Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 12:36 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times

Advertisements

Germaine, change keys and throw the bum out of the house.

I can't believe someone collecting charity checks smoking it away. This whole UE thing is a scam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 12:37 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,015,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
No, it's not to ridiculous to compare this to cocain...it's not, seriously, I smoked and know the addiction very well, and also suffered great withdraw when I quit so many times....so, no, it surely isn't unrealistic to compare smoking to a drug...
I didn't say that nicotine is not a drug...I'm saying it's ridiculous to compare it to cocaine. It also is a difficult habit to quit (also like other drugs) but...IT'S LEGAL and I know you know that these two substances effect one radically different. That's all I'm saying...

Oh, and to criminalize someone for smoking as if they were snorting a line is the way so many non and ex smokers act. I don't understand it personally. Ex smokers may be the worst, IMO. They seem to have a superiority complex when it comes to this issue and honestly, it makes me sick (although I'm not sure if this is the way you are...sorry if you're not).

I just think that there are deeper issues and smoking is an easy way out. The OP keeps reminding us that she is the main breadwinner...as if to say that she must approve all expenditures in the household and if it's not something she approves of, she'll cop an attitude. Just like Mommy would...

I personally believe if you asked calmly, without attitude and expectation, for your husband to smoke in the garage or outside, and maybe helped him set up a little lounge area or something for comfort, he would be accommodating. And he would probably smoke less because I'm sure it's cold in the winter and those visits would be cut down. But I promise you, the more you dig in your heels and nag about the money, HE'LL dig in HIS heels and never quit. I'm sure you think this is disrespectful to you, but I believe it's more about preserving even one thing that you can't control.

Control freaks never seem to learn to compromise...maybe it's time to start...then maybe in the end, you will get what you want.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:39 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,015,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post

I can't believe someone collecting charity checks smoking it away. This whole UE thing is a scam.
Charity checks? Really? Bum? Divorce him?

WOW...just plain WOW! I know people like you but fortunately I don't see them every day.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:45 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
Charity checks? Really? Bum? Divorce him?

WOW...just plain WOW! I know people like you but fortunately I don't see them every day.
The government is doing him some serious favour. But instead, he is burning it all away. And besides, he's putting the sole breadwinner of the house at misery. There's no excuse for a grown adult to behave this way. He is not a teenager. He needs to be kicked out of his comfort zone and put on the streets. He can go collect grocery store carts or he can hold a card by the highway ramp - "Need to smoke. Help Please", if he really wants to earn his smoke.

Look at the immense waste of more money - therapist for depression, then smoke quitting meds, marriage counselling, loss of 5K per annum on smoke, wife stress. He is a liability on the world around him.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:45 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post

No it's not.

There is some abuse, like what we just read, but the vast majority who are getting unemployment are really hurting.

Many after finding a job will take a big hit in pay.

To keep on topic there is another person in this marriage besides the smoker who's health is being compromised.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:50 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Health food stores sell herbal cigarettes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbal_cigarette

Old 03-01-2012, 12:54 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
I didn't say that nicotine is not a drug...I'm saying it's ridiculous to compare it to cocaine. It also is a difficult habit to quit (also like other drugs) but...IT'S LEGAL and I know you know that these two substances effect one radically different. That's all I'm saying...

Oh, and to criminalize someone for smoking as if they were snorting a line is the way so many non and ex smokers act. I don't understand it personally. Ex smokers may be the worst, IMO. They seem to have a superiority complex when it comes to this issue and honestly, it makes me sick (although I'm not sure if this is the way you are...sorry if you're not).

I just think that there are deeper issues and smoking is an easy way out. The OP keeps reminding us that she is the main breadwinner...as if to say that she must approve all expenditures in the household and if it's not something she approves of, she'll cop an attitude. Just like Mommy would...

I personally believe if you asked calmly, without attitude and expectation, for your husband to smoke in the garage or outside, and maybe helped him set up a little lounge area or something for comfort, he would be accommodating. And he would probably smoke less because I'm sure it's cold in the winter and those visits would be cut down. But I promise you, the more you dig in your heels and nag about the money, HE'LL dig in HIS heels and never quit. I'm sure you think this is disrespectful to you, but I believe it's more about preserving even one thing that you can't control.

Control freaks never seem to learn to compromise...maybe it's time to start...then maybe in the end, you will get what you want.
Do a google search on that. Find out how many die and suffer from cigarettes compared to cocaine. I'm sure if I went into it more my post would be removed. It's only legal because the government says so. However, if it were a new product it would never get approved.

Also, consider there is another person involved. With cocaine there is only one.

The OP has choices in life. He "digs his heels in" doesn't mean she has to stay.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:55 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Health food stores sell herbal cigarettes.

Herbal cigarette - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Now if that doesn't make you quit, nothing will.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:01 PM

951 posts, read 1,811,244 times
Finding someone who is a non smoker should be first on everyone's priority list.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:12 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
With cocaine there is only one.
Cool! Why don't we all start doing cocaine?! Or even heroine, while we're at that! It's so much nicer!

In fact, crazy CA is already down that path. I read (I believe on CD) that at some game the security only had a problem with the cigarette smokers in some corner. Pot was fine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships