Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2011, 04:32 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I know this thread is directed at women, but I just had a guy do this to me on OkCupid. It was kind of funny. I didn't even send him a message, but I just gave his profile a 4-star rating because I thought he was cute. (For those who don't know, you can rate profiles on OkCupid from one to five stars, and if you give someone four or five stars, they'll get an e-mail informing them that you gave them a high rating). So he sends me a message saying, "Thanks for the rating!" I guess he was trying to be polite or whatever, but it's not like I gave him a high rating out of the goodness of my heart. Either use it as an opening to talk to me or just ignore it! The "thanks" was just so unnecessary in that instance, in my opinion. It's like, way to rub it in that you're not interested! lol
Then you knew he'd recieve an email. If you had no interest other than, hey you're cute, why would a simple Thank you be a problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 04:39 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Then you knew he'd recieve an email. If you had no interest other than, hey you're cute, why would a simple Thank you be a problem?
I don't personally send "thank you's" when I receive high ratings because I highly doubt the person wants a "thanks" back for something like that. If I send a high rating, it's with the ulterior motive of persuading the guy to message me (which he did, but he just said the wrong thing. lol). I just think something casual like a "wink" or a "4-star" rating can safely be ignored if you have no interest in further communication.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:48 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
I know this thread is directed at women, but I just had a guy do this to me on OkCupid. It was kind of funny. I didn't even send him a message, but I just gave his profile a 4-star rating because I thought he was cute. (For those who don't know, you can rate profiles on OkCupid from one to five stars, and if you give someone four or five stars, they'll get an e-mail informing them that you gave them a high rating). So he sends me a message saying, "Thanks for the rating!" I guess he was trying to be polite or whatever, but it's not like I gave him a high rating out of the goodness of my heart. Either use it as an opening to talk to me or just ignore it! The "thanks" was just so unnecessary in that instance, in my opinion. It's like, way to rub it in that you're not interested! lol
exactly

Old 11-15-2011, 04:52 PM

Quote:
I don't personally send "thank you's" when I receive high ratings because I highly doubt the person wants a "thanks" back for something like that. If I send a high rating, it's with the ulterior motive of persuading the guy to message me (which he did, but he just said the wrong thing. lol). I just think something casual like a "wink" or a "4-star" rating can safely be ignored if you have no interest in further communication.
I don't see the point of sending a wink or rating looks. Just get up the courage to send an actual message to start a conversation.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:04 PM

Quote:
I don't see the point of sending a wink or rating looks. Just get up the courage to send an actual message to start a conversation.
Eh, different strokes... I think winks and ratings are fine as a quick way to gauge interest.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Eh, different strokes... I think winks and ratings are fine as a quick way to gauge interest.
Makes sense.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:39 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
In my profile it says if you aren't what I'm looking for, then I will not respond. I'm pretty specific on what I want so my actions reflect who contacts me

Old 11-15-2011, 09:47 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,547,809 times
Quote:
Sounds like a dating website for teens.

Old 11-16-2011, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
Sounds like a dating website for teens.
Haha, OkCupid is actually my favorite among the free sites. I've met some cool people there...much higher quality folks than Plenty of Fish where most of the men seem to be uneducated hoodlums (at least in my city). I'm at the point where I'm blocking almost everyone who messages me on that site.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:23 AM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships