Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 09:59 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,160,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
I have one on my profile picture here at this site lol....its all about the context its in. In my case it was a comedy show and giving the finger was one of the themes of the show. If done where you are clearly joking around and having a laugh, I don't see the problem.
My husband hates having his picture taken - so he'll flip me the bird and give me a face sometimes! I've done the same thing - to my mom! My mom and I like to joke around like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 10:20 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
Never in my life have I ever felt the need to flash my middle finger or throw some some stupid gang sign.

Last time I had a friend who liked throwing up gang signs, I was a freshman in high school. And shortly into my freshman year, he was no longer my friend.

What a childish thing to do.
THANK YOU.

This goes double for me. Never once in my life have I ever used that vulgar sign, or even been tempted to. I was taught it was crass and uncouth.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
My husband hates having his picture taken - so he'll flip me the bird and give me a face sometimes! I've done the same thing - to my mom! My mom and I like to joke around like that.
Wouldn't be my cup of tea, but I'm all for families having their own private jokes and ways of teasing.

Flipping the bird is really rude when you do it to strangers or in anger, or both

Old 04-12-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

Frequent use indicates normalcy and isn't classless behavior????
You just can't argue with people who weren't taught any better, so why try?

Old 04-12-2012, 11:17 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,604,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
THANK YOU.

This goes double for me. Never once in my life have I ever used that vulgar sign, or even been tempted to. I was taught it was crass and uncouth.
Ditto. I have a young male cousin (21) who posts Facebook photos with his middle fingers up all the time. He's just trying to be cool but I hope he matures soon and realizes that there's nothing cool about acting like a thug (he's definitely not one) and people WILL judge you for it.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:11 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,850,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Wouldn't be my cup of tea, but I'm all for families having their own private jokes and ways of teasing.

Flipping the bird is really rude when you do it to strangers or in anger, or both
I had occasion to flash the middle finger once in a great while and always as a joke. Thing is, it feels incredibly awkward to do so...I keep thinking I'm somehow doing it 'wrong'. Kind of like if I were trying to give the Vulcan 'live long and prosper sign'!

Old 04-13-2012, 12:46 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,976,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
(1) rebellion, (2) thrill of danger, (3) if he can commit a crime, then he can hunt, too, (4) "rape fantasy" issues, (5) pheromonal, in that they are viewed as more "male" than a "beta provider," and/or (6) low self-esteem.
And because these (physically) "attractive" women are often the same social class as the "gangster" (low). I've been troubled by this as well, and this the best answer I've come up with. It seems like women often appear better than they really are. Their looks can fool us. But if you get to know some of them, you'll see they're uneducated, don't speak very well, are emotionally immature or unstable, etc. etc.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:51 AM

5,323 posts, read 6,099,356 times
I dont see it much outside of ghettos..My guess why some women in these areas are attracted to it is probably money and power..coming from poor areas with people with low income some of these gangsters make a decent amount of money till they end up dead or in jail which attracts women..

Status also..in these areas when you're young you get more respect being a "gangster" then a person working a 9-5

Old 04-13-2012, 01:18 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,620,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I had occasion to flash the middle finger once in a great while and always as a joke. Thing is, it feels incredibly awkward to do so...I keep thinking I'm somehow doing it 'wrong'. Kind of like if I were trying to give the Vulcan 'live long and prosper sign'!
Um... I see nothing wrong with this.

I also sci five on occasion.

Middle finger? NEVER in pictures, but I do like making faces.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:26 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,420,534 times
Default Use a warning label next time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Can you post pictures of what these "Gangster" men look like. Then post example pictures of what the women look like who like those guys.

My guess is that the guys will look like this:

OR THIS:

And the women you call "attractive" look like this:

OR LIKE THIS:

LOL at attractive women being attracted to "gangsters". And extra special LOL at your "gangsters impregnating" them. LMAO.
Don't just throw those up there without letting us know what we're getting into as we scroll further down. And is that a string hanging down from pregnant female's hem, or did her water break and trickle down her thigh? I can't tell. I think I'm going to have Sharpie nightmares after seeing that fabulous eyebrow situation. I think she used the black sharpie to line her lips too...and yet, there are guys who think these ladies are awesome. Every pot finds a lid - ain't love grand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships