Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 01:32 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times

Advertisements

I never thought about this before I saw an episode of Oprah where she discussed not wanting to use soap that anyone else had used and that she always put out a new bar for house guests. When I was married we shared the shower and soap. For house guests, I just left the soap in the bathroom from one guest to another.

How do you feel about using a bar of soap for bathing that someone else has used?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 01:45 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I never thought about this before I saw an episode of Oprah where she discussed not wanting to use soap that anyone else had used and that she always put out a new bar for house guests. When I was married we shared the shower and soap. For house guests, I just left the soap in the bathroom from one guest to another.

How do you feel about using a bar of soap for bathing that someone else has used?
Prefer to have separate soap, Personally. Bottled body wash is different and I think that is OK to share.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:45 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,386,514 times
I've always shared the soap with my husband and have never given it a second thought. I can't imagine anyone being married and not wanting to use the same soap as their spouse or regarding this as an issue. What kind of mindset is that? I would imagine billions more germs are passed on through kissing or sex than by sharing an innocuous bar of soap!

Old 01-08-2012, 01:48 PM

532 posts, read 1,464,499 times
Liquid soap with the pump,then no worries.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:52 PM

40 posts, read 89,364 times
I would never use bar soap that a stranger used, but the wife kids and I have never given it a second thought.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:53 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,545,128 times
At home, my husband and I share soap only with each other because no one uses the master bathroom but us.

The soaps in the other bathrooms are for guests; sometimes we use them to wash our hands, if we happen to be in that bathroom. I change those soaps only when they are half used up, not with every new guest.

If I'm staying at someone else's home, I'm not opposed to using their soap. It's a given that I know them pretty well if I'm taking a shower in their house. I just lather up the bar of soap really well and rinse it off before I use it. Of course if there's an option to use a shower gel, I'd use that instead.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:53 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,988,473 times
When I lived with my parents we shared the same soap, but I don't share my bodywash with anyone, but I don't have a SO atm so that could change.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:55 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,553,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachouse View Post
Liquid soap with the pump,then no worries.
Same here.

When it's a bar of soap it's usually mine only as he doesn't like bars.

Our house guests don't use our (en suite) bathroom, so they have their own soap.

I'm referring to hand soap only btw. Shower gel/body wash: I have mine, he has his (we like different smells), house guests have a couple to choose from. No bars.

Last edited by noela; 01-08-2012 at 02:38 PM..

Old 01-08-2012, 01:56 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
I don't think I've ever used the same soap as anyone with the exception of hand soap. I've used bottled shower gel for about 10 years, though, so I guess that makes a difference.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:56 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,296,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post

I have my own special bathroom and I never share my personal use items.

I also make sure that guests have their own personal items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships