Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2012, 08:27 PM

483 posts, read 1,561,894 times

Advertisements

Pretty much all women go downhill in the looks department after 25. Some of them go downhill slow enough such that they can maintain above-average looks in their early 30s, but even those women will admit they were more attractive when they were 24 than 32. The people who say women look better with age must be living in parallel universe or they're too insecure to admit reality. I know women in their mid- to late 30s and they've told me they get far less attention from men as they did when they were 21. None of them said they get more attention now.

So the idea that 40 year olds are as attractive as 23 year olds, is laughable.

I guess if you ask the question on a forum like CD where the average poster is middle-aged, you get delusional answers like some of the ones on this thread.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:46 PM

6,456 posts, read 7,027,448 times
Braunwyn:

Quote:
I'm not saying it's unthinkable. Clearly, we're thinking about it. I do believe it's a bit of malarky.
I think you're trying to reach for ways to rationalize the idea so that it can relate to your original idea. All of my examples both through personal experience and observation were sound and logical enough to substantiate my my original point.

Quote:
It's passed around the CD table quite a bit. I find it interesting that it's so foreign to my world. I think it may be a regional thing because suits hanging out in Starbucks and dunkins
So you obviously don't see 'men in suits' buying coffee on their way to work, or eating a sandwich in sandwich shop because they are simply too good for that?

Quote:
And viewing that as a sign of success is a little whacky as well in my neck of the woods. Cambridge is loaded with scientists, physicians, IT, etc and folk just don't run around looking like that.
I'm specifically refering to the Wall Street/Broad way Financial area. But perhaps you're right. The men in suits could be sweeping floors, while the employees in the restaurants are simply doing it as a hobby.

Quote:
Office jockies might, and certainly sales people, but it would be difficult to gauge folk younger than 50 with that kind of measure.
I'm not sure how difficult it is to guage that folks wearing suit and ties walking out of the stock exchange are substantially more well off than the employees working in a coffee shop or restaurant.

Quote:
You and your finance hang out with her minimum wage employees with their loaded boyfriends?
First, mid five figured to low six figured men in NYC are not considered to be "loaded." Not loaded enough anyway to naturally separate the classes.

Second, it's totally feasable considering she was a "minimum wage" earner herself at the same establishment one time who now earns significantly more than they do now. Their friendships didn't simply evaporate after her career advancement. She still goes out to dinner, buys a drink or two and still discusses her personal life with them at times. Essentially they are still "friends" in those regards even after the fact. Surprising huh?

Quote:
That sounds bizarre to me. I think it's odd that you guys are hanging. I think it's odd that you all share info about your finances.
I wouldn't say "share" is the accurate way to describe it. Because she knows how much they earn because oversees their work, and because she knows them personally (she even hired some of them), therefore she is well aware of what of what they are capable of affording. Second, her friends tell her what their boyfriends and fiances do, and in most instances how much they earn. Yes, women do that quite often lol. And it's especially obvious when her "minimum wage" earning friends regularly sport Louise Vutton handbags (they have several of them mind you), and while knowing that their BFs earn 150k, it isn't a far reach to conclude who probably paid for it.

Second, NYC is a very overcrowded, densely populated few doezen square miles of land mass. Unless you are on the very upper echelons of wealth, it's very likely that you'll exchange glances with people from all walks of life. Heck, some of the most popular areas and "hang out" spots were made famous by the poorest groups and later fraternized by people more well off. Funny enough, the more well off types, tend to try to act like they're poor just to fit in with the area. This is espescially true for certain restaurants, clothing stores, clubs, lounges etc.

Quote:
I do agree with you, tho, in that female high earners will probably not spend the time with minimum wage earners. They will likely end up with men who are professionally on par with them.
I'm not so sure that I would classify that as being "on par" more than I would be quicker to label women as being more class and social status conscious than men are in how they present themselves.

Quote:
With that said, the vast majority of men tend to couple with women of similar SES.
The "vast majority" of their BFs/husbands etc still earn more than they do. And, I find it's hard to believe that most women would be interested in dating or marrying a man who made less than they did regardless of the amount. I've heard (and I'm sure you may have as well) women state that a man should be making MORE than they are, not equal and certainly it is NOT understandable if they are making less.

Quote:
Again, none of us are ever privy to the portfolios of strangers. My step father always dresses to impress, for example. You'll never find him without a suit and tie. He'll always buy the table drinks, etc. He's never had a pot to p*ss in or a window to throw it out of, really. We never really know.

Again, I think it's disingenuous to sell the idea that the probability that men on their way to work in the morning earn equal or less than the women that hit on in the businesses that they choose to patronize in. I'm not so sure that could be sold to the judge and the jury.

Last edited by itshim; 02-21-2012 at 08:59 PM..

Old 02-21-2012, 08:52 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,662,923 times
[quote=MIKEETC;23080125]No.

[there are beautiful women of all ages][/quote

I appreciate you recognizing and refering to them as women. There were a couple comments about 25 year old girls and that struck me as odd. After all a 25 yo male isn't called a boy.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:07 PM

6,456 posts, read 7,027,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
Pretty much all women go downhill in the looks department after 25. Some of them go downhill slow enough such that they can maintain above-average looks in their early 30s, but even those women will admit they were more attractive when they were 24 than 32. The people who say women look better with age must be living in parallel universe or they're too insecure to admit reality. I know women in their mid- to late 30s and they've told me they get far less attention from men as they did when they were 21. None of them said they get more attention now.

So the idea that 40 year olds are as attractive as 23 year olds, is laughable.

I guess if you ask the question on a forum like CD where the average poster is middle-aged, you get delusional answers like some of the ones on this thread.
I can understand perfectly how many want to disllusion themselves with the idea that those golden gates will never close. Many don't like to imagine a time when men are not at their beck and call, fawning all over them and being told how absolutely stunning they are and how lucky men are to even have the privelege of gracing their presence while lavishing them with gifts.

It's sort of like an old boxer who doesn't know when to quit and that it's all over.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:16 PM

7,525 posts, read 17,016,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariagostrey View Post
so what do you, smart nerdy men at city-data think of 25 year old girls?
I'd hit on them....but I'm not much of a nerd....more of a hedonist.

Quote:
Are they past their prime?
Once they pass 16 they're on their way "downhill" and past their prime

Quote:
How at this point in their life should they be navigating the dating pool to capitalize most of whats left of their beauty and youth?
Develop character, courage, and your native intelligence. Everything else is starting to sag, wrinkle, or hurt.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:27 PM

307 posts, read 632,072 times
Quote:
with the quarterlife crisis comes another for twenty five year old girls everywhere; fear of fading youth. though technically we have 5 more years of perky youthfulness on our side, it is hard to look sideways when the men we want to date seem to bypass us for the freshly blossomed 21 year olds joining the dating pool.
so what do you, smart nerdy men at city-data think of 25 year old girls? Are they past their prime?How at this point in their life should they be navigating the dating pool to capitalize most of whats left of their beauty and youth?
I don't think you have much to worry about. As long as you pay attention to your appearance and keep your figure in good shape, you should have some attention from men at any age. They won't be the same men as when you were 20, but at any age there is going to be a group of single men that are looking for a relationship. My mom is in her late 60's and I see older men flirting with her at the retirement community center when my dad isn't around, so there really is no age limit.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:31 PM

437 posts, read 927,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestyn View Post
I don't think you have much to worry about. As long as you pay attention to your appearance and keep your figure in good shape, you should have some attention from men at any age. They won't be the same men as when you were 20, but at any age there is going to be a group of single men that are looking for a relationship. My mom is in her late 60's and I see older men flirting with her at the retirement community center when my dad isn't around, so there really is no age limit.
This is true. After my dad passed away, my 70 yo mother had men lined up to take her out. Our society puts some weird premium on youth.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:34 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,651,575 times
Biologically speaking no, but many certainly start looking like it; wrinkles, stretch marks or packing on the pounds. I guess all that partying, sluttin' it up, marrying and/or divorcing over the previous 9 years takes a toll on too many ladies when they should be taking better care of themselves in their prime years.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:34 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,518,832 times
I see women in her 40's and 50's look way better then 20's.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:43 PM

17,869 posts, read 21,036,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
Here we go. I see it's time for a double dose of reality again. I love this part, actually. Thanks for making me do it.

The average man does NOT age better than the average woman. Men just think they look far better than they do because women are very forgiving in that department. Far more than men are. Women often have this distorted view of themselves where they feel they're less attractive than they are. Men think they're far more attractive than they are.
See I think the opposite.

I know I won't age that well. I'm a guy and I know what my dad looks like. I know I won't look amazing when I get his age lol.

Now my mom? She was HOT. Men would do double takes with her all the time. Especially younger men! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships