Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 02:58 PM

8 posts, read 6,920 times

Advertisements

Hi to everyone,
I' m a girl from Italy, and I found your forum while I was searching online to have a more complete idea on the similarities and the differencies about Europe and America, because in february 2011 I met at a dinner in Milan an american man from the Army, and it was love at first sight. I discovered I was blushing because I saw him blushing, it was really a coup de foudre. We engaged, and now just before Christmas he asked me to marry him.

I wasn't expected this, but I said yes, so now I'm "doing my culture" on american uses and mindset. We talk a lot about family and children, and this is very touching to me.

Reading here and there, I found some strange ideas about southern europeans, like the stereotype the mediterranean men are all latin lovers.

I only recently discovered what is a 'guidos', and this made me lifting my eyebrows.

Unluckily, the 'guido' stereotype is very far from my average connationals.

Some months ago, on Sudetendeutsch newspaper, appeared an article entitled: 'Italy, what's going on?We were so much in love with you', refferring to the fact that germans are finding italians very distant from the stereotypical imaginary.

Based on the Sudetendeutsch article, Italians ( but also Spanishes, Belgians, Frenches and Portugueses, for not to speak about the Greeks, who are silently dying ) aren't very much more funny, and this is the complex sensation all around Europe.

Europeans are suffering for the crisis, and everything is very different from the worldwide idea that is going on.

I see my connationals all concerned about businness, when they go out it's not for the common place to have fun but only to distract the mind. They are more stressed and some of them even depressed.

As for the 'latin lover' stereotype, Italians still dress good for a sense of taste, but not for attracting women as everyone thinks, it's more a cultural attitude. And they tend to be more cold and pensive, and even if they smile, this doesn't mean they want to attract you in their life: they have too much thoughts and concerns to think to family again.

Italy along with Spain is the country with the lowest birthrate of Europe, 1.3 and only because there are some immigrants who have babies, otherwise Italians tend to have one child if nothing at all.

You can say people are afraid to marry or withouth strenghtness to make a family in this epocal changing.

There still are in Old Europe some ethernal thing: just before Christmas is a tradition to go to a Christmas concert, or in historical theatres or in cathedrals, and there's still the mindset to visit all friends and relatives, so in these last days Italians move to visit everyone, but the 'Dolce Vita' is over for what I can see.

A french friend of mine said me in France things are going slowly in the same direction.

I can agree when I read Italians and more generally southern europeans tend to escape from engagement, but it's not for conquering all the hearts, but for instability of the situation.

When I met my future husband, me too I was surprised of his own willing to engage, I didn't expect this so 'brave' step.

I have a lot of charming, accultured friends even with good position but who, in these moments of incertitude, prefer to look at their own life in the most individualistic sense, and living a single life and going to ski in Switzerland or to the casinò for Saint Silvester than engaging with a woman, even the most beautiful and nice.

But this is not for 'latin lover attitude': it's the frailty of life that suggests them to be so volatile beings.

It can be called a 'self- centered attitude', but I only call this fear.

Unluckily Italians, and most in general European men, even the most 'hard' northerners, feel the Age of the Centuries on their shoulders, and maybe they have become 'thin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 03:03 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,713,752 times
I read this and all I can say is that....... I love the European school of thought - very educated, elitist (in a good way) and polished by nature. Haven't read such a culturally rich collection of paragraphs in a LONG time

Have a wonderful married life. Old Europe is always the best.

Do European women have a thing for brown boys? I know German women do, but they aren't very articulate, like the more exothermic cultures like Gallic, Britannic and Roman ones.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I read this and all I can say is that....... I love the European school of thought - very educated, elitist (in a good way) and polished by nature. Haven't read such a culturally rich collection of paragraphs in a LONG time

Have a wonderful married life. Old Europe is always the best.

Do European women have a thing for brown boys? I know German women do, but they aren't very articulate, like the more exothermic cultures like Gallic, Britannic and Roman ones.
Oh God... thank you... sorry, sir, but... where do you find this little post accultured? i don't think to have been...

I cannot answer to your question sir, because every taste is a taste, and I think surely there are europeans who love 'brown'( brown? )boys, it's a matter of feelings, u love what you feel right for you!

Old 12-25-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giuliaclaudia View Post
Oh God... thank you... sorry, sir, but... where do you find this little post accultured? i don't think to have been...

I cannot answer to your question sir, because every taste is a taste, and I think surely there are europeans who love 'brown'( brown? )boys, it's a matter of feelings, u love what you feel right for you!
I'm a Europhile, a hardcore one. Your post interweaves the major cultural hot spots of Western and Central Europe, the current crisis that has engulfed the Euro zone and the great sense of collusion you have with your European peers. Pan-European identity as a concept is rich in the cross-section of your message.

Would make for great conversation.

I wish the Italian women over here were at least 50% of real and original Italian women like you. American Italian culture is more about food, noisy families and skewed Catholicism. But that would make a wholly different conversation.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I'm a Europhile, a hardcore one. Your post interweaves the major cultural hot spots of Western and Central Europe, the current crisis that has engulfed the Euro zone and the great sense of collusion you have with your European peers. Pan-European identity as a concept is rich in the cross-section of your message.

Would make for great conversation.

I wish the Italian women over here were at least 50% of real and original Italian women like you. American Italian culture is more about food, noisy families and skewed Catholicism. But that would make a wholly different conversation.
Thank you very much... I don't really know much about Italian American culture, I discover sometimes some things that are very far from my conception, i think every place in the end creates his own original pattern based on soil and social condition, this isn't a 'blut und boden' argument, but only a geopolitical fact...

I can say that Europe is a Continent in the geopolitical sense, but not anymore in administrative... it seems that, apart from the banking system, we have to suffer to create this... there's a traditiona, secular aspect for every european, mainly a roman and a carolingian heritage, but this is perceived differently from country to country.

I'm Catholic, of course, and my future husband protestant... he wanted to know everything about the Vatican

He was very much attracted by the Order of Malta in Rome of course, and I gifted him of a Maltese Cross, he felt a knight... of course to enter there a person need to have a very ancient and nobiliar ancestry. It's not a 'popular catholicism'! But even more fascinating.

yeah, catholicism here is very different, made of some precise rituals as in the greek-byzantine eastern church and a lot of esoterism in it.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:42 PM

936 posts, read 2,060,861 times
Quote:
Hi to everyone,
I' m a girl from Italy, and I found your forum while I was searching online to have a more complete idea on the similarities and the differencies about Europe and America, because in february 2011 I met at a dinner in Milan an american man from the Army, and it was love at first sight. I discovered I was blushing because I saw him blushing, it was really a coup de foudre. We engaged, and now just before Christmas he asked me to marry him.

I wasn't expected this, but I said yes, so now I'm "doing my culture" on american uses and mindset. We talk a lot about family and children, and this is very touching to me.

Reading here and there, I found some strange ideas about southern europeans, like the stereotype the mediterranean men are all latin lovers.

I only recently discovered what is a 'guidos', and this made me lifting my eyebrows.

Unluckily, the 'guido' stereotype is very far from my average connationals.

Some months ago, on Sudetendeutsch newspaper, appeared an article entitled: 'Italy, what's going on?We were so much in love with you', refferring to the fact that germans are finding italians very distant from the stereotypical imaginary.

Based on the Sudetendeutsch article, Italians ( but also Spanishes, Belgians, Frenches and Portugueses, for not to speak about the Greeks, who are silently dying ) aren't very much more funny, and this is the complex sensation all around Europe.

Europeans are suffering for the crisis, and everything is very different from the worldwide idea that is going on.

I see my connationals all concerned about businness, when they go out it's not for the common place to have fun but only to distract the mind. They are more stressed and some of them even depressed.

As for the 'latin lover' stereotype, Italians still dress good for a sense of taste, but not for attracting women as everyone thinks, it's more a cultural attitude. And they tend to be more cold and pensive, and even if they smile, this doesn't mean they want to attract you in their life: they have too much thoughts and concerns to think to family again.

Italy along with Spain is the country with the lowest birthrate of Europe, 1.3 and only because there are some immigrants who have babies, otherwise Italians tend to have one child if nothing at all.

You can say people are afraid to marry or withouth strenghtness to make a family in this epocal changing.

There still are in Old Europe some ethernal thing: just before Christmas is a tradition to go to a Christmas concert, or in historical theatres or in cathedrals, and there's still the mindset to visit all friends and relatives, so in these last days Italians move to visit everyone, but the 'Dolce Vita' is over for what I can see.

A french friend of mine said me in France things are going slowly in the same direction.

I can agree when I read Italians and more generally southern europeans tend to escape from engagement, but it's not for conquering all the hearts, but for instability of the situation.

When I met my future husband, me too I was surprised of his own willing to engage, I didn't expect this so 'brave' step.

I have a lot of charming, accultured friends even with good position but who, in these moments of incertitude, prefer to look at their own life in the most individualistic sense, and living a single life and going to ski in Switzerland or to the casinò for Saint Silvester than engaging with a woman, even the most beautiful and nice.

But this is not for 'latin lover attitude': it's the frailty of life that suggests them to be so volatile beings.

It can be called a 'self- centered attitude', but I only call this fear.

Unluckily Italians, and most in general European men, even the most 'hard' northerners, feel the Age of the Centuries on their shoulders, and maybe they have become 'thin'.
"Guidos" are to Italians like cartoons are to portraits. So please don't think that non-Italians see Italians as guidos...or that they see guidos as Italians.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
"Guidos" are to Italians like cartoons are to portraits. So please don't think that non-Italians see Italians as guidos...or that they see guidos as Italians.

ahahaha... no, I don't think this is the common vision of Italians, only I discovered this strange 'category' of guidos hhere and there on online forums, and in effect, they were very caricatural... I don't even think that aerage Italians know what a 'guidos' is.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Thank you very much... I don't really know much about Italian American culture, I discover sometimes some things that are very far from my conception, i think every place in the end creates his own original pattern based on soil and social condition, this isn't a 'blut und boden' argument, but only a geopolitical fact...

I can say that Europe is a Continent in the geopolitical sense, but not anymore in administrative... it seems that, apart from the banking system, we have to suffer to create this... there's a traditiona, secular aspect for every european, mainly a roman and a carolingian heritage, but this is perceived differently from country to country.

I'm Catholic, of course, and my future husband protestant... he wanted to know everything about the Vatican

He was very much attracted by the Order of Malta in Rome of course, and I gifted him of a Maltese Cross, he felt a knight... of course to enter there a person need to have a very ancient and nobiliar ancestry. It's not a 'popular catholicism'! But even more fascinating.

yeah, catholicism here is very different, made of some precise rituals as in the greek-byzantine eastern church and a lot of esoterism in it.
No wonder your husband fell head over heels in love with you. It's impossible to find such intellectualism in a woman on this side of the world. I'm sure they exist somewhere, but they are like the panthera tigris, less than 3000 of them exist in the wild and will soon be extinct.

I should have immigrated to Europe. LOL. I once came across a job which was gonna allow me work in New York and Zurich alternately, but couldn't take it, but the future is wide open.

Anyway, I know for a fact that Italian Catholicism is somewhat unique, and the proximity to Byzantium adds rich value, though the latter does not exist any longer.

I'm glad he accepted your Maltese Cross. And I'm betting his Protestantism isn't of a major deal between your two families. Some sects of American Protestantism aren't very appreciative of Catholicism, but that's been largely dying of late. Which part of America is he from, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 12-25-2011, 04:15 PM

936 posts, read 2,060,861 times
Quote:
ahahaha... no, I don't think this is the common vision of Italians, only I discovered this strange 'category' of guidos hhere and there on online forums, and in effect, they were very caricatural... I don't even think that aerage Italians know what a 'guidos' is.
They probably don't. It's a term usually applied to Americans of Italian heritage, not actual Italians. If they know it, they probably know it the same way we all know it: from "Jersey Shore" on MTV...and I'm sure they cringe at the idea of guidos being associated with Italy in any way.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:27 PM

A guido is also considered pejorative. Proud Italian-Americans disapprove of the word. In Jersey itself, Jersey Shore is predominantly disliked becoz it portrays the state in bad light, especially its Italian-American populace, and to put salt on the wound, most of the members of the cast aren't actually from New Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships