Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 10:52 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,035,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmb View Post
If my assumptions are anywhere close to the truth, I think he is being a gentleman by not having this conversation. Further it seems a shame that she is so dense that she isn't picking up on the clues. Her friends would be doing her a huge favor by taking her aside and explaining that if someone isn't responding they probably aren't interested. If the situation was different, say if he was hounding her and she wasn't returning his calls, most people would think him a creep. I don't want to call the girl a creep, but she does need to figure some things out.
IMO it's cowardly, not gentlemanly, to not say something. It's not her job to guess or mindread.

Him not being honest means everything is an assumption, speculation, guessing, overanalyzing, essentially wasting her time trying to figure out him out.

If people spent more time being honest (not blunt and rude but just plain honest) then maybe others wouldn't end up so jaded in the dating world and having skewed views of the opposite sex. Sure it might sting at first, but in hindsight, I think just about everyone would appreciate the honesty rather than the game-playing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 11:25 AM

663 posts, read 1,082,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmb;
Ok. I'm reading between the lines here, so I admit I could be wrong. I know such an admission is pretty unheard of but here goes...

He had 4 dates with her with a little make out session on date 3. Now I'm assuming he's not an 80 y/o man where the primary reason to date is to find someone to accompany him to the all you can eat senior buffet--probably he's looking for some form of romantic relationship complete with satisfying physical contact. If there was no contact on date 4, following contact on date 3 that probably means the make out session on date 3 was unsatisfactory and/or the girl doesn't want to have a physical relationship.

If that's the case I'm glad he isn't pressuring her to do something she doesn't want and I don't see why he has to continue seeing someone who isn't going to be able to give him what he wants. As to the convo everyone thinks he should have with her: these two would seem to be looking for vastly different things in a relationship and it would be very hard for him to tell her the truth without making it seem sort of high pressure on her.

If my assumptions are anywhere close to the truth, I think he is being a
gentleman by not having this conversation. Further it seems a shame that she is so dense that she isn't picking up on the clues. Her friends would be doing her a huge favor by taking her aside and explaining that if someone isn't responding they probably aren't interested. If the situation was different, say if he was hounding her and she wasn't returning his calls, most people would think him a creep. I don't want to call the girl a creep, but she does need to
figure some things out.

It is a shame she isn't picking up on the clues. However, also seems a shame he can't be honest with her. Doesn't have to be a speech.

You know, some people are always "connected" (texting, FB, etc) and their communication needs/wants are more than others. People who text a lot drive me crazy....I don't have a lot of "needs" that way. Perhaps the girl in question is an avid texter, etc to everyone she knows and the OP is far overestimating her interest in him and/or how much she'd actually be letdown. I could be wrong and maybe she's just a creeper who doesn't get it, who knows?

Also depends on the age....my 20yo daughter has a boyfriend and she is glued to her phone. She has girl and guy friends, very extroverted. She texts a lot. I think most (not all) people her age are like that. I would be hard pressed to assume anything by the number of texts she sends...she's a talker. She texts her boyfriend a lot but she isn't necessarily that serious about him. He's moving two states away next summer, he's asked her more than once to move with him, she's told him no each time he's asked. Alternatively, he rarely ever texts her or is on FB and from all appearances, he is way more serious about her.

The OP doesn't know if she'll be all heartbroken or go nuts, he's just
assuming. Perhaps he really is "all that" but who knows. He could just be giving himself way more credit than what is warranted. Maybe, maybe not.

Besides, if he was really that into her otherwise the avid texting wouldn't be
an issue. He'd either ignore the vast majority of it or ask her to slow it down some.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:34 AM

663 posts, read 1,082,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmb;
Ok. I'm reading between the lines here, so I admit I could be wrong. I know such an admission is pretty unheard of but here goes...

He had 4 dates with her with a little make out session on date 3. Now I'm assuming he's not an 80 y/o man where the primary reason to date is to find someone to accompany him to the all you can eat senior buffet--probably he's looking for some form of romantic relationship complete with satisfying physical contact. If there was no contact on date 4, following contact on date 3 that probably means the make out session on date 3 was unsatisfactory and/or the girl doesn't want to have a physical relationship.

If that's the case I'm glad he isn't pressuring her to do something she doesn't want and I don't see why he has to continue seeing someone who isn't going to be able to give him what he wants. As to the convo everyone thinks he should have with her: these two would seem to be looking for vastly different things in a relationship and it would be very hard for him to tell her the truth without making it seem sort of high pressure on her.

If my assumptions are anywhere close to the truth, I think he is being a gentleman by not having this conversation. Further it seems a shame that she is so dense that she isn't picking up on the clues. Her friends would be doing her a huge favor by taking her aside and explaining that if someone isn't responding they probably aren't interested. If the situation was different, say if he was hounding her and she wasn't returning his calls, most people would think him a creep. I don't want to call the girl a creep, but she does need to figure some things out.

You could be right about your reading between the lines, but who knows. The OP didn't provide much detail so in any case, it's a lot of guessing and little more.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:09 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Tell her you have an STD.......

Seriously though, just dwindle communication. Make it clear there is no romance option.
lol. the first sentence will suffice to have her gone.that plus a post-it will cement the deal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships