Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 10:03 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

I'm not denying some people can have romantic platonic relationships. Asexuals, perhaps, but is it really exploring the depth of what a romantic relationship/bond truly is? After all, the purpose of romance is to build a bond between a partner to raise children which would logically include a sexual component.

While sex without romance is possible, can true romance without sex exist?

Yes there are old couples who do not have sex anymore...but that bond was built largely through a physical relationship over decades.

I used to separate sex and love, but now I don't think they're completely separable, it's not 'one or the other.' If I may say so the moment of orgasm, for instance, is kind of like the chemical culmination of attraction both physical and emotional. Like a drug, it's kind of both. It totally possess your being - physically and emotionally.

I'm not suggesting the answer to a loveless marriage is always sex - quality counts more than quantity - but rather the innate nature of romantic love, and if sex is an integral and major part of it.

I know a lot of relationships today are based mostly on the physical component, but the way I see it, both are required to work together. One cannot emphasize one over the other.

This is different from LOVE, mind you. I'm speaking of particular ROMANTIC LOVE, not other types of love like 'agape' love. Love for your children or family might be deeper than that of your spouse (it seems it often is, despite what many say) but since it's ultimate purpose is not to create new life and raise it, but to strengthen existing bonds, it's of a different quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 10:57 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
What is a "romantic platonic relationship".....I can understand a "platonic relationship", but not a romantic one.....I always thought that a romantic love included sex.....though sex does not necessarily include romance.eg: sex with a prostitute.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:58 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
as a rule sex destroyed romance. wanting is much more a strong lasting emotion than getting. the
mind will go for years clinging to the imaginary. it explains my relationship with sara palin and my great patience.
if i squint i can almost see russia.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:01 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
What is a "romantic platonic relationship".....I can understand a "platonic relationship", but not a romantic one.....I always thought that a romantic love included sex.....though sex does not necessarily include romance.eg: sex with a prostitute.
I believe it can exist, but my question is whether it encompasses the totality of the potential of the romantic bond?

Some people who claim to be asexual fall in love too. They may have all the emotional feelings of 'falling in love', be infatuated with the person, have romantic dinners - they just aren't interested in sex. I do believe they might have romantic sexual orientations - i.e. be romantically attracted to a certain gender while physically being interested in neither.

I've experienced it myself to a degree. Having a virtually romantic interest in a girl I didn't find physically attractive. Of course those usually ended up as friends, though.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:08 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
I suppose romance may be able to exist without sex. I mean, people can meet, date, and fall in love without having sex first, or even during these phases.

That said, I think intimacy will (or at least can) enhance the true romance. However, it depends on how the intimacy is. Sex for the sake of going through the mechanical activity for self gratification is not romance. Intimacy, however, for the satisfaction, closeness, and emotional connection between the couple can very much enhance the romantic experience.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:48 AM

31,050 posts, read 22,077,427 times
"While sex without romance is possible, can true romance without sex exist?"

Like said above, it can probably exists in Asexuals?

I believe the amount of chemicals that are released when you have "high quality sex" lead to a certain amount of Imprinting. You can have a caring romantic loving relationship with someone with out sex and that is good and special. But, when you add close Passionate, Intiment contact between a man and a woman Making Love you just moved it to a whole other level

Old 01-30-2012, 11:59 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,761,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
While sex without romance is possible, can true romance without sex exist?
Yes. Have been there quite frequently myself...for me personally, the feeling of "falling in love" happens almost 99.99% of the time for me, before feelings of physical desire occur.

Quote:
This is different from LOVE, mind you. I'm speaking of particular ROMANTIC LOVE, not other types of love like 'agape' love. Love for your children or family might be deeper than that of your spouse (it seems it often is, despite what many say) but since it's ultimate purpose is not to create new life and raise it, but to strengthen existing bonds, it's of a different quality.
(Referring to bolded portion above.) I respectfully disagree, since I believe that romantic can be and has the potential to be, agape love and/or unconditional love. Also, to me, at least IMO, a potential beloved spouse *is* my very closest family to me, as far as I am concerned.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:10 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,257,464 times
I have had romantic relationships without sex. They exist.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:24 PM

297 posts, read 726,505 times
In my opinion (from a man)...

Women are different from men.

Men can easily separate sex from love. Men can have sex with anyone and not have any love feelings for that person. It is a need like eating. You eat and you are no longer hungry. And men can get quite emotionally attached to others (male or female) without ever having sex with them. Animals too.

Women on the other hand (in my opinion again) are different. It seems to me sex is intertwined with love. They are not easily separated. Evidence of this is when a woman finds a man "cheating". Her reaction is that the man "loves" the other person he is having sex with. Not so in many cases!

Anyway people are different. I'm sure there are men who are different than what I described above and as well as women. But in general those are my observations.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:28 PM

391 posts, read 688,087 times
Without all the analysis... yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships