Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 08:48 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,794,554 times

Advertisements

And I might add that it is not responsible to just "know" that you don't want children. If you don't want them the responsible thing to do is to make it physically impossible or at least 99% aka vasectomy. It's very inexpensive and it's an outpatient procedure.
You can always freeze some samples prior to surgery to have just in case you change your mind down the road.

Children change your life. You cannot afford an "oops" if you know you are not interested in being a parent. Children deserve to be born into a loving environment where they are wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 08:50 AM

10,448 posts, read 12,490,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
It is not wrong or weird but it is selfish. Selfish in the sense that you only want to focus on yourself.

It is your right to be selfish. Knowing yourself is also good.

Not everyone should get married or have kids.
Not necessarily. Some people want to be selfless in other ways.

I don't think I want to have my own kids, but I want to work with the deaf and the blind—especially deaf and blind children.

Having kids is not the defining factor of someone’s character.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
No. Also, selfish is subjective. One could argue it being selfish either way, but being selfish is not always bad.
Good point. Aren't we all selfish in one way or another? You have to know what you want and then go for it. That's selfish and that's not a bad thing at all. Each person has to live for themselves.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:54 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,317,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
And I might add that it is not responsible to just "know" that you don't want children. If you don't want them the responsible thing to do is to make it physically impossible or at least 99% aka vasectomy. It's very inexpensive and it's an outpatient procedure.
You can always freeze some samples prior to surgery to have just in case you change your mind down the road.

Children change your life. You cannot afford an "oops" if you know you are not interested in being a parent. Children deserve to be born into a loving environment where they are wanted.
Can anyone explain to me why a women has to be 25 y/o with 2 children for a lot of doctors to even contemplate tubal ligation. I am 25 with no children and I have had 2 OBGYN's refuse to do the surgery. I went with implanon (birth control inserted into my arm), but I would much rather have a more permanent method.

Can men have a vasectomy done at any age?

Old 02-27-2012, 09:04 AM

10,448 posts, read 12,490,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
Good point. Aren't we all selfish in one way or another? You have to know what you want and then go for it. That's selfish and that's not a bad thing at all. Each person has to live for themselves.
Who is more selfish:

1) The childless adult who has decided that they are not fit for parenting because of their psychological state and don’t want to project their own problems onto another human being, or

2) The parent who had a child for the welfare benefits and also is not in touch with her parents but wants to go to college and needs financial aid, which requires including parental contact info on the FAFSA form—except if you have your own child. (In other words, if she had the baby so that she didn’t have to contact her parents to get financial aid.)

Is it really fair to say someone isn’t selfish because they have a child and they are because they don’t?

Old 02-27-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Can anyone explain to me why a women has to be 25 y/o with 2 children for a lot of doctors to even contemplate tubal ligation. I am 25 with no children and I have had 2 OBGYN's refuse to do the surgery. I went with implanon (birth control inserted into my arm), but I would much rather have a more permanent method.

For females the procedure is much more complicated and if they change their mind down the road there is no turning back.

I'm not sure if a man has to be a certain age or not.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Who is more selfish:

1) The childless adult who has decided that they are not fit for parenting because of their psychological state and don’t want to project their own problems onto another human being, or

2) The parent who had a child for the welfare benefits and also is not in touch with her parents but wants to go to college and needs financial aid, which requires including parental contact info on the FAFSA form—except if you have your own child. (In other words, if she had the baby so that she didn’t have to contact her parents to get financial aid.)

Is it really fair to say someone isn’t selfish because they have a child and they are because they don’t?
I stated that people should live how they want and that we should all be selfish when it comes to making decisions about our lives.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:17 AM

26,706 posts, read 41,855,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post

Liability. Doctors are probably fearful if the woman who has no kids changes her mind and encounters difficulity getting pregnant after attempting to reverse the original surgery they can be found liable.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:21 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,317,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Liability. Doctors are probably fearful if the woman who has no kids changes her mind and encounters difficulity getting pregnant after attempting to reverse the original surgery they can be found liable.
I understand the liability issue. It is just obnoxious that I am an adult and can not make the same permanent decisions that a man my age (and likely much younger) can choose to make. Especially since it would help avoid an unwanted pregnancy.

Oh well, as soon as I can find someone to agree to do it I will. I would definitely sign a consent form releasing my OBGYN from any liability if it meant could have the procedure done. I think it would be more than worth it for my own piece of mind.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:26 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,621,121 times
No, in fact there was a whole long thread about choosing to be child free on here not too long ago.

Not everyone feels the need to go along with society's thinking that we all need to be married with 2.5 kids and a dog, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships