Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 09:07 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Thanks Chamataka, I guess nothing good or bad lasts forever. Thats a relief after the last few years. Not out of the woods yet, as I still need a job.
"The biggest fear is fear itself" - Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"The worst thing that can happen is that I will be dead tomorrow, but it will be written that I died fighting" - Scipio Africanus on the eve of Zama

Sex up your resume now and land a job. Then you can take her to better places
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 09:22 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
"The biggest fear is fear itself" - Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"The worst thing that can happen is that I will be dead tomorrow, but it will be written that I died fighting" - Scipio Africanus on the eve of Zama

Sex up your resume now and land a job. Then you can take her to better places
Umm, I don't think you understand. My resume is sexed up. My career field (financial services) is a disaster. I have incredible qualifications, but its gotten to the point where I'm going to have to change career fields. At 43, how do I do that???

Old 12-18-2011, 09:30 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Umm, I don't think you understand. My resume is sexed up. My career field (financial services) is a disaster. I have incredible qualifications, but its gotten to the point where I'm going to have to change career fields. At 43, how do I do that???
Ok, it's not you. It's your domain, which I have to admit is seriously shredded at the moment. Did you look up healthcare lines of business which often need financial services guys to run their finances. They will not pay as much, but it will be a good place to hide until banking and financials heal. Maybe you already tried it, but I'm just saying.

To make matters worse, MF Global is snowballing into a major crisis. Who is affected by their tentacles is not clear yet and will explode next year. I would suggest wild things like looking at the mid-West. I don't know, I don't know your situation and flexibility.

I hope you find something soon.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:40 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
It's not what you know but who you know.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:06 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Ok, it's not you. It's your domain, which I have to admit is seriously shredded at the moment. Did you look up healthcare lines of business which often need financial services guys to run their finances. They will not pay as much, but it will be a good place to hide until banking and financials heal. Maybe you already tried it, but I'm just saying.

To make matters worse, MF Global is snowballing into a major crisis. Who is affected by their tentacles is not clear yet and will explode next year. I would suggest wild things like looking at the mid-West. I don't know, I don't know your situation and flexibility.

I hope you find something soon.

Yep, absolutely right. MF Global is yet another huge issue, not to mention Europe. Our economy is fragile as it is. This has been the slowest economic recovery in history. I've considered the Mid West. I'm looking everywhere. I'd have to let my house go, but I don't care, as its the house I was married in. The bank can have it.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:42 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times
Smile Really happy for you....keep it going

Quote:
Yeah spinx, many of those stories were mine. Been a hard 3-4 years for me.

Thanks Chamataka, I guess nothing good or bad lasts forever. Thats a relief after the last few years. Not out of the woods yet, as I still need a job.
I've read some of your sadder posts and I'm just happy for you!

Old 12-19-2011, 06:57 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,521,798 times
Nice to hear some success stories once in a while, now send some of that luck my way

Old 12-19-2011, 07:14 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
Quote:
I've been out of the dating game for so long that I'm not sure where to go or what to plan anymore. I was with my ex-wife for 7 years and divorced for the last 2 years. I've barely dated. But I have a last minute date with a woman I met online tonight. I don't want to spend a lot of money because I'm not working, hence another reason I haven't tried to date. But I do think this one has potential. Should I just stick to coffee or do something else?

I am in Atlanta, so anyone from here please chime in.
Yes. I would stick to the brief coffee shop chat for the first meeting. Who knows, you may not even like her after the first meeting.

If all goes well you can do a park day. Picnic basket with some snacks (crackers, fruit, yogart) Have fun talking on a blanket and enjoying the surroundings. That shouldn't cost you too much.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:28 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlilac View Post
Personally, I'm not too keen on going for coffee on a first date. First dates are supposed to be glamorous, memorable, and magical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Coffee dates are something to do when talking with a random woman and want to continue the conversation immediatley that day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by funymann View Post
Yes. I would stick to the brief coffee shop chat for the first meeting. Who knows, you may not even like her after the first meeting.
I'm glad the date went well and that things look hopeful for a continuation. Have to say, though, that a couple of posters (two quoted above) got it all wrong in my opinion by not reading the OP properly. Funnily enough the only one who got it right, flung in his post obviously without reading any of the responses (third quoted).

This wasn't an arranged date with someone the OP had already met. He said, "...I have a last minute date with a woman I met online tonight." This scenario has been hashed out in countless threads and the consensus seems to run over 90% that when meeting a blind date off an internet dating site, the sensible thing to do is meet in a public place for the proverbial coffee and take it from there ...

Old 12-19-2011, 08:32 AM

733 posts, read 1,663,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I'm glad the date went well and that things look hopeful for a continuation. Have to say, though, that a couple of posters (two quoted above) got it all wrong in my opinion by not reading the OP properly. Funnily enough the only one who got it right, flung in his post obviously without reading any of the responses (third quoted).

This wasn't an arranged date with someone the OP had already met. He said, "...I have a last minute date with a woman I met online tonight." This scenario has been hashed out in countless threads and the consensus seems to run over 90% that when meeting a blind date off an internet dating site, the sensible thing to do is meet in a public place for the proverbial coffee and take it from there ...
Oh you

Let's just agree to disagree.

Happy holidays everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships