Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 03:24 PM

148 posts, read 302,828 times

Advertisements

I bought a star for our grandchildren. So now there are two stars out there that carries their names. I've also done that for a few special people and it went over real well. I won't post a link here as I think it might go against the TOS, but just Google buy a star, or something similar and it should pop up for you. Best wishes to you and your girlfriend. It must be a tough time for all of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 09:47 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,859,377 times
There are so many great things on this thread so far, keep 'em coming!

I definitely appreciate all the advice and I do or have done a lot of these things already. Love notes, photo books, favorite movies, etc. Things like massages or bubble baths might be a no-go at her parents' place though! And to be honest, she has such a huge supporting cast of friends and family that small gifts, particularly blankets, pillows, stomach friendly snacks and things of that nature have also already been given to her out the wazoo!! So what are some other little things I can do or give to my special lady who has it all? At this point I've basically run out of things to give other than my time; I give as much as I can by taking off work for her appointments and spending tons of time at her parents' place.

Any more ideas out there?

Old 02-12-2012, 09:52 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,302,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
As some of you know, my girlfriend is currently undergoing chemotherapy treatments for lymphoma. Valentine's day is coming up, so what are some little things I could do for her to make her feel loved? We probably can't go out anywhere, and she likely won't have an appetite due to the chemo. Flowers are out (chemo compromises the immune system and flowers are one of the many things she needs to avoid). She'll be pretty fatigued and probably still feeling very sick so we'll be spending it at her parents' house. She already said no gifts and I fully agree. Our gift to ourselves is a trip to Hawaii when all this crap is over assuming I can come up with the funds

I'm thinking that all we can (and should) do is simply spend time together. I just gave her a love note last week for a special occasion so that's a no-go too! Any thoughts or advice? Anyone ever been in a similar situation?
Make her a microwaveable teddy bear and moccasins.

You can look up how to do this online and you can decorate them any way you want. They can be chucked in the microwave for a few seconds and the bear can be used as a heating pad while the moccasins keep the feet warm.

It is sweet, thoughtful, homemade and shows that you are thinking about taking care of her.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:44 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,722,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
As some of you know, my girlfriend is currently undergoing chemotherapy treatments for lymphoma. Valentine's day is coming up, so what are some little things I could do for her to make her feel loved? We probably can't go out anywhere, and she likely won't have an appetite due to the chemo. Flowers are out (chemo compromises the immune system and flowers are one of the many things she needs to avoid). She'll be pretty fatigued and probably still feeling very sick so we'll be spending it at her parents' house. She already said no gifts and I fully agree. Our gift to ourselves is a trip to Hawaii when all this crap is over assuming I can come up with the funds

I'm thinking that all we can (and should) do is simply spend time together. I just gave her a love note last week for a special occasion so that's a no-go too! Any thoughts or advice? Anyone ever been in a similar situation?
I'd make a nice card or maybe a collage of photos with y'all. And just spend time with her.

I hope she recovers fully. You sound like a very thoughtful person and boyfriend

Old 02-14-2012, 09:28 AM

Thanks everyone for the kind words and suggestions. It sounds like tonight will just be a movie night for us. That's ok though because our gift to each other for our dating anniversary, V-day, and both our birthdays (all happening while she's undergoing treatment . . . bad timing) is our upcoming tropical vacation! Initially I would've said no to such an expensive trip since student loans will be destroying my bank account for the next decade but considering the circumstances it certainly will be worth it!

Any last-minute advice for tonight is always welcome!

Old 02-14-2012, 09:38 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,040,054 times
Find out what magazines she likes. Rent a movie she likes or buy it and take it over and watch it with her. Bring crackers and ginger ale and put the ginger ale in a wine glass. If she doesn't mind being touched when she feels bad hold her and hold her hair back for her when she gets sick. Soft throws are cheap and also a good buy.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:00 PM

48,625 posts, read 35,086,908 times
No matter what you did, I hope you both had a wonderful day.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
No matter what you did, I hope you both had a wonderful day.
Thanks! There were good moments and bad, but that's just how chemo goes. I'm just happy I got to see her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships