Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2011, 08:23 AM

2,068 posts, read 4,337,807 times

Advertisements

Ever feel like you can't be as hardened and stern as you want to be because you love the other person so much: be it a lover, a mother, a brother or a child?

I can recall several instances when I really needed to drive home a point to someone I loved but I couldn't do it as much as I wanted to because I couldn't bear to have them think... feel bad/sad.

Tough love can be tough... on the giver.

Thoughts. How do you do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 08:34 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,524 times
Being an authoritarian isn't the only way to handle relationships. You can't control people. Worry about your own life. Parenting is different.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:35 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
I've found that for me personally...if I have to "harden" and become very "stern" it's only BECAUSE I love that person, and am concerned for them....in fact....I might be a little more harsh towards my own....and if I have to be so stern....then I definately WANT them to feel bad/sad......you're right though....it is hard to be angry at the ones you love.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:44 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Aganusn....I agree that being an authoritarian isn't the ONLY way to handle relationships....though, sometimes (especially with children)it can prove to be the only way to (yes) control them.You CAN control people..to some extent......your response to rescuerdeme was veeery stern.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:07 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
Ever feel like you can't be as hardened and stern as you want to be because you love the other person so much: be it a lover, a mother, a brother or a child?
No.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:50 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Aganusn....I agree that being an authoritarian isn't the ONLY way to handle relationships....though, sometimes (especially with children)it can prove to be the only way to (yes) control them.You CAN control people..to some extent......your response to rescuerdeme was veeery stern.
Of course with children, because they're children.....But adults? Unless there are some dependency issues, most adults should want to be individuals.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:32 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post

I can recall several instances when I really needed to drive home a point to someone I loved but I couldn't do it as much as I wanted to because I couldn't bear to have them think... feel bad/sad.

Tough love can be tough... on the giver.

Thoughts. How do you do it?
Write it out
Put it away
Re-read it when you are not mad.
Edit

You can be stern without being mean. Its easier when you don't use the word "you".

For example:

You make me angry when you: ....
Because you act like: ....
vs.
I feel upset when: ...
Because it makes me feel like: ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships