Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 11:39 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,337,640 times

Advertisements

Ladies,

Tell me what kind of person "Sally" comes across. The following were comments she made during a lunch earlier this summer. About 15 people, men and women present.

1. "I would not take any of the men here to a deserted island with me. Not even one. But I'd take, for example, Edward Smith (who was not present). For starters, he's a real man."
2. "Men have integrity? Ha, don't even get me started. Don't EVEN get me started."

This woman has made occasional comments like this, taking shots at men, rather often in recent time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 11:44 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,511,886 times
Misandrist comes to mind.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:44 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,213,836 times
She sounds rude, snobby, bitter and bigoted.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:46 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,399,014 times
She's been dumped 100 times by men because of her big mouth, snotty attitude and conceit. Sounds like those guys had the good sense to toss her to the curb. So of course she's bitter. Instead of learning to shut up and listen to others, she blathers on about her own life. ZZZZZZZZ!

Old 08-19-2011, 11:53 AM

936 posts, read 2,063,568 times
Clearly she wants the men there to not think of asking her out.

And they, being gentlemen, will oblige her.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:59 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,748,747 times
1. Rude, but I have mixed feelings. You say this was during "a lunch," which makes me think it was a work function. It's not smart, especially for a woman and even more especially at work, to say flirty things in large groups like that. Among friends in a casual conversation, maybe, but then you might perk someone's ears up. The desert island question implies sex, so I can't fault a woman for announcing to a group of men that she does not want to have sex with any of them. But the "real man" thing is plain rude, because she implies that no man present is a real man. Which is a stupid concept anyway.

2. Rude and sexist, no excuses.

So 1 + 2 = 0, in her case.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:10 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,213,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
1. Rude, but I have mixed feelings. You say this was during "a lunch," which makes me think it was a work function. It's not smart, especially for a woman and even more especially at work, to say flirty things in large groups like that. Among friends in a casual conversation, maybe, but then you might perk someone's ears up. The desert island question implies sex, so I can't fault a woman for announcing to a group of men that she does not want to have sex with any of them. But the "real man" thing is plain rude, because she implies that no man present is a real man. Which is a stupid concept anyway.

2. Rude and sexist, no excuses.

So 1 + 2 = 0, in her case.
Thank you, I hate the concept of a man not being a "real man" just because he does not fit one person's liking (same thing for being "a real woman").

Old 08-19-2011, 12:16 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,990,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post

1. "I would not take any of the men here to a deserted island with me. Not even one. But I'd take, for example, Edward Smith (who was not present). For starters, he's a real man."

2. "Men have integrity? Ha, don't even get me started. Don't EVEN get me started."
She lost all credibility after that comment.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:27 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,218,138 times
She's a bigot.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:31 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,337,640 times
This was a "friends'" lunch. It was not related to work.

Sally has acted this way for months. I will not specify the circumstances but the meetings I went to where she was - I wasn't really in a position not go to. But those circumstances changed and I want to have absolutely nothing to do with her.

The 'real man' comment regarding "Edward Smith".... what I left out and which I will add now was that he is to her a real man because he has chest hair. Of all things, chest hair makes a man a "real man."

And also, several months ago, Sally did something which took me aback - because I'd never do it.

Sally had a crush on Paul, but Paul was always cold to her "advances," and Sally got the hint. But before Sally backed off, there was one time when a longtime (over 15 years) female friend of Paul, "Larissa," came too. Larissa saw Sally and said with a smile, "oh, I remember you!" And she extended her hand for a handshake. Sally shook her hand, but gave Larissa a dirty look and turned away. Larissa later told me this and Larissa wasn't even mad - and explained to me (given Larissa is a woman too and knows how women act/think) that Sally gave her this attitude because Sally was jealous of Larissa's closeness to Paul since Sally liked Paul.

So my next question, women, is... have you ever had a friend or acquaintance like Sally? If so, did you ever try to help your girlfriend break out of her biterness? What was the result? Did the friendship even survive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships