Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 07:36 AM

406 posts, read 770,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I was responding to the OP...it just seems like a stereotypical 'man's' job.
I'm not a fan of stereotypes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 07:40 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterclinger View Post
I'm not a fan of stereotypes.
Me too.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:44 AM

406 posts, read 770,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Me too.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:48 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
I am super girly in all outwardly appearances but I change my own oil, wash my own car, take out the trash, can hang with the big boys in an office setting, play flag football, the list goes on.

Knowing how I am personally, I would never paint someone into a box of feminine/masculine. People are people.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:55 AM

90 posts, read 131,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Women bodybuilders, women in the military, a woman swimming the English Channel or from Cuba to Florida, a British woman spending 59 days skiing across the North Pole,

For those that would like to play the role of the helpless, stereotypical traditional Southern woman, do you hide these articles from your boyfriend/husband, just in case?
It's super masculine to build muscle?
It's super masculine to serve your country?
It's super masculine to take on physical challenges like swimming or skiing long distances?

Interesting. I would have thought those are simply things that either men or women might choose to do. I would not be threatened by reading about them and I would not hide any article detailing their accomplishments.

Maybe a husband would be the one feeling threatened if his wife waved those articles in his face and commented "Gee, if a woman is doing all of that, why can't you?"

And if you are thinking that the stereotypical Southern woman is helpless, you know very little about them. Just saying.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:53 AM

994 posts, read 1,682,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I don't mind mowing the lawn or cleaning out the gutters, dear, but don't complain when I ask you to change the sheets on the bed or mop the kitchen floor.
As if changing the sheets is a big task Also mopping the kitchen floor? I prefer to vacuum and not spill stuff on it.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:57 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Women bodybuilders, women in the military, a woman swimming the English Channel or from Cuba to Florida, a British woman spending 59 days skiing across the North Pole, when you read about feats like this, do you ever get any slack from your boyfriends or husbands? Yup! They read these articles and saved then for "rainy days"!

"Oh Sweetheart! It's freezing cold tonite and I found out the right front tire of my car is flat as a pancake and it's so cold in that garage, would you please be a sweetheart and go change that tire for me because I have to work tomorrow?"

And? He digs out this article about the woman who froze her butt off for 59 days skiing across the North Pole! And?

"Honey! After you get done changing that tire, would you change the oil on my truck?"

For those that would like to play the role of the helpless, stereotypical traditional Southern woman, do you hide these articles from your boyfriend/husband, just in case?

Do you have the kind of relationship where your partner constantly compares you to other women and makes you feel less than??? That's disturbing, and that should be your focus, not whether or not women do the same things men do.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:16 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,171,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I know how to change the oil or a tire, but I don't have to. I take it someplace where they have a lift. And once, my mechanic was a nice burley woman. I liked her much more than a lot of the male mechanics. She treated me with respect.

The best collision repair shop I've ever been in was run by a couple of obviously straight married women who dressed in heels and designer clothes. The head lady went out to my vehicle, checked it out like a pro, cranked it up, diagnosed whatever, then called a man in coveralls out of the garage and told him what he needed to do. Their waiting room was decorated better than a salon. There were trendy magazines for men and women. The head man dressed in a button down shirt and khakis. And, their prices were no higher than a typical grease pit. Gotta love those traditional women when they get a good idea.
Someone had you fooled. How does one with designer clothes and high heels crawl underneath, inside and outside of a greasy, oily, dirty car? That'd be the day the guys in coveralls would take any of their advice and be told what to do. Had they had different clothes on, that might change. They were simply service writers. Service writers get in over their head fairly regularly. They write checks their arses can't cash!

Old 02-09-2012, 10:36 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,171,560 times
AND...if you put the name Danica Patrick in that sentence, it changes the whole thing. She knows what kind of clothes she needs to wear to do her job.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:01 PM

410 posts, read 515,190 times
I grew up with male dominance all around myself and it was very hard to be seen as an equal in their eyes. I am constantly being put under a man's foot and it feels very disturbing. It doesn't help that I am Muslim either. It's been a real battle as a child to adult trying to be powerful enough mentally and physically for all these dominating men. I did alot of manual labour and I am really good at it. I am highly independant,making my own living, supporting myself. I really don't need help from a male for anything at all and still I am being put "under the foot". What do I have to do!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships