Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 07:51 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,333,416 times

Advertisements

Weelll Mo dcut: Rude.

At 57 I been out on many a date.... But never had problems like this! cripe Tho I remember a time or 2 my date being short so I tell him dont worry I have the balance & how much tip you think we should leave? Girl YOU got a problem Mod cut: Rude.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 03-24-2012 at 08:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 07:52 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,672,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacelilies View Post
From what I've read, it doesn't seem like the guy had evil intent. 'Paying the bill' is one of the most confusing issues when it comes to dating. Where I'm from, it was automatically assumed that the man pay, ALWAYS. In the U.S, depending on who you're dating and his upbringing, it would depend.
The guy probably thought you were being a generous tipper or he didn't want to seem cheap.
Just look at it this way, you both went dutch and he paid slightly more.
This exactly was my first thought. They both seemed confused about who should pay and what to do. I don't get the feeling that he fully wanted her to pay for her half because of what happened. It just sounds like a fumble to me.

Unfortunately, I think she's put off by him now.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:52 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,627,396 times
Mod cut: Orphaned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
OP, you're clearly overthinking this.
Anyway, since there was no chemistry and you don't want to see the guy again, the point is moot. Let it go and move on!
It's true, I definitely do overanalyze things, but I too am bored with this thread and am ready to move on.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:04 PM

620 posts, read 1,301,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
1. No server deserves an $11 tip for bringing out two $8 salads.
Maybe he was a server in college or high school and feels that they deserve to be paid decent wages so he overcompensates on tips so that he can help out. I've left tips behind for servers who only bought out coffee for me and a friend; even though it isn't a complicated meal, you are still sitting at their table and they could be serving someone who would have a hundred dollar meal (thus leaving behind a much higher tip).

Old 03-24-2012, 09:57 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,278,380 times
Quote:
First internet date last night at a restaurant. Conversation was mostly boring and I felt no chemistry, but I wouldn't have said it was a terrible date...that is until the bill came. The bill is around $21, and the guy puts in $20 (he says he doesn't have change). I give him $12 (two $5 bills and two $1 dollar bills) for my portion of the bill. Instead of giving me some of my money back or taking the extra amount for himself, he puts ALL of it in the check holder for the server and we leave. He doesn't even wait to get change back from the server. So essentially, we pay $32 on a bill that was around $21 and service was definitely not that great.

I know that he's the one who lost money because I had exact change, but I'm just disturbed that he was "generous" enough to overtip the waiter, but had no problem with me paying my half of such a cheap bill.

Obviously, there won't be a second date.
Cut him some slack. He probably didn't want to seem cheap by pocketing some of the money you gave him. As you said, he's the one who lost money on this. He could have just put half of your money with his 20 and kept the rest.

Or are you annoyed that he actually accepted $12 from you, and didn't just take $6 of it and give $6 back to you?

Either way, you're going to take issue with six bucks? Really?

Old 03-24-2012, 10:15 PM

1,197 posts, read 2,280,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanman76 View Post
I just went on a date with a woman that I met on the internet. The date was ok, nothing great. The waitress, however, was smoking hot. She was so hot that I wanted to make a good impression on her and make her believe that I was wealthy. I would do this by giving a nice tip. Unforunately I am not wealthy and only had $20. The check was $21 so I made my date give me $12. She thought that she was paying for her share of the check but I instead used her money for a generous tip for the waitress.

The waitress now thinks that I am loaded and we are going out on a date next week. I need to ask my dad if I can borrow his car because mine is a piece of Sh*t.
This is awesome. What is most ironic is the OP that claims she dated the dumbest guy in the world is not smart enough to realize that this is sarcastic. . and brilliantly funny as well.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:58 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,627,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
This is awesome. What is most ironic is the OP that claims she dated the dumbest guy in the world is not smart enough to realize that this is sarcastic. . and brilliantly funny as well.
Just because I responded that the server wasn't hot doesn't mean that I didn't realize it was a joke. Try again.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:17 AM

1,391 posts, read 2,648,364 times
"Dumbest guy in America" eh? Good one. If you're being so scathing and fussy over a few dollars, that might have something to do with you being single.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:17 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,296,816 times
Wow, I've never been this upset or thought so much over a $20.00 bill I lost once and it was my last money until payday which was 3 days later. Thank goodness I had enough gasoline, food and smokes to cover me those 3 days.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:18 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,296,816 times
Quote:
Mod cut: Orphaned.

It's true, I definitely do overanalyze things, but I too am bored with this thread and am ready to move on.

I wonder how many others got bored with it just from the title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships