01 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
You know, I don't have any kids yet...but from what I have seen, it's been the DILs whose behavior has been more appalling. I have heard horror stories on both sides...don't get me wrong...but, um, I think people really ought to clue in onto the fact that you don't just marry a person - you marry a family.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:31 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You know, I don't have any kids yet...but from what I have seen, it's been the DILs whose behavior has been more appalling. I have heard horror stories on both sides...don't get me wrong...but, um, I think people really ought to clue in onto the fact that you don't just marry a person - you marry a family.
Can't rep you...have to spread the love but you are so right! I remember my grandmother telling me this as a young adult and my own mother drilling it into me. When you marry, you marry the family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships