Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 01:21 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times

Advertisements

I don't see that at all.

When I downloaded all my CDs to my computer, my then 16 year old nephew eagerly took all them, he was in a band at that time and they played mainly stuff that was MY parents generation, his older brother is into bands like The Door's, my SOs teen daughter mentioned she totally approved of my iPod due to the huge mix of music from every generation, and promptly chose a song by Heart.

Heck, the skater boy hair of a few years ago, looks like the hair on boys in the 1970's.

A bunch of us "old folks" were talking about that their didn't appear to be the generational gap now as it was when we were growing up. We're into current stuff, the kids like some of the old stuff.... there really is no us vs. them.

At least I'm not seeing it. The kids in our (rather large) family, can't wait for all the xmas parties, and holiday get togethers. I've heard them say the parents, aunties, grandmas... all the oldies are so much fun. They range in age from infant to 20s...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 01:32 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,762,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I don't see that at all.

When I downloaded all my CDs to my computer, my then 16 year old nephew eagerly took all them, he was in a band at that time and they played mainly stuff that was MY parents generation, his older brother is into bands like The Door's, my SOs teen daughter mentioned she totally approved of my iPod due to the huge mix of music from every generation, and promptly chose a song by Heart.

Heck, the skater boy hair of a few years ago, looks like the hair on boys in the 1970's.

A bunch of us "old folks" were talking about that their didn't appear to be the generational gap now as it was when we were growing up. We're into current stuff, the kids like some of the old stuff.... there really is no us vs. them.

At least I'm not seeing it. The kids in our (rather large) family, can't wait for all the xmas parties, and holiday get togethers. I've heard them say the parents, aunties, grandmas... all the oldies are so much fun. They range in age from infant to 20s...
Very nice to hear; thx for sharing! Admittedly, maybe some of what I'm thinking about has something about the geographic region where I live. (D.C. can be very current fashion-conscious, as in "I must have the latest/greatest/newest gadget out there", and most ppl are *very big* on only the latest clothing styles...most wouldn't be caught dead wearing anything even 5 years dated ) Around here, ppl regularly tote their nooks and kindles and iPads and tablet PCs (even laptops are considered "outdated", here! ). Makes me feel kinda "old" already, sometimes...and I'm not even 35 yet!

Old 11-13-2011, 01:38 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Very nice to hear; thx for sharing! Admittedly, maybe some of what I'm thinking about has something about the geographic region where I live. (D.C. can be very current fashion-conscious, as in "I must have the latest/greatest/newest gadget out there", and most ppl are *very big* on only the latest clothing styles...most wouldn't be caught dead wearing anything even 5 years dated ) Around here, ppl regularly tote their nooks and kindles and iPads and tablet PCs (even laptops are considered "outdated", here! ). Makes me feel kinda "old" already, sometimes...and I'm not even 35 yet!
Here, we are the opposite about fashion. Sundress, tanks, shorts, flipflops more often than not.

Shopping at "The Ross" or outlet stores is de rigueur, and hand me downs of clothes and furniture is handed back and forth in families until no one wants any of it, and all parties are potluck. We are NOT a pretentious state.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:36 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,572,509 times
I don't think the generations are "competing."

Have you noticed Forever21? The selections look like 70's thru 90's melted together. There are teenagers who don't mind Retro even in music and TV shows.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:42 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,905 times
Quote:
why not just accept all generational influences as equally valid?
I think in order for this to happen, it takes these two things, respect for individual differences and a sense of humor.

If my daughter rolled her eyes at me, I would say "eye rolling was so 90's"

Old 11-14-2011, 09:18 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,317,420 times
I was lucky! My parents were open to new music and new styles when I was growing up..And I grew up during the "youth revolution" back in the 50's and 60's. I was "there" when "rock and roll" was "born" and took hold!...My parents were naturally curious people and they enjoyed "new things." And I still enjoyed Frank Sinatra and "show tunes" and Big Band music along with "rock and roll" too!...Every now and then my parents "put their foot down" over a new style that I wanted to wear because they felt that a bikini was too skimpy or an outfit was too wild or gaudy etc. But all in all I had a lot of leeway...I've always been open to "new" too. I don't want to hide out in a "cave" and pretend that I still live in the 80's. When my husband was alive we loved to dance to "Hip Hop" music when we went out. (In our 60's.)...My son loves to hear about the "old days" and he keeps me updated about new things that come out on the market. We listen to "oldies" together and new music too...One thing I don't like is the pressure to "upgrade" to new electronic gadgets all the time. Or pressure to keep remodeling our homes. (To keep up with all of the latest trends and styles etc.).. When I was growing up new things didn't come out on the market at such a rapid rate. (And fast pace!) I like to "enjoy what I have" for a little while.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:57 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,317,420 times
Quote:
I agree...It probably does depend on "where we live" and our "circle of friends" etc...I don't have much in common with people who constantly "upgrade." I enjoy being aware of new trends and new products etc. But I just don't feel an urge to rush right out and buy every new thing that comes out on the market. And my closest friends don't either! So I don't seem like a "freak" or "weirdo" among my peers....I would probably "stick out" in big ways if I decided to move to Beverly Hills or some other affluent suburb or upscale area like you do! When I've lived in these type of areas (in the past) I always found a few renegades and "downhome" people (like me) to spend time with! Thank goodness! Good luck finding people who share your values!

Old 11-15-2011, 08:34 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
I encourage cross-generational knowledge-sharing by paying my 14-year-old for correctly guessing the name of the artist when we hear a song from the olden days (60s-90s)

I was so proud last night when she was awarded two francs for getting Johnny Rotten on "World Destruction." (the addition of Africa Bambaata would have netted her a tenner, but...she is still so young )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships