Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 11:31 PM

3,564 posts, read 4,399,456 times

Advertisements

OK, this is not a joke, but it's true and just happened to me the other day. . .

For years, my elderly mother and I have had a long standing tradition. On X-mas day we simply call each other to wish ourselves cheer and joy, and that's as far as it goes. We don't send each other gifts or x-mas cards. However, to my surprise, this year I received a card from mom.

As soon as I opened the envelope and verified that it was not sent to me in error, I called mom and asked why had she done this. I then apologized for not having sent her one. She says to me. . ."Oh don't worry about that. It's just that I bought a pack of x-mas cards and there was one left over. I sent it to you 'cause I didn't know what else to do with it."

In the eternal words of Rodney Dangerfield, "I get no respect," not even from my own mother!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 11:34 PM

61,772 posts, read 87,244,588 times
Eh... no need to ponder. Next year just do exactly the same. And when she asks "why", just say the same too...

Old 12-27-2011, 11:41 PM

3,564 posts, read 4,399,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Eh... no need to ponder. Next year just do exactly the same. And when she asks "why", just say the same too...
Oh no way! I couldn't be vindictive towards my mom. I thought it was hilarious, especially how she nonchalantly/matter-of-factly told me why she sent it.

God bless her soul. I love her!

Old 12-27-2011, 11:45 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,160,794 times
One thing that I've learned is that a mother's relationship with her child is extremely complex and we should never question why she has done something for us. I always say.... a happy mother = a happy child and vice versa.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:06 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,408,083 times
That sucks. But good on you for having a sense of humor toward it. No two relationships are alike, mother-daughter or otherwise.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:19 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,026,566 times
Maybe she was downplaying the significance of sending you a card to try and ease your feelings so you did not feel so bad about not sending her one.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:39 AM

60 posts, read 142,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Maybe she was downplaying the significance of sending you a card to try and ease your feelings so you did not feel so bad about not sending her one.
+1

This is exactly what I think.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:22 AM

220 posts, read 377,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
OK, this is not a joke, but it's true and just happened to me the other day. . .

For years, my elderly mother and I have had a long standing tradition. On X-mas day we simply call each other to wish ourselves cheer and joy, and that's as far as it goes. We don't send each other gifts or x-mas cards. However, to my surprise, this year I received a card from mom.

As soon as I opened the envelope and verified that it was not sent to me in error, I called mom and asked why had she done this. I then apologized for not having sent her one. She says to me. . ."Oh don't worry about that. It's just that I bought a pack of x-mas cards and there was one left over. I sent it to you 'cause I didn't know what else to do with it."

In the eternal words of Rodney Dangerfield, "I get no respect," not even from my own mother!

So what's the problem here?

Old 12-28-2011, 11:49 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,794,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkered24 View Post
maybe she was downplaying the significance of sending you a card to try and ease your feelings so you did not feel so bad about not sending her one.
+1

Old 12-28-2011, 12:50 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,192,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Oh no way! I couldn't be vindictive towards my mom. I thought it was hilarious, especially how she nonchalantly/matter-of-factly told me why she sent it.

God bless her soul. I love her!

Good for you for thinking so positively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
+1+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships