Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 06:44 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,302,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleTulip18 View Post
I'm curious as to what this means from both sides (Women & Men). I'm specifically interested in hearing from the 25-40 crowd but please, all feel free to join in.

What does a person really mean when they say this?

Why would a person say this to thier SO?

Have at it!
It's an excuse for not taking the time to do something special or sweet JUST to please your loved one.....If he's already your SO...he wouldn't have to tell you this...you would know...unless he changed and in that case.....once again....it's just an excuse for not taking the time to do something special or sweet, just to please your loved one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 07:29 PM

48,564 posts, read 34,941,456 times
I'm the one in my relationship who not inherently romantic. It's just the way I'm wired. I think flowers, chocolates, and long walks on the beach are anti-romantic because they are such cliches.

But it depends on your definition of romance.. for me it's the little things. I take my SO into account for almost any decision, I pick things up, and cook things I know he will like.... and he knows that's how I show romance. I know my SO would like more traditional romance.. so I try.. but he knows I don't... so he tries.

I guess if I wanted more romance, I would just invite my SO to go do something romantic..

I had a friend who was hooked on the "romance" of whatever relationship she was in and would frequently ask her BF why he didn't send her flowers. He subsequently did. I can't understand why that made her happy.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:51 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,016,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I'm the one in my relationship who not inherently romantic. It's just the way I'm wired. I think flowers, chocolates, and long walks on the beach are anti-romantic because they are such cliches.

But it depends on your definition of romance.. for me it's the little things. I take my SO into account for almost any decision, I pick things up, and cook things I know he will like.... and he knows that's how I show romance. I know my SO would like more traditional romance.. so I try.. but he knows I don't... so he tries.

I guess if I wanted more romance, I would just invite my SO to go do something romantic..

I had a friend who was hooked on the "romance" of whatever relationship she was in anSod would frequently ask her BF why he didn't send her flowers. He subsequently did. I can't understand why that made her happy.
So what happens if I showed up out of the blue and made fondu? I have no idea where you are, but I just showed up and was like "I'mma make some fondu!" And I had the crazy Einstein hair and stuff. Would you get all romanced with that? LOL

Old 09-30-2011, 12:52 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,062,004 times
I lived a lifetime without romance so I now value it more than many people do. The person I married firmly believed all that love crap ended when you got married. Too bad he didn't tell me in advance...

Thanks for this thread. I don't think I have ever sat down and just thought about all the romantic things my SO does. He is very romantic and I'm still learning. I KNOW I hit the jackpot!

Every time he walks by there's a touch or a kiss.

He brings me coffee in bed and kisses me every morning.

Once or twice a year, I'll find a sign on the door... "Naked Man in Kitchen". Or "Proceed Directly to the Bedroom".

He writes me love letters. And music, and poetry.

He reads to me.

He packs my lunch every day.

We cook and shop together. Plan meals, etc. He is interested and wants to take an active part in our home life.

He bought a pair of sexy underwear I admired once(for him, not me).

Once when I went out of town, he met me at the airport with a dozen roses. And he also had my car detailed as a surprise.

He listens to me when I talk. He actually hears what I say. He is interested in what I think and feel.

He honestly believes I am totally beautiful.

He plays cards or Scrabble with me. And he wants to learn how to play bridge because I enjoy it.

He cleans and picks up without being asked.

We have been together for almost 3 years now and I can count on one hand the number of times he hasn't opened a door/car door for me.

He opens my drink before he hands it to me.

When we walk anywhere, he always is closest to traffic. He had to explain that one to me... And he prefers for me to hold his hand or take his arm.

He send me e-cards.

He seats me at dinner. Always when we are out, but sometimes at home too.

He loves to snuggle up together and watch a move, a TV program, or just listen to the radio.

When I come home, he gets up to greet me.

He makes no secret of his feelings for me and that he wants US to continue and just keep on getting better.

And this is just a partial list. He's not perfect and he has his issues. But he has manners and is a gentleman in the best sense of the word. At the same time, he is the most masculine man I have ever known. I guess the secret is that he is comfortable with being a man. He doesn't have anything to prove. He knows who he is.

I'm not as good at this as he is. But I appreciate every one of these things and I notice them every day. I'm trying to improve and it's a fun, amazing, wonderful, project!

Old 09-30-2011, 02:12 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,433,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleTulip18 View Post
I'm curious as to what this means from both sides (Women & Men). I'm specifically interested in hearing from the 25-40 crowd but please, all feel free to join in.

What does a person really mean when they say this?

Why would a person say this to thier SO?

Have at it!
Um...some people are not into the hoochy smoochy lovey dovey stuff. They are more serious and hold their cards closer to their vest. But they can also be the most loyal, loving people. You're just not going to get hearts and violins.

I think that romantic stuff is on a spectrum. I don't think it affects a person's ability to love or reflects on the depth of their love. I tend to be closer to the middle, but more to the mushy side. I know some people who are so mushy that it almost seems insincere.

The issue is...can you deal with it? My wife is not overly demonstrative. It threw me off for a while (I require lots of attention and petting), but once I figured out what was going on in her head and her style, we were a-ok. I can see some people who want more ooshy gooshy on a more consistent basis having a problem with it.

Just...what can you live with?

To me, love is all my socks lined up in a row in my sock drawer.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:05 AM

479 posts, read 836,261 times
As Penn & Teller might say, "Romance is bullchit!"

Penn and Teller: Bull****! 'Easy Money' - Pure Romance intro - YouTube

Old 09-30-2011, 06:09 AM

356 posts, read 830,554 times
hahahaha!

Old 09-30-2011, 06:40 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,090,252 times
Yellowsnow...you are soooo very lucky! I'm glad you have found romance

Old 09-30-2011, 07:40 AM

17,647 posts, read 22,670,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I lived a lifetime without romance so I now value it more than many people do. The person I married firmly believed all that love crap ended when you got married. Too bad he didn't tell me in advance...

Thanks for this thread. I don't think I have ever sat down and just thought about all the romantic things my SO does. He is very romantic and I'm still learning. I KNOW I hit the jackpot!

Every time he walks by there's a touch or a kiss.

He brings me coffee in bed and kisses me every morning.

Once or twice a year, I'll find a sign on the door... "Naked Man in Kitchen". Or "Proceed Directly to the Bedroom".

He writes me love letters. And music, and poetry.

He reads to me.

He packs my lunch every day.

We cook and shop together. Plan meals, etc. He is interested and wants to take an active part in our home life.

He bought a pair of sexy underwear I admired once(for him, not me).

Once when I went out of town, he met me at the airport with a dozen roses. And he also had my car detailed as a surprise.

He listens to me when I talk. He actually hears what I say. He is interested in what I think and feel.

He honestly believes I am totally beautiful.

He plays cards or Scrabble with me. And he wants to learn how to play bridge because I enjoy it.

He cleans and picks up without being asked.

We have been together for almost 3 years now and I can count on one hand the number of times he hasn't opened a door/car door for me.

He opens my drink before he hands it to me.

When we walk anywhere, he always is closest to traffic. He had to explain that one to me... And he prefers for me to hold his hand or take his arm.

He send me e-cards.

He seats me at dinner. Always when we are out, but sometimes at home too.

He loves to snuggle up together and watch a move, a TV program, or just listen to the radio.

When I come home, he gets up to greet me.

He makes no secret of his feelings for me and that he wants US to continue and just keep on getting better.

And this is just a partial list. He's not perfect and he has his issues. But he has manners and is a gentleman in the best sense of the word. At the same time, he is the most masculine man I have ever known. I guess the secret is that he is comfortable with being a man. He doesn't have anything to prove. He knows who he is.

I'm not as good at this as he is. But I appreciate every one of these things and I notice them every day. I'm trying to improve and it's a fun, amazing, wonderful, project!

Amore,
this is very beautiful...

Old 09-30-2011, 09:01 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,302,100 times
yellowsnow.....you did indeed hit the jackpot!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships