Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 01:27 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,811,259 times

Advertisements

I've been out of the dating game for so long that I'm not sure where to go or what to plan anymore. I was with my ex-wife for 7 years and divorced for the last 2 years. I've barely dated. But I have a last minute date with a woman I met online tonight. I don't want to spend a lot of money because I'm not working, hence another reason I haven't tried to date. But I do think this one has potential. Should I just stick to coffee or do something else?

I am in Atlanta, so anyone from here please chime in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 02:14 PM

19,008 posts, read 29,801,623 times
Tell her you guys can start off with some low-profile, low-pressure rendez-vous and get her to a starbucks or some local authentic coffee shop, and then follow it up with a walk in the park or hanging out and around. That shud get you no more than 20 bucks

Don't spend too much unless you are damn sure she is worth it

Old 12-18-2011, 02:20 PM

19,008 posts, read 29,801,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Tell her you guys can start off with some low-profile, low-pressure rendez-vous and get her to a starbucks or some local authentic coffee shop, and then follow it up with a walk in the park or hanging out and around. That shud get you no more than 20 bucks

I wish I could follow my own advice. Somehow my bills escalate That's what I'm saying, people, and that holds true to all you advice givers. It's ALWAYS easy to advice other people than to follow it ourselves.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:23 PM

733 posts, read 1,667,256 times
Personally, I'm not too keen on going for coffee on a first date. First dates are supposed to be glamorous, memorable, and magical. Some appropriate form of dressing up should be involved, to maximize the chance of both parties making a great first impression. With that said, I'd be plenty satisfied with dinner followed by some sort of activity (movie, mini-golf, show, etc).

For a guy dating on a budget, I'd suggest you take her out for a meal, and if you like her enough during the date, then you can discuss seeing a movie or something later, otherwise, just end the date after the meal.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:24 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,122,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post

I kind of agree with AC here. If it's the first time you are going to meet keep it simple. Walk in the park, coffee, museum, maybe lunch...something where you can get to know eachother in an informal setting.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlilac View Post
Personally, I'm not too keen on going for coffee on a first date. First dates are supposed to be glamorous, memorable, and magical. Some appropriate form of dressing up should be involved, to maximize the chance of both parties making a great first impression.
I admit, I've been out of the dating scene for quite some time, but for me, that would be too much pressure and effort for someone I've never met in person.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:29 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,811,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
I admit, I've been out of the dating scene for quite some time, but for me, that would be too much pressure and effort for someone I've never met in person.
I agree. Looks like it will be dinner of some sort. We were going to meet this afternoon, but she sort of changed the plan (strike 1, lol). So looks like dinner or drinks and I'm hoping not too much cash.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post

That's probably true. But going for coffee? Yes it is efficient and hassle free, but there is no fun in that. I could be the minority though, apparently a lot of girls do prefer the coffee idea.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlilac View Post
That's probably true. But going for coffee? Yes it is efficient and hassle free, but there is no fun in that. I could be the minority though, apparently a lot of girls do prefer the coffee idea.
Well I like coffee...but if the meet up was going well I wouldn't want to kiss someone with coffee breath! Although way back when, I never kissed on the first date anyway.

I think some kind of exhibit or museum would be a happy medium. If it's going well it could always segway into lunch or dinner afterwards.

Old 12-18-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I agree. Looks like it will be dinner of some sort. We were going to meet this afternoon, but she sort of changed the plan (strike 1, lol). So looks like dinner or drinks and I'm hoping not too much cash.
I think you are approaching this wrong. Dates should not be a burden, financially or otherwise. Have fun on them! Do something that both you and her would enjoy, so even if things don't work out, it's still a fun night out with plenty of giggles and laughs.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships