Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 06:35 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,431,220 times

Advertisements

Friends or family turning up to your place, unannounced?

Do they even do it and whats your take on it?

Was having this discussion with a few people tonight, with people from a variety of ages. It seems the older generation, in their day it was common. These days though for the younger generation, its not generally the done thing. Usually a text or email is needed.

I don't like it and most of my friends/family know that I need notice first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 06:42 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
Friends or family turning up to your place, unannounced?

Do they even do it and whats your take on it?

Was having this discussion with a few people tonight, with people from a variety of ages. It seems the older generation, in their day it was common. These days though for the younger generation, its not generally the done thing. Usually a text or email is needed.

I don't like it and most of my friends/family know that I need notice first.
I don't like it, either, but some of the older folks just can't be retrained. For a few years I lived in the same town as my mother, while my daughter was in school. My house was on the way home from her church. More than once on a Sunday morning I either came up from the basement or down from my bedroom to find my mother standing in my living room just grinning at me. Another time I heard this banging sound and looked out my front window to see my mother slamming her shoulder against my front door, which was locked, trying to force it open. My doorbell didn't always work, and she was annoyed because I didn't answer and she wasn't able to get in.

I moved sixty miles away after my daughter graduated from HS. My sister, who lived two towns away from my mother, then began to find my mother in HER living room unannounced. Now she moved about half an hour away, and my mother keeps telling her that one of these days she's going to drop in and surprise her...

Old 10-18-2011, 07:17 AM

22,343 posts, read 29,452,102 times
Family-it would only be my brother and he's welcome all the time. Friends-highly doubt as they're busy with their 20000 kids. Hot booty calls-always welcome!

Old 10-18-2011, 07:19 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,404,454 times
My husband's parents used to do it in the beginning stages of our relationship. Normally we wouldn't mind, but his parents were coming from another state and wanted to do dinner, so advanced noticed was preferred (and my husband spoke with them about that) so I could get myself straightened up (we were usually working on or around the house.) Plus I wanted to make sure the house looked presentable. These days I don't mind if they just show up. I'm less concerned about how the house looks (I do my best, but with 3 little ones, most people are understanding) and now they come to help watch the kids so my husband and I can get things done or go out. It's a blessing now!

My parents, more so my father, stops by unannounced, but the difference is there's no expectation of going out anywhere. He usually comes over and then helps us with projects we're working on or he stops by to see the kids. I welcome it, but I also grew up in a family where this was done all the time (old school Italian where we all lived in homes next to or across from each other on the same street.)

I'm pretty open to folks stopping by. Mi casa es su casa.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:23 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,032,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Family-it would only be my brother and he's welcome all the time. Friends-highly doubt as they're busy with their 20000 kids. Hot booty calls-always welcome!
DM me your address and get ready for a nice surprise!

Old 10-18-2011, 07:29 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,032,210 times
Someone once asked me why I'm so bad about answering my phone. My response was, if I want to talk to someone, I'll call them.

Same thing with visitors. If I want someone to come over, I will invite them.

I'm NEVER home though. Whether I'm doing business, at the gym, at the beach, watching football, chasing girls, etc., I'm always out and about, so you've got a pretty low chance of catching me if you drop by the pad.

However, as was mentioned above, hot chicks wanting sex are ALWAYS welcome, announced or unannounced.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:34 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,697,329 times
Somewhat annoying. I'd like a bit of a heads-up.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:37 AM

11,800 posts, read 12,040,540 times
My parents NEVER dropped in on people, even the friends that said "Drop by anytime", and meant it, well they just wouldn't. They didn't like it done to them so they would never do it to others.

It's a rare occasion if someone drops by my place unexpectedly...rare as in not even once a year.

I don't care for it because it puts people on the spot to welcome friends/family into their home when it's not convenient. Maybe I'm tired, in a bad mood, busy with other things, but then you're on the spot to invite them in since they "made the effort" to come and see you. People may think they're being kind because they thought of you so came by to see you, but in reality, it's a bit selfish to interrupt someone's day/evening and think that they can stop everything for you. Great if that's what you like to do, but don't assume everyone feels the same way.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:39 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,865,348 times
irritating and i usually won't answer the door.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:39 AM

200 posts, read 328,505 times
hate unannounced guests...doesn't happen to me though.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships