Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many dates did it take you to become exclusive?
less than 5 12 40.00%
5-8 12 40.00%
Over 8 6 20.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 12:01 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,509,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
I don't agree with this attitude because I have had it come back and bite me in another way. I was dating a girl (@ least I thought I was) for about 4 months and we were hooking up regularly for 3. Come month 5 and I found out she had been hooking up with another guy for the first 3 months we were together. She tried to argue we weren't exclusive (made it official in month 3-4) but it was cheating to me so I dumped her. I assumed if we're having sex fairly often then she didn't need it from anyone else, and that's why assumption is the mother of all f#$% ups

I'd be more concerned that she was putting my health at risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 12:39 PM

674 posts, read 1,161,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Wow, this is truly fantastic advice! Time for me to follow it. I never have initiated the relationship convo, but I've also usually not had enough other options. Gotta figure out how to meet more women. Being shy and fearing rejection, thats hard for me to do.
Its hard for everyone to overcome fear of rejection. I'm an outgoing guy and I don't have any problem approaching anyone until it comes to a girl I'm interested in and I freeze up and over-analyze myself right out of it. I've overcome this by basically thinking the world ends tomorrow, and it doesn't matter if this girl is into me or not.

Or you can try the "throwing out a bone" approach as I like to call it. I don't go right up and start complimenting or hitting on them. I just throw out statements not exactly directed at her and see if she plays along. Example: Walk up near her, not to her, and say "man, it's freezing outside!" Then take notice if she smiles, laughs, responds with "oh I know! it's icy too!". If she gives you any hint that she noticed you in a positive way, keep the conversation going "yeah, I'm from Cali so I'm not used to this weather....are you from around here?" Then just chat with her. Then after a few minutes say "well hey, I gotta run, it was nice meeting you, what's your name? Can I give you a call sometime?"

You'll get more no's than you will yes's so just go with it, you got nothing to lose. 99% of the no's you get will be because of something that have nothing to do with you, like she may have a boyfriend, just in town for the weekend, just got out of a serious relationship, having a bad day, doesn't have time, etc.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:47 PM

674 posts, read 1,161,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I think this is good advice for a girl who is looking for a relationship too. I don't think men and women are different. There are plenty of men who are not looking for a relationship and a woman who is looking for a relationship might find herself on dates with guys like that. What is she to do?
Um, if she likes the guy and wants a relationship, she can make that known early on, or she can drop hints that is what she wants. One way to do this is not to sleep with him until he agrees to be exclusive. If she likes a guy and she think he's relationship minded as well (i.e. he isn't constantly trying to get in your pants without keeping the relationship "open"), then it is up to her to bring up that conversation of what they are looking for and see if they want the same things. If the guy doesn't want a relationship and the girl does, the girl can end it.

Only different is the girl has to bring it up because guys aren't turned off by girls that bring up relationships. If the guy brings it up then he's desperate/needy and women lose interest. This is indisputable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
I don't agree with this attitude because I have had it come back and bite me in another way. I was dating a girl (@ least I thought I was) for about 4 months and we were hooking up regularly for 3. Come month 5 and I found out she had been hooking up with another guy for the first 3 months we were together. She tried to argue we weren't exclusive (made it official in month 3-4) but it was cheating to me so I dumped her. I assumed if we're having sex fairly often then she didn't need it from anyone else, and that's why assumption is the mother of all f#$% ups
That's a personal problem. You clearly didn't establish exclusivity with her and she felt it was okay to sleep with others. Obviously you need to do more screening on your end about what type of women you are sleeping with. If you're looking for a relationship, don't sleep with her until she brings up the relationship convo. Besides, what guy complains about getting laid without committing??

Old 12-27-2011, 12:56 PM

3,925 posts, read 6,839,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-turtle View Post
Its hard for everyone to overcome fear of rejection. I'm an outgoing guy and I don't have any problem approaching anyone until it comes to a girl I'm interested in and I freeze up and over-analyze myself right out of it. I've overcome this by basically thinking the world ends tomorrow, and it doesn't matter if this girl is into me or not.

Or you can try the "throwing out a bone" approach as I like to call it. I don't go right up and start complimenting or hitting on them. I just throw out statements not exactly directed at her and see if she plays along. Example: Walk up near her, not to her, and say "man, it's freezing outside!" Then take notice if she smiles, laughs, responds with "oh I know! it's icy too!". If she gives you any hint that she noticed you in a positive way, keep the conversation going "yeah, I'm from Cali so I'm not used to this weather....are you from around here?" Then just chat with her. Then after a few minutes say "well hey, I gotta run, it was nice meeting you, what's your name? Can I give you a call sometime?"

You'll get more no's than you will yes's so just go with it, you got nothing to lose. 99% of the no's you get will be because of something that have nothing to do with you, like she may have a boyfriend, just in town for the weekend, just got out of a serious relationship, having a bad day, doesn't have time, etc.
Thumbs up for wonderful technique. Not the stereotypical "nice shoes, lets bone" line. The world ends tomorrow technique is something I use all the time. I sometimes consider it my d bag technique cuz really, you almost have to not care at all. Also, I never thought of the throw a bone technique. Definitely have to try it out.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:12 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-turtle View Post
Um, if she likes the guy and wants a relationship, she can make that known early on, or she can drop hints that is what she wants. One way to do this is not to sleep with him until he agrees to be exclusive. If she likes a guy and she think he's relationship minded as well (i.e. he isn't constantly trying to get in your pants without keeping the relationship "open"), then it is up to her to bring up that conversation of what they are looking for and see if they want the same things. If the guy doesn't want a relationship and the girl does, the girl can end it.
I agree, and that is how it's happened for me in my past relationships, or somehow they just knew I wanted a relationship or something, and they initiated the formal talk about it first, however, the first post I responded to made it sound like men always want relationships and women never do, and that's not true.

And, no, when it was brought up to me, it didn't make him sound needy or desperate at all.... maybe because I LIKED HIM A LOT and wanted it too. This he knew.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:13 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,203 times
I don't go by # of dates but time period. I like to be exclusive within 3 months.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:31 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,143,927 times
I hate to say it, but until I have a pre lease walk through I’m not signing anything.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:56 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I actually hate FB and have disabled it, at least for now. For me, the only reason I would want to use that "relationship" status thing is so it gets back to my ex-wife (we have like 50 "friends" in common). She gave up on us and I would love for her to know I was happy with someone else and had moved on.
It's not like it has to be true... If you want to indulge in it, just go ahead!

Old 12-27-2011, 09:20 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
One.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:41 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,793,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It's not like it has to be true... If you want to indulge in it, just go ahead!
Good idea, Sierra. I may do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships