Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 05:29 PM

766 posts, read 1,658,664 times

Advertisements

Hello,

As the title states I am trying online dating for the first time. I have gotten a lot of responses and so far I am only really interested in one person. I received a message from a guy last Thursday. We ended up chatting, then texting that night. The next day we talked on the phone for maybe 45 minutes after texting again. He said something about my voice, so I said why don't you call.

Well the next 2 days was just light texting/small talk....How are you type of thing...What are you up too, etc...Nothing much at all. He does at least all text me first.

Well last night I thought about him and I kind of wanted to talk. I hoped he would call or text, but nothing...Nothing today. I thought about texting to ask if he's busy and wants to talk. I know he's out of town for business starting today.

I haven't dated much the last couple years, mainly due to my S.A.D. I am just nervous and rusty. Last night one of my BFFs told me to just text to see if he was busy, but I never did.

Any tips....Should I wait for him to call or just call or text him? Since we have only been talking for like 4 days, lol...do I need to just see what happens. Is all this texting normal? I like texting, but not this much. By me not texting him make it seem like I am not interested?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 05:35 PM

733 posts, read 1,664,023 times
You are making a mistake I made when I first started online dating: focusing on one person when there are literally plenty of fish in the sea. Let this one go. And from now on: connect with 3 guys at once, no more no less if you can help it. That way you wouldn't get too attached to any one of them too early and jinx it. Keep your options open, and chances are, they are keeping their options too. It's all fair and part of the online dating process. Until you decide to be exclusive with one guy, always keep 3 guys around and don't sleep with any of them until exclusivity.

Good luck.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:37 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,285,858 times
As you are new to Internet dating the most important piece of advice I will offer is this: DO NOT give someone you just met online, your home or cell number the same day you meet them. Get to know someone a bit better before you give out such personal information!

Old 03-12-2012, 05:40 PM

773 posts, read 1,259,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlilac View Post
You are making a mistake I made when I first started online dating: focusing on one person when there are literally plenty of fish in the sea.
I made the same mistake, and the guy I focused on turned out to be not all that at all.

Online dating is very tricky. People show interest ... then they disappear. It's very common. I've heard it said that you should try to meet someone for the first time ASAP, so you'll know if they're a good LT candidate. A few emails is fine, but an extended period of contact without meeting could be spinning your wheels.

Good luck!

Old 03-12-2012, 05:41 PM

I did think about that, but my friend was like well it's easy to just block a phone number if you need too. I didn't give any other personal information.

That is good information for the future so thanks, but it's too late for this situation.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlilac View Post
You are making a mistake I made when I first started online dating: focusing on one person when there are literally plenty of fish in the sea. Let this one go. And from now on: connect with 3 guys at once, no more no less if you can help it. That way you wouldn't get too attached to any one of them too early and jinx it. Keep your options open, and chances are, they are keeping their options too. It's all fair and part of the online dating process. Until you decide to be exclusive with one guy, always keep 3 guys around and don't sleep with any of them until exclusivity.

Good luck.
That's a good idea. I have gotten a lot of responses and most of them I wasn't interested in. I was talking to 3 guys initially. One I never heard back from since Saturday and the other I haven't heard anything in days.

I just checked my inbox and I had 3 new messages and 1 old one from someone I had been corresponding with. The 3 new ones I am not interested in and the old one seems nice, but really not my type.

I guess I said 1, b/c this is the one I like the most that I am focusing on which I see I should not be doing now, lol...

Sorry I am rambling.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaut112 View Post
I made the same mistake, and the guy I focused on turned out to be not all that at all.

Online dating is very tricky. People show interest ... then they disappear. It's very common. I've heard it said that you should try to meet someone for the first time ASAP, so you'll know if they're a good LT candidate. A few emails is fine, but an extended period of contact without meeting could be spinning your wheels.

Good luck!
I have noticed that. The ones that I am more interested in I don't hear much from and the ones I am not interested in won't stop inboxing me.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:48 PM

773 posts, read 1,259,913 times
To the OP — there's nothing wrong with being picky, IMHO.

When I first joined an online dating site, I chose very carefully. My time is valuable, and I don't want to waste a couple of hours with a guy I don't think I'll mesh with. I got lucky and met my now-S.O. very soon in. I simply picked my "deal breakers" very carefully.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:52 PM

733 posts, read 1,664,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarsgirl79 View Post
That's a good idea. I have gotten a lot of responses and most of them I wasn't interested in. I was talking to 3 guys initially. One I never heard back from since Saturday and the other I haven't heard anything in days.

I just checked my inbox and I had 3 new messages and 1 old one from someone I had been corresponding with. The 3 new ones I am not interested in and the old one seems nice, but really not my type.

I guess I said 1, b/c this is the one I like the most that I am focusing on which I see I should not be doing now, lol...

Sorry I am rambling.
I don't know what site you are using, but don't hesitate to send "smiles" or quick chats to guys that catch your eye. They might not have seen your profile yet. If they like you, they would chat back or write a long mail. That way you are guaranteed a supply of guys that you are interested in.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:53 PM

At first I liked going through the profiles, but after a few days it's gotten old. I'm sure it would be different if it was someone I was really interested in.

I appreciate any other tips too...

So, no one thinks I should contact him? I know he said that he's initially kind of quiet when getting to know someone. He talked a lot, but he seemed nervous. That's why I thought maybe I could contact him, but is it too soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships