Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2012, 05:58 AM

73 posts, read 156,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Check out my profile pic..the other one I have is not pg-13
Well, guess i have to eat my own words....... this time. You might even set the bar for other 36 y/o women. Now, about that pic that isn't PG-13

Last edited by Eddie Felson; 02-22-2012 at 06:26 AM..

Old 02-22-2012, 06:21 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,085,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
Pretty much all women go downhill in the looks department after 25. Some of them go downhill slow enough such that they can maintain above-average looks in their early 30s, but even those women will admit they were more attractive when they were 24 than 32. The people who say women look better with age must be living in parallel universe or they're too insecure to admit reality. I know women in their mid- to late 30s and they've told me they get far less attention from men as they did when they were 21. None of them said they get more attention now.

So the idea that 40 year olds are as attractive as 23 year olds, is laughable.

I guess if you ask the question on a forum like CD where the average poster is middle-aged, you get delusional answers like some of the ones on this thread.
I can honestly say that at 37, I DO get more attention now than I did when I was 21. Not really sure what it is, I'm not some supermodel knockout and I do look my age

I'm not really sure what it is though.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:24 AM

365 posts, read 645,209 times
I'd say after 28. A woman enters a different phase. I wouldn't say she is past her prime. But the youthful innocence about life seems to be gone. She is definitely still sexy. But she has a grown woman vibe about her.

After 37. I would say that her prime is probably gone around there. She can still look hot. But she is now hot for an almost 40 year old.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:25 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,208,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Braunwyn:
I think you're trying to reach for ways to rationalize the idea so that it can relate to your original idea. All of my examples both through personal experience and observation were sound and logical enough to substantiate my my original point.
I don't think it's intellectually possible for me, or anyone, to rationalize your assumptions. I do not find your assumptions to be observations nor do I find it sound. What you are doing is drawing conclusions about interactions you think you are witnessing from strangers. There is nothing logical about it.

Quote:
So you obviously don't see 'men in suits' buying coffee on their way to work, or eating a sandwich in sandwich shop because they are simply too good for that?
I generally don't see successful men engaging minimum wage workers in any kind of depth.

Quote:
I'm specifically refering to the Wall Street/Broad way Financial area. But perhaps you're right. The men in suits could be sweeping floors, while the employees in the restaurants are simply doing it as a hobby.
I'm just not sure why you assume anything or how you are reasonably drawing conclusions about strangers.

Quote:
I'm not sure how difficult it is to guage that folks wearing suit and ties walking out of the stock exchange are substantially more well off than the employees working in a coffee shop or restaurant.
This conversation reminds me of my father a bit. I love him, but he's quite ignorant (sad to say). I was telling him yesterday how my big boss is getting pushed out. The whole situation is sad. I mentioned how another scientist at a different site is going to take the global lead. It makes sense because he's a better scientist imo (90% of our exploratory publications are under his name, as well as the new assays, technology, or whatever we develop). My father takes this information, filters it through his past experience, which is limited, and starts going on about how my boss was probably caught taking credit for work that didn't belong to him. He became quite passionate in his warrantless rant.

It amazes me how people can so easily superimpose whatever bizarre ideas they have onto just about anybody.

Quote:
First, mid five figured to low six figured men in NYC are not considered to be "loaded." Not loaded enough anyway to naturally separate the classes.
I don't think 6 figures is loaded either, but next to a minimum wage earner it is and it is certainly a class divide generally when considering terminal positions/profession. Obvsiously, that's not the case with students.

Quote:
Second, it's totally feasable considering she was a "minimum wage" earner herself at the same establishment one time who now earns significantly more than they do now. Their friendships didn't simply evaporate after her career advancement. She still goes out to dinner, buys a drink or two and still discusses her personal life with them at times. Essentially they are still "friends" in those regards even after the fact. Surprising huh?
I do think it's surprising, but I don't really have much experience with that kind of venue.

Quote:
I wouldn't say "share" is the accurate way to describe it. Because she knows how much they earn because oversees their work, and because she knows them personally (she even hired some of them), therefore she is well aware of what of what they are capable of affording. Second, her friends tell her what their boyfriends and fiances do, and in most instances how much they earn. Yes, women do that quite often lol. And it's especially obvious when her "minimum wage" earning friends regularly sport Louise Vutton handbags (they have several of them mind you), and while knowing that their BFs earn 150k, it isn't a far reach to conclude who probably paid for it.
I would guess. Although, I do not figure it to be common. My reasoning- For the past 30-50 years the most common way people met for dating purposes were via friends. Friends tend to have similar interests/hobbies, backgrounds, culture, education, and SES. So, when folk meet via friends it's likely to be individuals of the same cloth. The next most common ways are family, college, and work (that's surprising). I don't think there is great disparity among colleagues is most work places. This lines up with what is reported in census as well. Proximity rules. The majority outlier of server/barista just doesn't fit that well in the grand scheme of the data.

Quote:
I'm not so sure that I would classify that as being "on par" more than I would be quicker to label women as being more class and social status conscious than men are in how they present themselves.
See above. I'm not sure how it could not be about proximity. People meet in college, at work, and through friends most of the time. All three spaces will hold folk who are similar.

Quote:
The "vast majority" of their BFs/husbands etc still earn more than they do.
That is the case for most and most are not decent earners (I won't say high). Blue collar workers significantly out earn pink collar workers. But, white collar workers? I don't buy it (sorry ladies). When I review wage disparity data far too often are all professions and wages thrown into one pot. When the data is parsed and filtered appropriately, tho, we see that young professional women are not only earning as much as their young male counterparts, but often times out earning them (I doubt it's a significant difference).

Quote:
And, I find it's hard to believe that most women would be interested in dating or marrying a man who made less than they did regardless of the amount. I've heard (and I'm sure you may have as well) women state that a man should be making MORE than they are, not equal and certainly it is NOT understandable if they are making less.

Yes, I have heard it as well. I’m reluctant to consider those comments with a blanketed view. It really depends on the women (their SES, education, etc). For example, a 20k difference is going to be a big deal for a woman who earns 25-30k. It’s going to be less of an issue for a woman earning 120k. Heck, among my friends close to a 100k difference is causing anyone to cry. I have one gf earning in the mid six figures and her husband is in the low six figures. They’re both attorneys, but they took different paths and had different professional goals (she respects his goals). It’s not a big deal.
Quote:
Again, I think it's disingenuous to sell the idea that the probability that men on their way to work in the morning earn equal or less than the women that hit on in the businesses that they choose to patronize in. I'm not so sure that could be sold to the judge and the jury.
I’m not trying to be disingenuous. I’m only pointing out that you are doing a lot of assuming and it doesn’t really hold value. I would be wary of forming opinions based on assumptions about situations I’m not privy to.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:32 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,838,335 times
Quarterlife crisis is a term coined by authors Abby Wilner and Alexandra Robbins, who cowrote two books about the phenomenon, meant to describe the turmoil that early, mid or even late 20-somethings go through as they adjust to life in adulthood and the choices they've made (or not made).

Anyway, OP I don't see men running for 21-year olds. Most men in my age range are already married or in relationships and contrary to popular belief it's usually with women around their own ages.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:10 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,702,004 times
25 years old is your cutoff for youthful energy? There are rockstars still touring and living life who are 40, 50 years old.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:12 AM

22,356 posts, read 29,476,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
Pretty much all women go downhill in the looks department after 25. Some of them go downhill slow enough such that they can maintain above-average looks in their early 30s, but even those women will admit they were more attractive when they were 24 than 32. The people who say women look better with age must be living in parallel universe or they're too insecure to admit reality. I know women in their mid- to late 30s and they've told me they get far less attention from men as they did when they were 21. None of them said they get more attention now.

I guess if you ask the question on a forum like CD where the average poster is middle-aged, you get delusional answers like some of the ones on this thread.

I really don't know what planet you're living on but you are waaaayyy off base here. You must be a youngin

Old 02-22-2012, 10:14 AM

22,356 posts, read 29,476,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Felson View Post
Well, guess i have to eat my own words....... this time. You might even set the bar for other 36 y/o women. Now, about that pic that isn't PG-13

Thank you

Old 02-22-2012, 10:21 AM

3,295 posts, read 7,021,793 times
25, in human years, is incredibly, incredibly old! It's amazing to be still standing at that age. One would be really, really, past their prime....

...in dog years.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:37 AM

3,588 posts, read 5,733,559 times

What's laughable to 40 year old women is the realization that men who have the kind of thinking of,

"You're ___ years old; fewer or no men are interested in you anymore"

These are the men who tend to lean towards controlling behavior with women; they are the ones who tend to view them as objects to gratify their lusts; they prefer younger women because they are easier to "manage" You may be able to dictate to a 21 year old who they should be and what they should want, but try that with a typical woman at midlife. You might get your itty bitty feelings hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships