Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 11:58 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,304,948 times

Advertisements

Have you ever dated someone who after a year (or years) of dating still wanted to "keep things feeling new", by only wanting to hang out on the weekends (or 2-3 times a week). Someone who wants to feel like he/she has a chance to miss you a couple days a week.

I guess I could understand taking things slow and getting to know one another the first few months, but keeping this up after a year or two...?

Does this scream a fear of commitment? How can this possibly translate into a real (see you everyday-move in together) scenario?

Have you ever experienced this? How did the relationship progress?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 12:09 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,656,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Have you ever dated someone who after a year (or years) of dating still wanted to "keep things feeling new", by only wanting to hang out on the weekends (or 2-3 times a week). Someone who wants to feel like he/she has a chance to miss you a couple days a week.

I guess I could understand taking things slow and getting to know one another the first few months, but keeping this up after a year or two...?

Does this scream a fear of commitment? How can this possibly translate into a real (see you everyday-move in together) scenario?

It screams married or in another relationship that takes precedence over yours.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:10 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,393,356 times
Yup, I agree. If you're happy together and deeply in love, why wouldn't you want to see each other every day? Or at least a heckuva lot more frequently than 2 times a week.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:45 PM

607 posts, read 1,217,411 times
No, I've never been in a relationship like that and I don't think I'd want to be. The bf of an acquaintance of mine is a firefighter and b/c of his schedule they live together and still don't get to see each other all that often but it's because of their circumstances, not by choice.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:46 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,154,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post

It sounds like that someone, may have a couple of other "someones" on the side. Usually if you love someone, you want to see them more than not. However, it is good to have time to yourself. I can understand that. I am not all over my gf like a whooped dog. And neither is she! Weekends, we're lucky to do one thing together (usually dinner and a movie), but that hasn't been lately since there has been nothing good to see. However, we live together though. So it's not like we don't know what each other are up to at 2 in the morning.

But people who always want that "unrealistic" feeling of being "in love" all the time, are not being realistic. Those are usually the same people who move from one partner to another, because the minute that type of feeling declines a bit, they think that they are falling out of love. Relationships take a lot of work and patience. Your not always going to be gaga over each other all the time. That's why it's good to shake things up.

What works for my girl and I is that we have other lives. I spend a lot of time with my friends and family. And so does she! There is never a thing "either" one of us can't do without the other. I am a firm believer that this is a healthy way of doing things. I couldn't be with someone who would smother me, and I don't think my girl could either. My whole family is sort of like this. My dad and mom are like this. My mom does what she wants when she wants. Probably where I got this from. She says she loves being married to my father, because he lets her do whatever. She couldn't imagine not being with him. My sister and her husband are like replica's of my mother and father. They are the same way too. I am the exact same way as well. So it must be a family thing. My parents have been married 42 years. My sister is on her second marriage and she's been married 11. her first husband "smothered her"-go figure why he's her ex. I've been with the same girl for 7. It seems to work for all of us.

Sorry so long

Old 05-08-2012, 12:49 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Either they are up to something or incredibly immature.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:50 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,024,007 times
This is a bit of a new one on me.

Yes, sounds like someone who has other people on the side. I cannot imagine a healthy relationship needing to be kept "new" by greatly limiting contact.

Even if not, that does not sound like a promising LTR to me. Without an artificial influence like distance, I am not sure how that relationship would make it for 1 or 2 years to reach this point.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:56 PM

He has extreme anxiety (claustrophobic feeling) when he is with someone everyday. We tried it for a while and it completely deteriorated him mentally and emotionally (we broke up for a couple months afterwards). I dont know what the problem is but he lives alone and has for a while (has never lived with someone outside his parents-back before college). He's super social and outgoing but feels overwhelmed a lot in relationships where there isn't some sort of frequent distance (missing each other).

I definitely know he doesn't have someone on the side because he can barely handle one relationship.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:00 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,024,007 times
That makes it sound like he is in need of professional, psychological help. A normal, socially comfortable person should not turn into a wreck because they see someone they love dearly on a daily basis.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
That makes it sound like he is in need of professional, psychological help. A normal, socially comfortable person should not turn into a wreck because they see someone they love dearly on a daily basis.
He did see a psychologist who put him on anti-anxiety meds, but he ended up resenting me for it, since I suggested he see someone. So he stopped going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships