Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 07:28 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Did I miss something?

You see these people 3weeks of the year.

The issue isn't the inlaws.
The husband is a tough nut. All French men are. Many European men are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 07:43 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I am a grade A, money-back guaranteed mama's boy, and even I will take your side of this situation, OP.

Your husband shouldn't be at his parents beck and call at the expense of your well-being.

If in-laws visit the house, they play by the house rules and they have to understand who is in control of the house and that is the wife.
I don't think I've ever heard a man say that. I am impressed.

Quote:
The husband is a tough nut. All French men are. Many European men are.
Really? Do tell more! I am curious.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:55 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,221,387 times
Quote:
Let's just say in a nice way, I'm not a big fan of citizenship marriages. I have no respect for anyone who does that.

For Pete's sake, do you really want someone to take credit to the fact that you are your "OWN" self-made individual?

Shame on you who used American/European people to shortcut into permanent residence and citizenship

Let's say you as a foreign man use a US citizen to get US papers through her, and you go on to become a successful businessman/corporate exec etc., that sets the basis for the most perfect divorce on earth. She has had the greatest hand in moulding your future and getting you the riches through citizenship, and the courts will decide she deserves more than half of your wealth. How about that, imbeciles?
Wait. Who said they did this? I must have missed something!
She said she DIDN'T do this. She signed a pre nup and doesn't believe that he married her for her citizenship.
So why the panties in a wad?

Old 12-30-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
She said she DIDN'T do this. She signed a pre nup and doesn't believe that he married her for her citizenship.
Read the last few pages, HK, where some folks talk of citizenship weddings and perks in a EU membership

And there are champions here who came to America flying on the shoulders of an enabler.

Let's just say, a marriage based only on attraction and mutual love will survive. Not one based on contracts, hidden long term residency benefits and healthcare insurance perks.

Fini

Old 12-30-2011, 08:12 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,221,387 times
Quote:
Let's just say in a nice way, I'm not a big fan of citizenship marriages. I have no respect for anyone who does that.

For Pete's sake, do you really want someone to take credit to the fact that you are your "OWN" self-made individual?

Shame on you who used American/European people to shortcut into permanent residence and citizenship

Let's say you as a foreign man use a US citizen to get US papers through her, and you go on to become a successful businessman/corporate exec etc., that sets the basis for the most perfect divorce on earth. She has had the greatest hand in moulding your future and getting you the riches through citizenship, and the courts will decide she deserves more than half of your wealth. How about that, imbeciles?

Old 12-30-2011, 08:18 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Just a quick FWI....A pre-nup doesn't mean he didn't marry her for citizenship. It means he didn't marry her for money.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Just a quick FWI....A pre-nup doesn't mean he didn't marry her for citizenship. It means he didn't marry her for money.
Exactement. Mots de wisdom, virgode

It provides the perfect groundwork for strife in the future.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I don't think I've ever heard a man say that. I am impressed.

Really? Do tell more! I am curious.
My hometown was a former French colony until 1964, when it was finally given to the Indian government to avoid further bilateral fracas with France.

But a sizeable population continue to stay to this day in a quarter of the town dubbed as "white town", coz everybody is white. But there's nothing racial here - just that real estate went through the roof owing to the nature of the houses, their interiors and the buildings - regular Indians can't afford to live there coz the property is traded in Euros

But that does not mean we can't hang out there and enjoy the French cuisine and amusement scene, have life long friendship with French people I went to school with, I went to a French school until my teen adolescence when I switched to British education.

French men can be weird and a bit rigid in their approaches. Get angry very easily and their way of life isn't very British/American/Anglo-saxon - where emphasis is placed on soft culture like - comedy, dude pow-wows, fraternities, sororities, man time, woman time, love for movies, adoration for music, celebrities, a general lust for the excesses of life. The French are more into naturalist living - they love classical operas, yoga, meditation, natural living - it's hard to explain.

You walk into a place with people from an English speaking background, and immediately you can mix, like you can have something to identify with - like common rock music, sports or general love for women. Within 10 minutes, we will be talking about big boobs and booties.

It's hard to infiltrate a gang of European men that way. To start, they don't have a sense of humour, which is so prevalent in Brit-influenced countries. That to me is the true British legacy, though they were Imperialist asses

Old 12-30-2011, 09:22 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,090 times
You can EASILY suck up to the French. Learn a few words of French and talk to them. Just anything. They will love you for the next 10000 years. LMAO. It's true, though... If you don't speak any French, you will be on their **** list.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
You can EASILY suck up to the French. Learn a few words of French and talk to them. Just anything. They will love you for the next 10000 years. LMAO. It's true, though...
Why?

They can't walk into a house and take over it.

I saw my father's family do it to my mother for a lifetime, and I can't say I'm a fan of it. My mother put up with it for me and my brother, to be precise. She lived a life of hell coz we will grow up well.

Who in this age wants to make that sacrifice and is it even worth it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships