Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2012, 04:00 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Sorry that we speak uncomfortable truths. We just shoot straight on things based on our life experiences and based on the fact that we've managed to sail through life's treacherous waters largely unscathed. And if you don't like what we say, then ignore us.
Yep, sometimes the truth really is so inconvenient

Look, when I was 20 or 22, I only wish there had been a forum like this and people like you (and me!) to give that young me solid real world advice on how to successfully navigate the treacherous waters of life.

It would have saved me SO MUCH time and trouble to have had access to older, wiser folks like some of those here!

Sadly, too many here don't have the right attitude or frame of mind to get what I'm talking about.

But some of the younger people here do get it, and I'm so happy when I see them well on their way to having the kind of life that will bring them happiness, peace and all their hearts desire.

I talk to young people here like I talk to my own kids (and they are launched off very successfully into the world now ). Not everyone was lucky enough to have the kind of parents you and I are my friend. (I know I wasn't).

So if I've helped just one younger person here who has no reliable parents or mentors to turn to, that makes taking the ridicule from those who don't "get" it no big deal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 04:03 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Peerless, in all seriousness, you just need to man up and tell her how you feel dude. There's nothing else anyone of us can tell you. Just do it.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:10 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Look, when I was 20 or 22, I only wish there had been a forum like this and people like you (and me!) to give that young me solid real world advice on how to successfully navigate the treacherous waters of life.

It would have saved me SO MUCH time and trouble to have had access to older, wiser folks like some of those here!

Sadly, too many here don't have the right attitude or frame of mind to get what I'm talking about.

But some of the younger people here do get it, and I'm so happy when I see them well on their way to having the kind of life that will bring them happiness, peace and all their hearts desire.

I talk to young people here like I talk to my own kids (and they are launched off very successfully into the world now ). Not everyone was lucky enough to have the kind of parents you and I are my friend. (I know I wasn't).

So if I've helped just one younger person here who has no reliable parents or mentors to turn to, that makes taking the ridicule from those who don't "get" it no big deal
No kidding. I mean, looking back, I had my head screwed on pretty well when I was 22, but that didn't keep me from making some mistakes along the way. And despite that, I had some pretty foolhardy notions.

Back to the OP. Guts are your key determinant of lifelong happiness. If you have them, you'll be happy. If you don't, you'll hate yourself. Likewise, if you don't quit being a coward and tell this girl how you feel, you will replay the entire stupid episode over and over in your head until the day you die, wondering if you missed out on the great love of your life. Sorry to be so blunt, but nothing else seems to work with you.

Last edited by cpg35223; 05-03-2012 at 04:24 PM..

Old 05-03-2012, 04:16 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Thanks for attempting to be a mother figure but I already have a good mother and if I needed a second one i have other options. Question her parenting skills all you want for my behavior but she got me to 23 alive and not strung out on drugs or booze and even with a college degree in two weeks. For where I grew up, that is quite an accomplishment.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:21 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Thanks for attempting to be a mother figure but I already have a good mother and if I needed a second one i have other options. Question her parenting skills all you want for my behavior but she got me to 23 alive and not strung out on drugs or booze and even with a college degree in two weeks. For where I grew up, that is quite an accomplishment.
That's nice, but it's also not the point. If you come on here and pose questions, it's pretty much fair game for us to answer them. We're not trying to be mean. We're not trying to belittle people. And it's certainly not personal. Instead, we're just generally providing rather well-reasoned responses and to provide the benefit of what we've done and what we've endured. Sometimes it requires being more direct than other times. And the more misguided a poster's notions are on life and living, the more likely we'll offer up a reply. If you can't handle that, so be it. But I guarantee you that the advice we provide is generally on target.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:29 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I have not questioned your mothers parenting skills (only once asked about your fathers involvement in your life I believe) and I'm happy for you that you are close to her.

I know you are graduating from college soon, which is a great accomplishment. Congrats to you AND your mom!

Old 05-03-2012, 04:36 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
You know the thread is going downhill when members start bickering with each other off-topic.

20 pages and counting. Where's our boy? We need an update.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:47 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Peerless... you are afraid of failure. You going to go through life never taking chances ?

If so you are in for a lot of regrets on the things you'll miss.

Just this week, I asked my Ex wife if she would be interested in putting things back together. She said no but I don't regret asking and at least giving it a chance. It was not an easy thing to ask.

You know what's easy ? Send her an email if you can't look her in the eye. Sometime it's easier to put your thoughts and wishes in writing.

Last edited by Rakin; 05-03-2012 at 05:03 PM..

Old 05-03-2012, 04:58 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Great point, Rakin. As they say, "Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

What if you never say anything to her about how you feel, Peerless, and she just fades away out of your life? You'll be kicking yourself the rest of your life. Thinking about "what might have been". You don't want to be one of those losers, do you? GO FOR IT!

Yeah, email. There's an idea. It didn't work on the phone, try email. NOT texting, a real email. OOOH! Better yet--really romantic: get a nice card, and write what you want to say on the card. You could even go all out and buy a single rose. Or not. Depending on your comfort level. You can't lose, because if you don't do anything at all, then it'll be over when she moves. So you have everything to gain, and nothing to lose.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:02 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Great point, Rakin. As they say, "Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

Yeah, email. There's an idea. It didn't work on the phone, try email. NOT texting, a real email. OOOH! Better yet--really romantic: get a nice card, and write what you want to say on the card. You could even go all out and buy a single rose. Or not. Depending on your comfort level. You can't lose, because if you don't do anything at all, then it'll be over when she moves. So you have everything to gain, and nothing to lose.
I was going to also recommend a Hallmark card. Throw in a rose and that boy might be having sex before the month is out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships