Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 12:20 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,032,904 times

Advertisements

.....before it becomes kind of really weird that he's never had a girlfriend before?

And for a girl, to have never had a boyfriend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 12:39 PM

44,369 posts, read 20,070,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
.....before it becomes kind of really weird that he's never had a girlfriend before?

I don't think one can set a specific age limit. It would depend on the circumstances.

If a teenager or young adult is focusing on education and getting a career off the ground, he or she may not be able to fit dating into their life yet.

If, on the other hand, the person is not dating because they are socially inept or awkward, it may become more and more difficult to start dating as time passes. In that case, the person might benefit from some advice from friends or from professional counseling to help him or her better deal with the opposite sex in social situations.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:44 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,272,092 times

I mean, I'd look at someone who is 22 and never had a boyfriend or girlfriend as a little bit strange. Usually people at least have some kind of relationship by then, even if it's only high school relationship for 6 months.

But by 24, you should have been able to establish some kind of mutual relationship. By 27, it's freakish not to.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:57 PM

31,081 posts, read 22,094,503 times
Wierd-24
Really weird-32

Old 12-07-2011, 01:00 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,744,394 times
I'm going to say 25. By that age you're normally past your dorkish vacillation and have some confidence in yourself as person. There are always exceptions but I would consider it weird not to have some kind of relationship by 25.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:02 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,584,880 times
I'm 22 and I think I'm past the mark, when I've told people I've never had a girlfriend people go like "WHAAAT? are you gay?"

Old 12-07-2011, 01:05 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,198,960 times
Teens or early twenties, depending on the society.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:11 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post

Depends on the crowd you hang out with.

I know a few guys in their mid 30s who have never had a relationship (far as I know) and they are far from freakish guys.

So my answer is never...

In terms of what 'most' of society thinks, probably around 30 year old virgin for a man is the real line of demarcation.

People need to open their eyes and realize how tough some people have it.

Human society really is the pits...

Old 12-07-2011, 01:23 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post

I mean, I'd look at someone who is 22 and never had a boyfriend or girlfriend as a little bit strange. Usually people at least have some kind of relationship by then, even if it's only high school relationship for 6 months.

But by 24, you should have been able to establish some kind of mutual relationship. By 27, it's freakish not to.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
YOU need to get out and meet more people or open your eyes.

There's TONS of guys who have never had a girlfriend by their mid 20s. They may have gotten laid a few times, but no girlfriend. I can rattle of at least 3 or 4 just from the last job I had.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:31 PM

733 posts, read 1,664,181 times
I know a small group of girl friends I went to high school with who are all around 25 and who never ever went on a proper date (to my knowledge), nor had a boyfriend. I don't find it weird because I know they have attractive personalities that would be compatible with a lot of guys. Problem is, they are too picky (or claim to be picky to justify the lack of romantic relationships) and they don't put themselves out there enough. They got it in their head that romance is like a Disney film and they should just wait for the Prince Charming to show up and sweep them off their feet.

I know they are nice girls with great future, but I am sort of worried about them now... so are their parents.

But I digressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships