Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 11:24 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times

Advertisements

Women bodybuilders, women in the military, a woman swimming the English Channel or from Cuba to Florida, a British woman spending 59 days skiing across the North Pole, when you read about feats like this, do you ever get any slack from your boyfriends or husbands? Yup! They read these articles and saved then for "rainy days"!

"Oh Sweetheart! It's freezing cold tonite and I found out the right front tire of my car is flat as a pancake and it's so cold in that garage, would you please be a sweetheart and go change that tire for me because I have to work tomorrow?"

And? He digs out this article about the woman who froze her butt off for 59 days skiing across the North Pole! And?

"Honey! After you get done changing that tire, would you change the oil on my truck?"

For those that would like to play the role of the helpless, stereotypical traditional Southern woman, do you hide these articles from your boyfriend/husband, just in case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 02:42 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Why is it always the man who has to do the dirty jobs? Like taking out the trash?

Old 02-09-2012, 03:05 AM

461 posts, read 782,509 times
These feats are not masculine at all. Why? Because a woman is doing it and we are capable of much like childbirth for instance. How many guys would be willing to do that?

I'd take out the trash all day long if a guy could have the ability to give birth instead of me.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:25 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Women bodybuilders, women in the military, a woman swimming the English Channel or from Cuba to Florida, a British woman spending 59 days skiing across the North Pole, when you read about feats like this, do you ever get any slack from your boyfriends or husbands? Yup! They read these articles and saved then for "rainy days"!

"Oh Sweetheart! It's freezing cold tonite and I found out the right front tire of my car is flat as a pancake and it's so cold in that garage, would you please be a sweetheart and go change that tire for me because I have to work tomorrow?"

And? He digs out this article about the woman who froze her butt off for 59 days skiing across the North Pole! And?Q

"Honey! After you get done changing that tire, would you change the oil on my truck?"

For those that would like to play the role of the helpless, stereotypical traditional Southern woman, do you hide these articles from your boyfriend/husband, just in case?
I love a woman to be able to take up some of the men's work. If she could change the oil in the accord that is $45 I save every time.

BTW, my mom was born and raised in the South and served 20 years in the USAF.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrevenge View Post
These feats are not masculine at all. Why? Because a woman is doing it and we are capable of much like childbirth for instance. How many guys would be willing to do that?

I'd take out the trash all day long if a guy could have the ability to give birth instead of me.
Yes, because men have the 'taking out the trash' instinct built into them. Being pregnant and giving birth does not excuse you from doing physical work. Look at other cultures. Feminists should remember that women didn't usually have to go to war and die. I'll give birth if women go out in battle, get slaughtered limb for limb.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:54 AM

461 posts, read 782,509 times
What makes you think women don't do physical work? Look at the op for examples. I take out the trash, clean, etc... And women do go to war now and die. Some get captured, tortured and raped like Jessica Lynch. What is the point of this again?

Old 02-09-2012, 04:11 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Yes, because men have the 'taking out the trash' instinct built into them. Being pregnant and giving birth does not excuse you from doing physical work. Look at other cultures. Feminists should remember that women didn't usually have to go to war and die. I'll give birth if women go out in battle, get slaughtered limb for limb.
Your point about War is moot considering that 90% of War's casualties are civilians. And Rape is used as a War method not only to humiliate women but to make the men more pliable and destroy morale.

Women have not been allowed in the Army because men did not want them there in the first place. They have had to fight for the right to be on the front line .

A Medieval Army for example would have had a huge following of women and children who though they might not have taken part in the slaughter would have been exposed just as much as men.

Women have been victims of War just as much if not more as men. Torture, rape and seeing your children murdered in front of your eyes hardly make you immune to the horrors of Warfare. I would personally rather be on the front line than seeing my village burned to the ground, my children raped and murdered and to be gang raped then have my belly carved with the rapist's names ( one particular case from Bosnia which stuck with me) ....

Amnesty International will tell you exactly how cushy it is for women in War. Look up Serbia or Rwanda and see how much fun the non fighting women were having.

I think a lot of them would have chosen death being shot over what actually happened to them. There are other ways to die and to suffer than being on the front line. if you think the Women of Iraq, Afghanistan or Darfur are being let off too easily then I think you ought to rethink that.

Unless there is a draft for war and women are allowed to join but refuse to ( for which they would be imprisoned) I am not sure what your point is ?

And I would argue men are the ones who kept women out of the process of front line warfare anyway so they can't really complain about it.

Even those left behind at home for example in WW1 or WW2 still had to pay a pretty heavy price. It might not have been the trenches or Dunkirk but they still played a crucial role and their lives were destroyed by their losses too.

War goes beyond soldiers on battlefields. If only .

Old 02-09-2012, 05:03 AM

994 posts, read 1,681,868 times
Actually the more women take on *traditional male* roles, the better I feel. It's like a weight has been lifted off my back. Once everyone shares everything equally I will be really happy.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Your point about War is moot considering that 90% of War's casualties are civilians. And Rape is used as a War method not only to humiliate women but to make the men more pliable and destroy morale.

Women have not been allowed in the Army because men did not want them there in the first place. They have had to fight for the right to be on the front line .

A Medieval Army for example would have had a huge following of women and children who though they might not have taken part in the slaughter would have been exposed just as much as men.

Women have been victims of War just as much if not more as men. Torture, rape and seeing your children murdered in front of your eyes hardly make you immune to the horrors of Warfare. I would personally rather be on the front line than seeing my village burned to the ground, my children raped and murdered and to be gang raped then have my belly carved with the rapist's names ( one particular case from Bosnia which stuck with me) ....

Amnesty International will tell you exactly how cushy it is for women in War. Look up Serbia or Rwanda and see how much fun the non fighting women were having.

I think a lot of them would have chosen death being shot over what actually happened to them. There are other ways to die and to suffer than being on the front line. if you think the Women of Iraq, Afghanistan or Darfur are being let off too easily then I think you ought to rethink that.

Unless there is a draft for war and women are allowed to join but refuse to ( for which they would be imprisoned) I am not sure what your point is ?

And I would argue men are the ones who kept women out of the process of front line warfare anyway so they can't really complain about it.

Even those left behind at home for example in WW1 or WW2 still had to pay a pretty heavy price. It might not have been the trenches or Dunkirk but they still played a crucial role and their lives were destroyed by their losses too.

War goes beyond soldiers on battlefields. If only .
That's true sometimes in war the whole community is directly affected. I just got the impression myrevenge thought men had it easy because they didn't have to carry children.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:27 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,210 times
There is biological femininity vs. cultural femininity.

Biologically women will do what needs to be done. Or, what they want to do. Since the average female lacks the physical strength of the average male, she may have to adapt the method.

Cultural femininity is a choice. I'm picturing high heels and not knowing where the oil pan is on their car. But that is an extreme.

My friends and I can do what you may think of as non-traditional activities, and choose what each wants from the culturally feminine menu. We can all change the oil in our vehicles and heavy machinery, but save our high heels for trips with hubby or friends out of town.

BTW - I think women have the better deal in the US. Roles seem more flexible for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships