Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 10:04 AM

44,359 posts, read 20,066,476 times

Advertisements

Mod comment: PLEASE stay on topic and stop with the personal barbs. Personal attacks will not be tolerated.
Please keep discourse relative to the topic of the OP, or the thread will be closed permanently.

Thanks!
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:20 AM

8,514 posts, read 4,494,481 times
Only child here. Actually my mother was an only child too, so I'm the only child of an only child. So my mother never let me develop any of those so-called only child characteristics.

Only children often desperately want to form attachments with others, especially their peers. That's probably one of the most difficult things of being an only, it is more difficult to relate to peers and develop relationships. But that's not to say it's impossible.

As for being stubborn, I would say that I'm probably not as stubborn as those with siblings. I tend to give in much more quickly in order to keep the peace, and shall I say to ensure that people "like" me. Hey, look at my handle here on C-D, that would indicate sort of an easy going person. I am, but not a pushover either at this point in my life.

With all of us, it's going to be different. Some people are stubborn, some not. Some are only children and some are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 05:44 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
I am an only child and was never spoilt. I am incredibly stubborn but that is more to do with my upbringing than anything else and a great sense of loathing for injustice. If I think something is wrong I will simply never give in. Unless you start physically torturing me I never give in.

On the other hand I am also scrupulously fair IMO ( or try to be) and will admit it if I am wrong and apologise.

Hubby is also stubborn and he is a second child. Not as stubborn as I am though.

I am definitely more of a loner, more socially independent ( peer pressure never worked on me, I never wanted to "fit in", I never cared about getting in with the cool crowd at school and I could not have cared less about being a social pariah) and though like most human beings I enjoy human contact and friendship for me it has to be genuine and I refuse to play the social game of inane chit chat and superficial "friendships" .

Relationships to me mean depth and genuine connection. I never understood people who flit from one person to another or need to be adored and admired by the whole world. Life's too short to waste on caring about other people's opinions of me.

Being an only child taught me to be content with being alone and to function without other people's approval and constant praise. Give me a book and a place to sit and I can last forever....

It means that I might take longer to make friends ( or relationships) but when I do I am in for the long haul, take it extremely seriously and will be as loyal as anyone can be. I don't trust terribly easily but always try to give people the benefit of the doubt. I am often difficult to tame but once I am I think I can count as a pretty storm proof relationship.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:34 AM

663 posts, read 1,082,019 times
I am an only child and stubborn but my personality is exactly like my father's, and he grew up with four siblings. My mom is also an only child and not stubborn at all. My DH is very stubborn and he has an older sister. I was not spoiled while growing up nor the center of the universe. I also grew up around a lot of older relatives who would not have tolerated spoiled kids, etc. I was raised primarily by my maternal grandparents; my grandmother, for one, had 7 siblings as typical for her generation, era, etc. My grandmother was one of the most stubborn people I have ever known.

I think there is a lot to be said for birth order that is often accurate but sometimes people make generalizations based on their personal experiences with others. For instance, I have encountered many people who assume all only children are very spoiled prince and princess types.....this is not always true. I certainly was not.

As Mooseketeer made reference to, having a book and a place to sit, many only children are more self-sufficient because there isn't always someone else around to interact, play with, etc. I'm not dependent on others for my entertainment and rarely ever feel lonely.

Generalizations just don't always fit and can often miss the mark. I've been in the same marriage for 17 years....I'm sure I'm a PITA at times, I think that holds true for everyone. But must not be that bad if someone has tolerated me this long and says he's happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships