Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 06:38 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,653,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Never have expectations when you had over money. You hand it over, and that is the end of it.
I will agree with you there. That was my second mistake. The first mistake was going out with this guy in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 06:46 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,716,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I will agree with you there. That was my second mistake. The first mistake was going out with this guy in the first place.

That is what he said

Old 03-24-2012, 06:49 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,698,341 times
Quote:
I don't understand, how was going out with the guy in the first place a mistake? Most internet dates don't result in chemistry, that's just the way it goes. You weren't attracted to him, and he wasn't attracted to you. Where's the harm?

Old 03-24-2012, 06:58 PM

366 posts, read 776,449 times
Quote:
First internet date last night at a restaurant. Conversation was mostly boring and I felt no chemistry, but I wouldn't have said it was a terrible date...that is until the bill came...I know that he's the one who lost money because I had exact change, but I'm just disturbed that he was "generous" enough to overtip the waiter, but had no problem with me paying my half of such a cheap bill.

Obviously, there won't be a second date.
Maybe the guy was: a) rich, b) simply trying to impress you with his zealous generosity, or c) grateful for the service rendered to the two of you by the waiter. I can't believe you're twisted (yes, you're twisted because you referenced your Internet date as "the dumbest guy in America) over twelve bucks. Obviously, there are greater issues with this scenario, and I think it begins with you. You felt "no chemistry," and was mostly "bored" with your "first" date with "the dumbest guy in America," yet you "wouldn't ...say it was a terrible date."

Old 03-24-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiansheng_g View Post
I can't believe you're twisted (yes, you're twisted because you referenced your Internet date as "the dumbest guy in America) over twelve bucks.
Ok fine, calling him "the dumbest guy in America" might've been a bit harsh. More like the dumbest guy I've been out with in a while. I mean, geez, I went out with someone who admitted to me that he was a total pothead and that he was going home to smoke some after our date, but at least he was a fun and interesting date and told me to put my purse down when the check came...and it was way more than $21!

Old 03-24-2012, 07:27 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,394,113 times
You planned to pay your 1/2 & you did..... What he did with his 1/2 & the balance of His money is NOT your business! Maybe what you felt was Bad service he thought the waitress deserved a tip! Get over it already!

Old 03-24-2012, 07:33 PM

826 posts, read 1,897,197 times
Quote:
First internet date last night at a restaurant. Conversation was mostly boring and I felt no chemistry, but I wouldn't have said it was a terrible date...that is until the bill came. The bill is around $21, and the guy puts in $20 (he says he doesn't have change). I give him $12 (two $5 bills and two $1 dollar bills) for my portion of the bill. Instead of giving me some of my money back or taking the extra amount for himself, he puts ALL of it in the check holder for the server and we leave. He doesn't even wait to get change back from the server. So essentially, we pay $32 on a bill that was around $21 and service was definitely not that great.

I know that he's the one who lost money because I had exact change, but I'm just disturbed that he was "generous" enough to overtip the waiter, but had no problem with me paying my half of such a cheap bill.

Obviously, there won't be a second date.
From what I've read, it doesn't seem like the guy had evil intent. 'Paying the bill' is one of the most confusing issues when it comes to dating in America. Where I'm from, it was automatically assumed that the man pay, ALWAYS. In the U.S, depending on who you're dating and his upbringing, it would depend. I am going to be honest, it was very annoying when I came to the U.S. and was introduced to the concept of dutch but I have adapted.
The guy at least contributed something. What if he had suddenly "lost" his wallet? How would you feel then?
Don't expend too much energy on this. You probably don't know this, but you are sounding really, really really upset and it's just $12? The guy was probably unaware of what he was doing.

Last edited by Peacelilies; 03-24-2012 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: More info

Old 03-24-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
You planned to pay your 1/2 & you did..... What he did with his 1/2 & the balance of His money is NOT your business! Maybe what you felt was Bad service he thought the waitress deserved a tip! Get over it already!
1. No server deserves an $11 tip for bringing out two $8 salads.
2. If he was only attempting to cover his half with the $20 and not get any change back from it, he's dumb.
3. If he was willingly contributing $20 for the entire bill, but couldn't (or wouldn't) come up with the extra $4-$5 for the tip and then couldn't even let me know that all he needed me to pay was the tip and not my entire half, he's dumb.
4. I was dumb for handing him $12 when he clearly didn't know what to do with it!

Old 03-24-2012, 07:49 PM

44,402 posts, read 20,136,139 times
OP, you're clearly overthinking this.

Anyway, since there was no chemistry and you don't want to see the guy again, the point is moot. Let it go and move on!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:50 PM

460 posts, read 673,083 times
After having a family of servers, maybe this is what he was thinking:

Geez it's Friday/Saturday night and all we ordered was a measly $20 worth of food at a decent restaurant. The waitress clearly wasn't happy to have one of her tables wasted on this date for over an hour. I will give her the extra $7 in order to help compensate her for her lost income. Maybe my date will see my generosity for what it is.

Besides that...it's $7. Why should you be entitled to it if you paid your fair share? I always throw in an extra dollar or two just to be kind. I'm not stupid. I do it because I want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships