Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 05:11 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,526,069 times

Advertisements

Just posing a question for those that don't. Assuming that you and your SO don't live together. If you do and you don't talk to each other every day at least once, I think there's issues there.
I've always thought talking to SO's and family members, at least growing up, was a way to share your day, like a diary, without writing in it.
If you are in a relationship and you don't actually talk to each other every day and it still works, feel free to share.
I mean in a committed relationship, not a part time lover, FWB or mistress deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 05:20 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,184,262 times
I would shoot myself if dating SO required we speak every day. I am looking at the clock or calendar to determine I have something to say? What I have to say is so important that it can't wait until we see each other? I wish I were that clever.

Anyway it has been a long time since DH and I were just dating. No we did not speak every day. We had no schedule. We spoke when we spoke.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:57 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
You know, if you are in a relationship with someone who is amazing, then you want to speak with that person every day. You never get tired of that person's conversation.

I can think of a handful of days in our entire life together when we didn't speak. And that was because I was overseas on assignment with a 12-hour time difference between the two of us. Even then, even though I was in an incredible place, I felt sad and empty that I couldn't share it with her.

But if you're not a soldier stationed in some distant part of the world, and if you're in a relationship where you can speak to your S/O every day and choose not to, then I would question whether this is the right relationship for you.

Last edited by cpg35223; 03-22-2012 at 06:13 PM..

Old 03-22-2012, 09:10 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,308,289 times
You have difficulty with it, which is why you are on the board. They don't. Stop playing 'chase the rabbit.' Either you will find the relationship redeeming or won't. Communication is key, but being able to be with someone in silence means you have truly met them and are at peace. Ask them to give you a time when you can talk about the discomfort you feel in the void of communication. It is both of your problem and you both need to solve it.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:22 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,784,192 times
No we don't live together, yes we communicate through texts and phone calls everyday. I would feel very disconnected if we didn't.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:51 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,608,685 times
We are in the process of moving, she has work. We talk every few days, we text a lot. We both long to be together. It will only be this way a few more weeks. Been 4 months now

Old 03-22-2012, 11:29 PM

527 posts, read 1,232,470 times
I feel like it really depends on what phase of the relationship you are in. If you are just starting off, seeing each other a couple of times a week is normal. Communication should come natural, not forced. You should want to do it. I can't imagine being in a committed relationship and only talk a few times a week.

OP, sorry I didn't really answer your question

Old 03-23-2012, 12:07 AM

566 posts, read 958,106 times
No.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:15 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,526,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Atoms View Post
You have difficulty with it, which is why you are on the board. They don't. Stop playing 'chase the rabbit.' Either you will find the relationship redeeming or won't. Communication is key, but being able to be with someone in silence means you have truly met them and are at peace. Ask them to give you a time when you can talk about the discomfort you feel in the void of communication. It is both of your problem and you both need to solve it.
Well, we just started. So I don't think it would be a great idea, to bring it up after just 5 weeks. Plus the main reason why, there have been a few days when we don't talk, text, email at all, is she's been working 12 hour days, plus almost an 1 hour commute each way.
If I'm still lucky enough to have her interest in almost 3 months and it's still like this, I may talk about it. I would hope by that time, she will just want to do that, talk to me, on the days where she works that long, without me mentioning it.
On the days she doesn't work that long, we've talked everyday except once.
Hope I don't jinx everything by mentioning all this online.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:36 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You know, if you are in a relationship with someone who is amazing, then you want to speak with that person every day. You never get tired of that person's conversation.

I can think of a handful of days in our entire life together when we didn't speak. And that was because I was overseas on assignment with a 12-hour time difference between the two of us. Even then, even though I was in an incredible place, I felt sad and empty that I couldn't share it with her.

But if you're not a soldier stationed in some distant part of the world, and if you're in a relationship where you can speak to your S/O every day and choose not to, then I would question whether this is the right relationship for you.
Agreed. I can think of something about every 5 minutes that I could share with my wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships