Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 10:30 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,959,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
You're still interacting with people. The internet is just another medium.
Ok; in that regard I am only anti social in real life but not online.

However, I would not be able to interact with people the way that I do online. I'm a lot more brutal and vicious online and I don't use it as a way to get to know or be friends with anyone. It would be hard with me to debate or argue with a stranger IN PERSON without getting into a fight. In person interactions are more based on "small talk" and talking about the weather etc. I don't do that.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:12 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,711,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
Why does the pic matter? I'm not interested in meeting someone; I want to be left alone... Why would I send a pic; this is not a dating service. What would you need to see it for? It's not relevant; I'm not interested in whether you think I am attractive or not...

It doesn't matter if we have something in common; I am not interested in getting to know anyone.
I'm just teasing you. Well, maybe...

Old 04-24-2012, 09:31 AM

31,053 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Because I love to argue and debate on the internet. True hermits spend all their time on the internet because it's not "real people"..... There is a huge difference between interacting with people in real life versus online. I'm not here to make friends.
As people many of us feel the need for social interaction. Apparently you need less person to person intereaction than most, and your online interaction helps fill the need? Do you interact with your family much? Do you think your take on this is inate or learned?

Old 04-24-2012, 09:33 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Apparently you need less person to person intereaction than most, and your online interaction helps fill the need?
You see, the online interaction you can shut off any time you want or any time it gets annoying. That's the advantage!

Old 04-24-2012, 10:41 AM

31,053 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You see, the online interaction you can shut off any time you want or any time it gets annoying. That's the advantage!
That is an advantage, and there is the aspect of clarity of thought: Being able to think about something more thoroughly before responding compared to "In person". I enjoy the dialogue online but I love to socialize in person even more: "More data" is better.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:14 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,120,110 times
Quote:
I'm not a hoarder. I'm not close to my family... I am not into family social gatherings or functions. I don't talk to much of my family and no; they don't come over nor do I visit them.
can you explain why you don't visit your family?

Old 04-24-2012, 01:44 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,866 times
Quote:
I don't know if this belongs in relationship or somewhere else. I guess it could go in here because it has to do with interpersonal relationships.

I post a lot on internet forums... I mentioned that I was sort of a hermit and that no one comes over to my house. Two other people mentioned that if they were my neighbor they would think I was involved in illegal activity.

To me that is crazy. Don't you have to KNOW people and SOCIALIZE in order to do something illegal? I wouldn't even know how to buy pot since I have no connections. I never drank alcohol even when younger cause I was never invited anywhere... hence I NEVER dealt with peer pressure when younger. You need peers/friends first. How can I do illegal stuff when I don't know anyone? lol

Is it really that unusual for someone to be a hermit and have no guests/family come over that neighbors will think you are up to no good?

If you must know the truth, I have been a loner even in high school already; I used to hide in the library and eat in there. I have ALWAYS been a loner because that's just how I am.

I spend a lot of my time online on forums.... despite the fact that I am anti-social. Some of the people on the forum that I posted on could not understand the fact why I would post on a relationship forum when I was anti social. Apparently they don't know the distinction between online interaction and real-life interaction. Just because I'm anti social in person doesn't mean I can't enjoy posting in relationship forums!

Anyways, I just was insulted that people said that hermits must be doing something illegal... They also refused to believe that a hermit could be good looking... since many said that good looking people generally attract lots of friends/people and thus it was impossible to be a good looking female hermit...

I am not a TOTAL hermit; I leave the house to go shopping, grocery, exercise... I just mean a hermit in terms of never going out on the weekends and no one coming over...

Is it really THAT unusual for an attractive female to always be home alone and choose to be single/alone and never have people come over? (No one has come over once in over a year) Jeez

I find it insulting. Personally I think it's more suspicious when people have guests over all the time. I think that my neighbors should be happy to have a neighbor who is quiet like a mouse like me.

Is it that shocking to not have any friends that people think you are doing something illegal? I find that insulting and a reflection of how society judges people who are loners..

Wrong with it? That is so cool...

Old 04-24-2012, 01:55 PM

2,765 posts, read 2,792,866 times
Quote:
Ok; in that regard I am only anti social in real life but not online.

However, I would not be able to interact with people the way that I do online. I'm a lot more brutal and vicious online and I don't use it as a way to get to know or be friends with anyone. It would be hard with me to debate or argue with a stranger IN PERSON without getting into a fight. In person interactions are more based on "small talk" and talking about the weather etc. I don't do that.
Do you agree the phrase minimalist personality would be an apt description of you? A streamlined, no-more-than-what's-needed philosophy to social interaction? And that clashes with most other people's concept of social interaction so you avoid them as a result?

Old 04-24-2012, 02:25 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Quote:
I don't know if this belongs in relationship or somewhere else. I guess it could go in here because it has to do with interpersonal relationships.

I post a lot on internet forums... I mentioned that I was sort of a hermit and that no one comes over to my house. Two other people mentioned that if they were my neighbor they would think I was involved in illegal activity.

To me that is crazy. Don't you have to KNOW people and SOCIALIZE in order to do something illegal? I wouldn't even know how to buy pot since I have no connections. I never drank alcohol even when younger cause I was never invited anywhere... hence I NEVER dealt with peer pressure when younger. You need peers/friends first. How can I do illegal stuff when I don't know anyone? lol

Is it really that unusual for someone to be a hermit and have no guests/family come over that neighbors will think you are up to no good?

If you must know the truth, I have been a loner even in high school already; I used to hide in the library and eat in there. I have ALWAYS been a loner because that's just how I am.

I spend a lot of my time online on forums.... despite the fact that I am anti-social. Some of the people on the forum that I posted on could not understand the fact why I would post on a relationship forum when I was anti social. Apparently they don't know the distinction between online interaction and real-life interaction. Just because I'm anti social in person doesn't mean I can't enjoy posting in relationship forums!

Anyways, I just was insulted that people said that hermits must be doing something illegal... They also refused to believe that a hermit could be good looking... since many said that good looking people generally attract lots of friends/people and thus it was impossible to be a good looking female hermit...

I am not a TOTAL hermit; I leave the house to go shopping, grocery, exercise... I just mean a hermit in terms of never going out on the weekends and no one coming over...

Is it really THAT unusual for an attractive female to always be home alone and choose to be single/alone and never have people come over? (No one has come over once in over a year) Jeez

I find it insulting. Personally I think it's more suspicious when people have guests over all the time. I think that my neighbors should be happy to have a neighbor who is quiet like a mouse like me.

Is it that shocking to not have any friends that people think you are doing something illegal? I find that insulting and a reflection of how society judges people who are loners..
I agree. I don't think it's always intentional though, I think some people just don't understand loners, just like I can't understand people who can't be alone. People who are out and about all the time or off visiting friends may not understand how someone can stay inside all the time. That's just it, they don't understand. Also I don't think looks have anything to do with it (although yes there are certainly stereotypes about good-looking and less good-looking people).

Old 04-24-2012, 02:41 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,959,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
can you explain why you don't visit your family?
It's not really relevant to this thread and I don't feel the need to discuss it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships