Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 06:52 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times

Advertisements

On this night before Veterans Day I am thinking of my father. Growing up, I always knew my father was a veteran, but I never knew that is what it was called. All that I knew was that he was in the Army. It was not until I stood upon his grave that I realized he was actually in what was then known as the Army Air Corps. I heard many stories as a little girl but as an adult, I am pretty sure he harbored many more stories. I have no idea what his eyes saw. All I ever caught was the smallest of a glimpse. I heard of some of the fun times he and the other soldiers had. I never heard stories of war or of death.

As a little girl I remember sneaking into my fathers old cedar chest and looking at all of his ribbons and medals, running my fingers across their coldness. I wondered what they all meant. I had no idea. I would put on my fathers old army coat. The sleeves ran way beyond the reach of my fingers and the whole coat nearly came to my knees.

My dad was my hero. He was my everything. I would have much rather been outside building something or tinkering on something with him than be out in the neighborhood. He was my best friend as a child, and I must say, I was a daddys girl.

He was quite a bit older when I was born. My father was fifty-two years old and my mother was thirty-eight years old. I can only smile, because laying here right now I bet they wondered what in the world they were getting themselves into. My smile now is tremendous, because I am so happy for all that they have given me in life. Though they are both gone and have been for many years, I still learn from them. I can look at my son, and for just a small second, I imagine that he probably looks quite a bit like my father did at that age.

As I grew a bit older and started learning about World War II in school it all started coming together. I saw pictures in books. Is this what my dad was talking about? He doesn't know anything about that stuff! No way! He's my dad! I probably thought he hadn't been anywhere I hadn't been, but he had. He had been all over the place. He had seen many things. Many people.

To me he was just my buddy, my daddy. He was the one who kissed my boo-boos. He was not a soldier. He was my best friend. He was the one I held hands with as we walked down the isles in the hardware store. He was the one who taught me how to use a level. He was the one who made me never want to do a thing to disappoint him.

As I started getting a little older and seeing a little less of him and a little more of my friends he started to be the one who would embarrass me in front of my friends or at the store. It's so funny to think of it now, because he didn't do near the things I do in front of my kids, yet they are never embarrassed. For this I am happy.

My father was always big on cards. Birthday cards, Christmas cards, just because cards. He called me Robbie. I still have every card he ever gave me. As I got older and became a teenager, my name went from Robbie to Robyn to yes, Wild Thang. I get the biggest kick out of that. I guess that happened around the time I was 14-15.

By that time I realized that my father was yes, in a very important war. I still did not really know the term Veteran. My God if I knew at the age of fifteen that I would lose my father just six years later I would have held off wanting to grow up so fast. If I knew then what I know now it would all be different. I would have stayed a daddys girl for a little while longer. I would have spent more time with him going fishing, and less time with my boyfriend doing whatever unimportant thing I thought was so important.

But I didn't, and we can't go back and change what has already happened. Soon enough, I had my own child, a son. My father called him Scooter but would never hold him. I remember the day it was time for me to come home from the hospital. I called my father in tears. He said, "Whats the matter, Robbie?" I could hear the concern in his voice. I told him it was time for me to come home but the baby had to stay. My heart was breaking enough, and my fathers heart broke for me that day as well.

Sometimes I think back to my sons infancy and wonder if my father knew he was sick then, and that's why he never held my baby. I finally sat near him one day with Alexander and put him in his arms. My dads face lit up like it was Christmas. It has been many years since that day, but it is forever etched in my mind, and I won't soon forget it. I could not begin to know the day it was but I think my little scooter was about eight months old or so.

It was getting near a time I never thought I would see, at least not for years. My father took care of me all these years, now it was my turn to take care of him. He was sick. My father had cancer and we lost him three months later.

I have so many wonderful memories of my childhood and teenage years, even ones from adulthood. I never wanted to disappoint my father. About a week before his passing I was helping him to try and eat something and his eyes looked so dull. He had always had the prettiest blue eyes. Alexander has them. He looked up at me and said, "Robbie, do you think I am gonna make it?" I sucked in my tears and I said, "Of course you will, Daddy....."

That day was like yesterday, when in reality it has been almost seventeen years.

When I am walking along and I see a veteran, most often I will go to them and shake their hand, usually when I am alone. When I see someone all these years later who was in WWII, you better bet I am going to go to them. I understand now more than ever what a veteran is.

My father was a veteran of the United States Army Air Corps and served in World War II and I am the proudest daughter you will ever know.

RIP Robert Scott Nease. You will be loved and missed for all of my days....

Happy Veterans Day.

Last edited by Pikantari; 11-10-2011 at 07:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 07:04 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
On this night before Veterans Day I am thinking of my father. Growing up, I always knew my father was a veteran, but I never knew that is what it was called. All that I knew was that he was in the Army. It was not until I stood upon his grave that I realized he was actually in what was then known as the Army Air Corps. I heard many stories as a little girl but as an adult, I am pretty sure he harbored many more stories. I have no idea what his eyes saw. All I ever caught was the smallest of a glimpse. I heard of some of the fun times he and the other soldiers had. I never heard stories of war or of death.

As a little girl I remember sneaking into my fathers old cedar chest and looking at all of his ribbons and medals, running my fingers across their coldness. I wondered what they all meant. I had no idea. I would put on my fathers old army coat. The sleeves ran way beyond the reach of my fingers and the whole coat nearly came to my knees.

My dad was my hero. He was my everything. I would have much rather been outside building something or tinkering on something with him than be out in the neighborhood. He was my best friend as a child, and I must say, I was a daddys girl.

He was quite a bit older when I was born. My father was fifty-two years old and my mother was thirty-eight years old. I can only smile, because laying here right now I bet they wondered what in the world they were getting themselves into. My smile now is tremendous, because I am so happy for all that they have given me in life. Though they are both gone and have been for many years, I still learn from them. I can look at my son, and for just a small second, I imagine that he probably looks quite a bit like my father did at that age.

As I grew a bit older and started learning about World War II in school it all started coming together. I saw pictures in books. Is this what my dad was talking about? He doesn't know anything about that stuff! No way! He's my dad! I probably thought he hadn't been anywhere I hadn't been, but he had. He had been all over the place. He had seen many things. Many people.

To me he was just my buddy, my daddy. He was the one who kissed my boo-boos. He was not a soldier. He was my best friend. He was the one I held hands with as we walked down the isles in the hardware store. He was the one who taught me how to use a level. He was the one who made me never want to do a thing to disappoint him.

As I started getting a little older and seeing a little less of him and a little more of my friends he started to be the one who would embarrass me in front of my friends or at the store. It's so funny to think of it now, because he didn't do near the things I do in front of my kids, yet they are never embarrassed. For this I am happy.

My father was always big on cards. Birthday cards, Christmas cards, just because cards. He called me Robbie. I still have every card he ever gave me. As I got older and became a teenager, my name when from Robbie to Robyn to yes, Wild Thang. I get the biggest kick out of that. I guess that happened around the time I was 14-15.

By that time I realized that my father was yes, in a very important war. I still did not really know the term Veteran. My God if I knew at the age of fifteen that I would lose my father just six years later I would have held off wanting to grow up so fast. If I knew then what I know now it would all be different. I would have stayed a daddys girl for a little while longer. I would have spent more time with him going fishing, and less time with my boyfriend doing whatever unimportant thing I thought was so important.

But I didn't, and we can't go back and change what has already happened. Soon enough, I had my own child, a son. My father called him Scooter but would never hold him. I remember the day it was time for me to come home from the hospital. I called my father in tears. He said, "Whats the matter, Robbie?" I could hear the concern in his voice. I told him it was time for me to come home but the baby had to stay. My heart was breaking enough, and my fathers heart broke for me that day as well.

Sometimes I think back to my sons infancy and wonder if my father knew he was sick then, and that's why he never held my baby. I finally sat near him one day with Alexander and put him in his arms. My dads face lit up like it was Christmas. It has been many years since that day, but it is forever etched in my mind, and I won't soon forget it. I could not begin to know the day it was but I think my little scooter was about eight months old or so.

It was getting near a time I never thought I would see, at least not for years. My father took care of me all these years, now it was my turn to take care of him. He was sick. My father had cancer and we lost him three months later.

I have so many wonderful memories of my childhood and teenage years, even ones from adulthood. I never wanted to disappoint my father. About a week before his passing I was helping him to try and eat something and his eyes looked so dull. He had always had the prettiest blue eyes. Alexander has them. He looked up at me and said, "Robbie, do you think I am gonna make it?" I sucked in my tears and I said, "Of course you will, Daddy....."

That day was like yesterday, when in reality it has been almost seventeen years.

When I am walking along and I see a veteran, most often I will go to them and shake their hand, usually when I am alone. When I see someone all these years later who was in WWII, you better bet I am going to go to them. I understand now more than ever what a veteran is.

My father was a veteran of the United States Army Air Corps and served in World War II and I am the proudest daughter you will ever know.

RIP Robert Scott Nease. You will be loved and missed for all of my days....

Happy Veterans Day.
I'm the son of a WWII vet and nephew of four more. One didn't make it. I have his name.

You've written a beautiful tribute to your father and all veterans.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I'm the son of a WWII vet and nephew of four more. One didn't make it. I have his name.

You've written a beautiful tribute to your father and all veterans.
Well hello there! You are?! I have never spoken with another child of a WW2 vet. I imagine there are not really many my age, as I was born so much later in his life.

I am sorry to hear of the uncle who did not make it... =( We are surely blessed, indeed.

Thank you for your kind words... Happy Veterans Day

Last edited by Pikantari; 11-10-2011 at 07:51 PM..

Old 11-10-2011, 07:21 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Well hello there! You are?! I have never spoken with another child of a WW2 vet. I imagine they are not really many my age, as I was born so much later in his life.

I am sorry to hear of the uncle who did not make it... =( We are surely blessed, indeed.

Would you settle for a grandson of a WWII vet chiming in?

I want to remember my father (24 years in the Air Force; died earlier this year) and my grandfather (WWII vet) on this Veterans Day.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Would you settle for a grandson of a WWII vet chiming in?

I want to remember my father (24 years in the Air Force; died earlier this year) and my grandfather (WWII vet) on this Veterans Day.
Of course I would!!! Welcome Alanboy! I am so sorry for your loss.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:25 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,427,629 times
Beautiful, beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your memories of your father.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Beautiful, beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your memories of your father.
Thank you very much, and you are quite welcome. My father has become the center of many of my writings.... I can just see his face....

Old 11-10-2011, 07:40 PM

My fathers WWII picture

My son Alexander and I, still my baby

Another of My son and myself

That little Daddys girl named Robbie

His grown daughter Robyn, who will never forget

Last edited by Pikantari; 11-10-2011 at 08:24 PM..

Old 11-10-2011, 09:53 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Well hello there! You are?! I have never spoken with another child of a WW2 vet. I imagine there are not really many my age, as I was born so much later in his life.
My dad had me late in life, in fact he died when I was weeks old.

Quote:
My uncle was a fighter pilot, the youngest of the brothers and the only officer. He left Penn State to join the Air Corps and was shot down on a mission.

Quote:
Same to you.

Old 11-11-2011, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
My dad had me late in life, in fact he died when I was weeks old.

My uncle was a fighter pilot, the youngest of the brothers and the only officer. He left Penn State to join the Air Corps and was shot down on a mission.

Same to you.
Hi Lucario. Good morning and Happy Veterans day. I am wondering how old you are... I will be 38 next month...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships