Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 05:52 AM

10,448 posts, read 12,490,102 times

Advertisements

Of course not. It would be way more selfish to have kids cause you felt like you had to when deep down inside you didn't want them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 06:17 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,698,750 times
No, I do not think you are selfish. I think you are incredibly self-aware and smart. Parenting is not for everyone. There are far too many people out there having kids they don't really want. These same people don't always devote themselves to raising these children, which creates a myriad of problems for the kids and society as a whole.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:24 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,024,297 times
If you were 20-25 and saying this, I'd likely say you didn't yet know what you want.

However, you're 34. Whatever your hobbies (hey, I don't judge, it takes all kinds) you're old enough to know what appeals to you and what doesn't. Maybe something will change your mind and maybe it won't, but if you don't want children -- don't have them! To have them and not want them would BE selfish, because then you'd start a slow pattern of either neglect OR resentment for the time, care and money they required.

I can understand where this questions comes from. There are loads of people out there who will say such things, about how if you're of a marrying and child-bearing age and NOT doing it, it's because you're self-absorbed.

Frankly, I don't consider that the case. I think the parents who have children they didn't particulary want because it was the "thing to do" end up making fairly poor parents. Their children may never want for material goods, may never suffer any form of neglect at all -- other than emotional, because it's hard to pour your heart into something when your heart just isn't IN it in the first place.

This doesn't make you a lousy human being, doesn't mean something is missing from your character. It just means you're not one of those people who wants children.

I say enjoy your life your way. Me, I have a son I adore, and I enjoy my life MY way -- and we're both just fine in our own way, right?

Old 02-27-2012, 06:30 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,076,716 times
I'd say you sound responsible, not selfish.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:32 AM
miu

17,772 posts, read 40,252,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
No. Not everyone should be married, and not every married couple should have children.
^^^ Pretty much this. I know a lot of people who would make terrible parents. I also know many terrible parents. Just because you make babies, doesn't mean that you turn into a good parent along the way.

Oh, and terrible parents make children that turn into unhappy and sometimes destructive teenagers and adult human beings.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:39 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,794,349 times
Not selfish, just make sure your actions speak to your words. If you don't want children either get a vasectomy or always wear a condom.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:39 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,578,957 times
It's not selfish to know your own mind. Children are a huge drain on your time and money. If you don't want to make the sacrifices that children require, you certainly don't have to. Have you been talking to someone who called you "selfish"? That person is just trying to make you feel guilty for going against the flow. Frankly, there are more than enough people in the world already. Be free! Travel, have fun, whatever makes you happy.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:46 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,861,652 times
I wouldn't call it selfish. Some people value different things. Some people value starting a family and some people value their own personal time. I see no problem.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:48 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,524,640 times
No.

What is selfish is having kids and then being unwilling to give up your personal time.

At least you know yourself well enough to avoid a painful situation.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:50 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,861,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No.

What is selfish is having kids and then being unwilling to give up your personal time.

At least you know yourself well enough to avoid a painful situation.
I agree with this completely and it's something I forgot to mention.

It's very unsettling when guys run around having children with multiple women and never play a fatherly role in their children's lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships