Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2013, 08:45 PM

766 posts, read 1,658,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1282 View Post
I went to college for 4 years but here and there I kept getting deployed to Iraq so I kinda gave up. I was going for a criminal justice degree but once I had veteran status I got a job as a cop anyway so didnt see the point in going. Im still single and decided to take a break from dating and see what happens. Thought this thread was closed so thats why I havent responded in awhile
You don't want to finish? I know that's not the point of the thread, but you don't sound like you have much left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 10:55 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,711,977 times
I think getting turned down because one does not have a college degree is dumb. However if someone blatantly does not make an effort, college degree or no degree, and does not care about having goals and what not then move on. But if they are happy and can be successful and determined without a degree then its all good.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:03 PM

613 posts, read 1,054,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarsgirl79 View Post
You don't want to finish? I know that's not the point of the thread, but you don't sound like you have much left.
I wanted to finish but kept getting deployed it wasnt 4 full years. Im happy where Im at now. When I first moved here I was hanging out around alot of college areas I think that was my problem. I branched out but still no luck like I said Im happy with what Im doing just not the dating so much.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:33 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,358,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
The point is a degree does NOT make a person. My Aunt has a degree(my moms sister) her husband, my uncle doesn't have one(I don't even think he finished high school). She works at a hospital, he's a contruction foreman, he goes all over the world to work. Guess who makes more money, guess who pays all the bills, guess who pays for everything. I used Gates, Jobs, and Zuckerburg, as an example becuase everybody knows who they are, but there are many people non famous people who do good to great without a college degree, I could go on and on, but you get the point. The reason why a lot of women want a man with a degree is because they think it indicates a higher social status, also they believe that a man with a degree will be a better "provider" for the family.

I agree with you but perception is always greater than reality.

Also, a college degree did indicate (to a large degree) a much higher social status up until about 5 years ago so it will take some time for this belief to evolve.

A college degree still signals a higher earning power on average. The human psyche operates off of relative comparisons.

I'd advise OP to finish up the degree at this stage when your sans wife and kids. The lack of a degree will hold you back in ways that you cannot foresee now.

Old 04-02-2013, 10:06 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,180,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
The point is a degree does NOT make a person. My Aunt has a degree(my moms sister) her husband, my uncle doesn't have one(I don't even think he finished high school). She works at a hospital, he's a contruction foreman, he goes all over the world to work. Guess who makes more money, guess who pays all the bills, guess who pays for everything. I used Gates, Jobs, and Zuckerburg, as an example becuase everybody knows who they are, but there are many people non famous people who do good to great without a college degree, I could go on and on, but you get the point. The reason why a lot of women want a man with a degree is because they think it indicates a higher social status, also they believe that a man with a degree will be a better "provider" for the family.
I agree; a college degree doesn't guarantee success, or even that the person can hold a decent conversation.
I could illustrate this with tons of examples I've witnessed, as well.
Lots of men I know that only had their h.s. education are way more "successful" than people I know w/ college degrees, sitting at home unemployed.
And I love hearing how they did it......

Old 04-02-2013, 03:05 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Chowhound nailed it: the key point is whether a potential partner is intellectually curious. College doesn't guarantee it. Lack of college doesn't preclude it. But there is a positive correlation. Is it a strong positive correlation? Probably not - and getting less so ever decade. But "dude went to college" and "he must be smart, interesting and witty" remains a heuristic crutch.

In the broader context, evolving society is increasingly less accommodating of virulently discriminatory views... in the workplace, the community, schools, media and so forth. The dating scene is the last great bastion of discrimination, where it's considered to be perfectly OK to prejudge people or to sweepingly size them up based on perceived membership in this or that cohort.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:57 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,358,452 times
This is the perception and to a great degree it is the reality. There will always be outliers such as the OP but people think in terms of averages.

Data: BLS, FactSet, J.P. Morgan Asset Management. Source: Census Bureau, J.P. Morgan Asset Management; Unemployment rates shown are for civilians aged 25 and older.

Source: JPM Morgan Guide to Markets, Q2 2013

Old 04-02-2013, 04:08 PM

Location: Even funnier how, when you make a rational argument..
45 posts, read 41,842 times
I recommend people read the book "outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell. It really puts things into perspective.

A degree does make it easier, I don't think there's an argument against that in terms of statistics. Whether that in itself is right or wrong is up for debate.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:07 PM

613 posts, read 1,054,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
This is the perception and to a great degree it is the reality. There will always be outliers such as the OP but people think in terms of averages.

Data: BLS, FactSet, J.P. Morgan Asset Management. Source: Census Bureau, J.P. Morgan Asset Management; Unemployment rates shown are for civilians aged 25 and older.

Source: JPM Morgan Guide to Markets, Q2 2013
I dont disagree with what your posting. I just think if your smart with your money and work hard you can be successful. Having a degree makes that easier but not a requirement.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:10 PM

861 posts, read 1,456,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasuredJewel View Post
29 and single? You should be married by now.

College is worthless and people who have degrees tend to be just "book smart" but lack common damn sense. I know plumbers who make more than college grads lol.

Also if this girl oh so intelligent she should be smart enough to know that people can very well be successful without a piece of paper.
What this person said. Excellent post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships