Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2011, 09:39 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
No. The supposed "research" from women's studies types fails at the most basic level - correlation doesn't equal causation - and yet this garbage gets circulated endlessly!

It is expensive and time consuming to refute this material and such endeavors are seldom adequately funded.
I already linked the non-woman studies to address this boloney pages ago. For example, the US department of health and human services (http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/opre/strengthen/marr_employ/reports/economic_frmwk/econ_frmwrk_ch1.html#foot2b - broken link). That is an article sourced by CDC vital statistics addressing what knight said earlier about the uneducated having lower rates of marriage as well as higher rates of divorce. "The trends and patterns vary sharply by educational attainment. More educated women are becoming less likely to divorce and still are very unlikely to bear a child outside marriage, while among less-educated women, the propensity to marry is declining, divorce rates are high and increasing, and nonmarital births have been rising and now account for over half of their births".

Of course, you will not acknowledge this. You will willfully ignore it and continue on with the women's studies rant. And so will other men in your camp. Why is that? Why are you seemingly allergic to honest intellectual inquiry?

Old 08-27-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
Unfortunately, feminism has embedded itself in the government and the government controls what we see and controls the media.

The media is backed by the powerful, evil Central Bankers that want to enslave humanity who also were the same people who funded feminism.

Wake up people!
So, it's a vast conspiracy. Are you guys all wearing v*gina fashioned tin-foil hats? Eh?

Old 08-27-2011, 09:58 AM

4,837 posts, read 8,856,820 times
At another site, the article cited "research" pro-porting to tell us that marriage "made" men healthier. I posted this obvious alternative explanation (and I'm hardly the only one who postulates this or something like it):

"I've never seen anything that refutes my thesis that this is due to selection bias.

This could easily be explained by the fact that women tend to marry men who are jocks or from wealthy families. Both these factors show a correlation with health.

As well, there is evidence that the physical features (attractiveness) of men that women find appealing are related to health in childhood and especially family wealth. Certainly, straight teeth have a strong relationship to family wealth since they can afford to have them straightened. More importantly, wealthy men tend to marry better looking women who pass these genes on to his kids and there you go - health correlated with wealth."

I was accused of saying that only wealthy, good looking men get married! This is the low level of analysis that the people who believe these articles are capable of.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:14 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
That's really not it at all. Once they marry and have children, women are still mainly responsible for grocery shopping and feeding their families, so TV dinners and pizza aren't on the menu very often. Most women see a doctor, or at least a gynecologist at least once a year for pap smears and birth control reasons.They're also usually the ones who take charge of the family's health and will push their husbands to see a doctor, where many single men don't go for checkups unless they're bleeding.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
At another site, the article cited "research" pro-porting to tell us that marriage "made" men healthier. I posted this obvious alternative explanation (and I'm hardly the only one who postulates this or something like it):
What alternative site? Provide the link.

Quote:
"I've never seen anything that refutes my thesis that this is due to selection bias.

This could easily be explained by the fact that women tend to marry men who are jocks or from wealthy families. Both these factors show a correlation with health.
I'm not sure what this even means. Women tend to marry jocks from wealthy families. Given that wealthy families make up maybe 1-2% of the population and that at least 30-40% of the female population has married, how in the world do you reconcile these incongruent percentage differences?

Quote:
As well, there is evidence that the physical features (attractiveness) of men that women find appealing are related to health in childhood and especially family wealth. Certainly, straight teeth have a strong relationship to family wealth since they can afford to have them straightened. More importantly, wealthy men tend to marry better looking women who pass these genes on to his kids and there you go - health correlated with wealth."
Ok, I think we're defining wealth differently. I'm figuring that you consider lower middle-class to middle-class as wealthy. My mother made sure we had straight teeth. Her top earnings were in the mid-40s. I will agree that health is definitely correlated with attractiveness, but I will not agree that wealth (>150k) is required for health.

Quote:
I was accused of saying that only wealthy, good looking men get married! This is the low level of analysis that the people who believe these articles are capable of.
Now I'm confused. So, the above is or isn't your argument?

Old 08-27-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
That's really not it at all. Once they marry and have children, women are still mainly responsible for grocery shopping and feeding their families, so TV dinners and pizza aren't on the menu very often. Most women see a doctor, or at least a gynecologist at least once a year for pap smears and birth control reasons.They're also usually the ones who take charge of the family's health and will push their husbands to see a doctor, where many single men don't go for checkups unless they're bleeding.
Can you explain what he's saying in that post? I'm lost.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:32 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Can you explain what he's saying in that post? I'm lost.
I took it that he's saying that women only marry men who are healthy (i.e. active, rich enough to have good insurance/medical care) to begin with, so that would skew the studies that say that married men tend to be healthier. But as you so aptly pointed out, the percentage of these guys is extremely low, and that doesn't explain all the non-jock non-rich guys who are married.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I took it that he's saying that women only marry men who are healthy (i.e. active, rich enough to have good insurance/medical care) to begin with, so that would skew the studies that say that married men tend to be healthier. But as you so aptly pointed out, the percentage of these guys is extremely low, and that doesn't explain all the non-jock non-rich guys who are married.
True, but I believe what is considered wealthy here might be up for debate. I mean, pretty much everyone I knew while growing up who had snaggled teeth were sporting braces, save the kids hailing from a trailer park in the next town. So, to me it seems there are two classes- those in the trailer parks and ghettos and everybody else, where the former are assumed to be the majority.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:40 AM

3,440 posts, read 5,718,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
So, it's a vast conspiracy. Are you guys all wearing v*gina fashioned tin-foil hats? Eh?
Oh dear lovely, wonderful Braunwyn.

Losing your cool with the insult?

The terms "NWO" and "Adam Weishaupt" are all you need to know.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Jack22 View Post
Oh dear lovely, wonderful Braunwyn.

Losing your cool with the insult?

The terms "NWO" and "Adam Weishaupt" are all you need to know.
Well, I read the Illuminati trilogy when I was 18 along with Cosmic trigger. I grew out of that 23 skidoo phase. But, you really are a conspiracy theorist, huh? I didn't realize the tin-foil hat comment was so on point. I looked for a good pic to add some flavor to the post, but lost interest.

Any how, no, I do not think what's at the crux of this problem is vast conspiracies via secret societies who are out to get the lot of you.

But, here you go! lol

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships