Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 11:02 PM

382 posts, read 758,883 times

Advertisements

Well I've been single all my life. I've had a few relationships of course, but never a long lasting one, fortunately. And I say fortunately because I've come to realise that it's not worth giving up my freedom and my lifestyle for a woman.

I've got my job, my own flat, I can go out whenever I want to, without having to give explanations all the time. I can travel according to my wishes and women are a bit dramatic to me. Too much trouble. I like having things my way and I can lose my temper really easily sometimes, so it would be very hard to keep a relationship with anyone.

I can also bring friends to my home when I want, eat what I want, watch my favourite TV programme without a fight, shaving in front of the living room's mirror if I feel like doing it. Everything in my life is mine and I control it.

I hook up with women sometimes but just for casual sex, a man has its needs after all. But losing my freedom to a life full of arguments, trouble and headaches just to experience a few happy moments? No way...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 05:19 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,689,580 times
I neither like nor dislike it. It just is. If a relationship finds me, it does, and I don't go out really hunting for another one. At some point, someone will show an interest in being with me, and I'll go along with that. Just kinda roll with the flow. I'm certainly not going to approach someone else regarding a relationship.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:47 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,387,501 times
Self dating gets old.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:01 AM

911 posts, read 2,376,781 times
this is the first time i been single for a length of time in 10 years
after i got over my x i am really enjoying single life
i can do what i want, when i want, and talk to whoever i want!
i dont have to buy 2 dinners, 2 drinks, 2 tickets, 2 of anything else or pick anybody up, dont have to call anyone at 9:00 every night
dont have to worry about anyone cheating on me or blowing me off or leaving me
i dont have to explain who anyone is on myspace or F.B.

a couple of things that do suck is there is a lot of movies and "date" activities i would like to do, and i have a wedding to go to in a couple weeks that i dont have a date for. and it is nice to have some one care for you

after what my last couple g/f's put me through im in no rush to find another g/f. i can allways rent a movie and do the date stuff another time

Old 08-04-2009, 06:42 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,689,580 times
If she wants to sit home and be miserable, then you have to sit home and be miserable WITH her...this doesn't happen when you're single.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If she wants to sit home and be miserable, then you have to sit home and be miserable WITH her...this doesn't happen when you're single.
That's right. I'm glad I've never been engaged in a serious relationship. It must get so boring after a while.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:09 AM

78,523 posts, read 60,718,007 times
I like having a SO...it suits my personality and has A LOT of perks. This does NOT mean I like having a SO that causes me unhappiness, excessive drama etc.

If you pick the right gal and have a good fit in personalities then you:
1) Have a great friend to hang out with.
2) Lots of great monogamous sex
3) Someone you can share with and can mutually help each other out.

The marriage thing is a MUCH bigger step...that opens a whole can of worms.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:54 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,125,811 times
Have you noticed when you are single, lots of people, especially as you get older, seems to pressure you into getting into a relationship? Why can't they(usually married folks) not leave the single person alone? Do they think singles are not happy in life if not in a relationship? Or is there another motive?

I'm dealing with that indirectly from my friends and acquaintances, and some of my family. I'm happy for my friends who are in relationships, but at this stage in my life I'm content being single. It doesn't bother me at all because with the goals I have, I don't have time for a relationship. The reason a lot of people tend to hound single folks is they want us to experience the same happiness as they do, which I can't blame them but you don't need to be with someone in order to be happy. True happiness comes from within. Besides, when you're in a relationship you're accountable to your mate whereas if you're single, you're accountable to no one but yourself.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
Have you noticed when you are single, lots of people, especially as you get older, seems to pressure you into getting into a relationship? Why can't they(usually married folks) not leave the single person alone? Do they think singles are not happy in life if not in a relationship? Or is there another motive?

I'm dealing with that indirectly from my friends and acquaintances, and some of my family. I'm happy for my friends who are in relationships, but at this stage in my life I'm content being single. It doesn't bother me at all because with the goals I have, I don't have time for a relationship. The reason a lot of people tend to hound single folks is they want us to experience the same happiness as they do, which I can't blame them but you don't need to be with someone in order to be happy. True happiness comes from within. Besides, when you're in a relationship you're accountable to your mate whereas if you're single, you're accountable to no one but yourself.
I've said it here before but for those married folks...envy is such an ugly thing.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:10 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,585,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Amen. I like some things about relationships and somenthings about being single. I am totally going through this too my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships