Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 03:37 PM

172 posts, read 116,994 times

Advertisements

Wife and I are moving house soon and the new house has a 600 sqft detached guest house that is about 300ft from the main house. Being ex-pats We get a lot of guests who stay with us for 4-6 weeks, so having a guest house is a huge plus.

My MIL is coming to visit for a month. She does not like to conform to our situation, but expects us to cater to her wants/routines. She also tries to assume authority while in our house (she has always called the shots in her house - it's just the way it's always been and you better accept it). Don't get me wrong, she is a nice lady in a lot of ways but only if you play by her rules.

Anyway my wife told me she (MIL) won't want to stay in the guest house. We won't have a bedroom for her in the main house, but the wife thinks she will want to stay there anyway and say something like, "Oh.. no I don't like that, I'll just stay in the loft it's much nicer" when we show her the guest house.

What do you guys think? Is it rude to ask 'close' family to stay in the guest house? Ultimately though, she will view it as her decision where she sleeps.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 03:45 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,124,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blank View Post
Wife and I are moving house soon and the new house has a 600 sqft detached guest house that is about 300ft from the main house. Being ex-pats We get a lot of guests who stay with us for 4-6 weeks, so having a guest house is a huge plus.

My MIL is coming to visit for a month. She does not like to conform to our situation, but expects us to cater to her wants/routines. She also tries to assume authority while in our house (she has always called the shots in her house - it's just the way it's always been and you better accept it). Don't get me wrong, she is a nice lady in a lot of ways but only if you play by her rules.

Anyway my wife told me she (MIL) won't want to stay in the guest house. We won't have a bedroom for her in the main house, but the wife thinks she will want to stay there anyway and say something like, "Oh.. no I don't like that, I'll just stay in the loft it's much nicer" when we show her the guest house.

What do you guys think? Is it rude to ask 'close' family to stay in the guest house? Ultimately though, she will view it as her decision where she sleeps.

Any suggestions?

Yes. Send her to a hotel. If not, The guest house it is. She sounds like she will run wild on you and then everyone will be miserable. Nuff said.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:57 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,824,973 times
How is it rude to offer her a quiet, private space where she can spend time with you guys? It's not like she's going to be caged up in the guest house for the whole day; I'm sure you and your wife are going to spend some time with her.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:04 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
How is it rude to offer her a quiet, private space where she can spend time with you guys? It's not like she's going to be caged up in the guest house for the whole day; I'm sure you and your wife are going to spend some time with her.
You never know what he's dealing with... Sounds like a milmonster.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:23 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,466,473 times
If she doesn't like the guest house, I'd tell her you need your privacy since she's staying so long. I wouldn't give her a choice - I'd tell her the guest house is set up for her, and it's that or she can get a long-stay hotel room.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:29 PM

172 posts, read 116,994 times
A hotel is out of the question as she doesn't drive. I end up spending all day and night with her because I'm a stay at home father and she obviously (and rightly so) wants to spend time with her grand kids. But she doesn't want to be responsible for them (food allergies), so I can't leave the house and escape for a few hours.

The weird thing is she has been my MIL for about close to two decades. We always visited her up until recently when we had children. Since it was her house and we were the guests I never had a problem with her and her routines. I had no idea that she would be so imposing. Before we had kids she never interfered and I would have said we had an excellent relationship.

BTW the guest house is a brand new renovation and it's not like we're going to be sticking her in a dump. She just likes to be close to everything that's going on so she can control what happens.

Last edited by Mr Blank; 04-09-2012 at 04:43 PM..

Old 04-09-2012, 04:36 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
You don't have a guesthouse now and she knows that. Tell her that one of the reasons you bought the house you did is because it has a nice guesthouse for guests to stay in, including her. Tell her you fixed it up with her in mind.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:43 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You never know what he's dealing with... Sounds like a milmonster.
Monsterinlaw, they're not quests.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:46 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
I've never understood the aversion to guest houses. I suggested to my ex that we buy a home with a guest house for his mom (as a compromise to her living with us) and the way he reacted, you'd have thought I suggested we chain her to a pole and toss her table scraps for dinner.

I think a guest house is great. It would give the MIL privacy and you privacy. If she can't appreciate that then maybe she doesn't need to visit.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:55 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,218,986 times
I think a lot depends on how it is presented.

I would make it a big deal; "We are so excited to have you stay in the guest house - we just love it! Isn't it marvelous!"

Then put some flowers in there for her and stock the frdge with her favorite drinks. You can be excitedly showing her all this as you show her the room. Approach it as though you're offering her a room in the Taj Mahal. : )

Display no doubt or concern - monster in laws can smell doubt from a mile away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships