Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 07:14 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times

Advertisements

As stated in a previous post one of my best friends is female. There is nothing sexual about our relationship never has been. When my female friend was looking for a place to move out, she asked me if I would be intrested in sharing a place with her & her son. I told her no because I didn't think it would be right nor do I want my GF to worry about if anything was going on or not. Not to mention she is supposed to be moving down here in Feb, March. She got quiet for a minute when I tolf my GF this. I asked what's wrong she said I did the right thing by telling her no. Then she said I trust you but not her I've heard this before but often wondered if there is some hidden meaning by it. I don't want to cause any waves but I thought it was best if I told her about it. Better to hear it from me then someone else right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 07:18 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
It means exactly what it sounds like. She trusts you but not her. Basically, she trusts that you won't cheat on her but she doesn't trust that your friend won't try to make you.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
It means exactly what it sounds like. She trusts you but not her. Basically, she trusts that you won't cheat on her but she doesn't trust that your friend won't try to make you.

Is she asking me in some way to stay away from her or at least limit my time with her?

Old 12-19-2011, 07:23 PM

60 posts, read 141,981 times
You are being honest by telling her. By doing this, you are earning the trust. And she also indirectly hinting you not to get too close to her.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Is she asking me in some way to stay away from her or at least limit my time with her?
Hmm... I can't really speak for her but I would say that if she doesn't trust her - she probably wouldn't feel comfortable with you spending a lot of time by yourself with her. If you are really close friends with this other woman and you know that she only wants a friendship with you - I would express this to your girlfriend. She might believe you, she might not. But I would say that you took the first step in the right direction in being honest about the situation with her. Hopefully, if your relationship with this other woman is genuinely complete platonic (and it sounds like it is on your end, for sure), then in time - your girlfriend will learn to trust her as well and there will be no issues. Unless your girlfriend has major trust issues - but that's a whole other can of worms!

Old 12-19-2011, 07:34 PM

733 posts, read 1,663,660 times
You handled that well. No worries.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:35 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times
Quote:
and it sounds like it is on your end, for sure
It always is - on ONE end that is.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
your girlfriend will learn to trust her as well and there will be no issues. Unless your girlfriend has major trust issues - but that's a whole other can of worms!

I think to some extent we all have some hidden trust issues. When my GF moves here we're moving to another town two hours north of here. My friend is moving back to North Carolina at some point in time. So I don't think that they will get close at any point.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I think to some extent we all have some hidden trust issues. When my GF moves here we're moving to another town two hours north of here. My friend is moving back to North Carolina at some point in time. So I don't think that they will get close at any point.
Of course we all have trust issues - but there is a difference between being mildly jealous (as in needing some extra reassurances now and then) and being insanely jealous (as in telling you who you can and can't be friends with).

Old 12-20-2011, 02:40 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,925,526 times
OP, I'm sure you know about all the codes and what they really mean.

It's not you, it's me = It's you.
You're like a brother to me = I'm not having sex with you
I love you but I'm not in love with you = I don't love you.

Sorry, but
It's not you I don't trust, it's her = I don't trust you.

She's just being subtle, she is untrusting, but doesn't want to admit it, so tries to shift the blame onto the 3rd party to avoid seeming confrontational.
It's not necessarily a bad thing, or a red flag, but obviously your relationship isn't at a stage where your SO is comfortable with what's going on.

It's nice that you want to help your friend, but you need to find another way, methinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships