Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 02:54 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,607 times

Advertisements

Whole new world here....is an Interent date automatically a Dutch-date or is there the assumption the man will pick up? I guess one would have to predetermine this prior to the date.

And it sounds as though it went south way before the bill arrived so chalk it up to lesson learned and next time, discuss the payment plan before the date.

Sounds like this guy was more confused than dumb. You probably threw him off with the extra amount you gave him and he didn't want to appear to be a cheapskate so he handed it all over. Or maybe he was feeling sick and wanted to get up of there, fast!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 02:59 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZinniaDreamer View Post
Whole new world here....is an Interent date automatically a Dutch-date or is there the assumption the man will pick up? I guess one would have to predetermine this prior to the date.

And it sounds as though it went south way before the bill arrived so chalking up to lesson learned and next time, discuss the payment plan before the date.
I never discuss how we're going to pay beforehand. On every first date I have that involves a joint bill, I go for my purse when the bill comes and the guy either says something along the lines of "I'm treating, don't worry about it" or I pay my half. Most guys I've been out with will pay the whole thing, but I don't assume that they will which is why I make an offer to pay for myself.

Mod cut: Orphaned.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-24-2012 at 07:43 PM..

Old 03-24-2012, 03:18 PM

788 posts, read 1,271,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanman76 View Post
I just went on a date with a woman that I met on the internet. The date was ok, nothing great. The waitress, however, was smoking hot. She was so hot that I wanted to make a good impression on her and make her believe that I was wealthy. I would do this by giving a nice tip. Unforunately I am not wealthy and only had $20. The check was $21 so I made my date give me $12. She thought that she was paying for her share of the check but I instead used her money for a generous tip for the waitress.

The waitress now thinks that I am loaded and we are going out on a date next week. I need to ask my dad if I can borrow his car because mine is a piece of Sh*t.

That was hilarious!

Old 03-24-2012, 03:40 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
Strange. lol

Old 03-24-2012, 04:02 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,164,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
When I gave him my $12, I expected him to either:

1. Not accept it and pay the whole thing himself.
2. Take only $5 and give me $7 back.
3. Add $5 to the $20 and keep the $7 for himself.
4. Give the server $32, wait for the change, and take whatever he wanted back.

I would've preferred options 1, 2, 4, and 3 in that order.
hey, im all for the dude footing the bill on the first date/first few dates and would be put off if he didn't at least offer. you said there was clearly no chemistry, though, so i think that makes things different. it was nice of him to offer to pay for the meal and only have you leave the tip at that point and i do think thats what he was doing.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:32 PM

782 posts, read 1,087,398 times
It's quite possible that he wanted to leave a bad impression.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:45 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
You put in $10.50 for your half of the bill plus $1.50 for your share of the tip. He put in $20. I'd say you paid your share and he overpaid his. He was likely just trying to impress you. The money isn't the issue here. You didn't really like him well enough to want a second date. Let it go.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:57 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,614,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
You put in $10.50 for your half of the bill plus $1.50 for your share of the tip. He put in $20. I'd say you paid your share and he overpaid his. He was likely just trying to impress you. The money isn't the issue here. You didn't really like him well enough to want a second date. Let it go.
I don't think he was trying to impress me, and if he was, he failed miserably. If he was trying to impress me, he would've paid the entire bill plus tip.

I rarely feel an instant connection on first Internet dates, so I don't expect it and will usually give guys a second chance as long as there are no major dealbreakers. While I have accepted second dates with guys who did not pay for the first date, this particular guy's choice not to pay the bill (or his inability to pay) combined with other things about him definitely make me not interested in a second date.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:25 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,468,803 times
Who the hell bellyaches this much over $12. If you didn't like him, fine, but you are seriously complaining this much over a few bucks.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:33 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,676,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
When I gave him my $12, I expected him to either:

1. Not accept it and pay the whole thing himself.
2. Take only $5 and give me $7 back.
3. Add $5 to the $20 and keep the $7 for himself.
4. Give the server $32, wait for the change, and take whatever he wanted back.

I would've preferred options 1, 2, 4, and 3 in that order.
Never have expectations when you had over money. You hand it over, and that is the end of it. Anyway, it was a simple date, who are you to have a mental list of how the guy should treat the 12 bucks? Relax and have fun, stop looking reasons to pick at the men you date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships