Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 10:57 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,273,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I DO NOT like doing it.

Two things:
1) I had less of a problem doing it when their interest was "ulterior motive" oriented - more interested in my education, place of employment, or "sperm donor" status than me as a person
2) I have diligently avoided situations where it could lead to having to reject someone*

*Story:
I was briefly involved with a parish group for single people. There was one person, an RN, who was particularly aggressive and who I was not even minimally interested in. One day, I got a phone call from her, asking what I was doing on (insert date). She caught me off guard. It was 3 months down the pike. I told her "I don't know." She said "Good, then you can go to this parish function with me and I'm planning on being on this committee...bla bla bla." She said she'd be sending me my ticket.

I was furious. Not a set-up one expects, while wiping sleep from their eyes. I kept the ticket and about 2 weeks before, I sent it back to her, telling her I had a friend from ATL flying into town with his family and I had no choice but to show them around. Never heard from her again, thankfully. I also stopped associating with that group. There were OTHER experiences like that in the short time I knew them.

You were fresh meat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 11:00 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
You were fresh meat
Like the ladies of the night on dating sites.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:02 PM

744 posts, read 812,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
There have times where I have thought a woman was interested in me and got mad because I didn't ask her out/make a move on her. But then again, some of those times, I did make a move and she turned out to have no interest.

So, let's just say the amount of women I've rejected is uh ... zero.

Which is pretty shocking to me actually. I'm not a catch in the conventional sense but I am a really nice, down to Earth guy who is easy to get along with. I'd think at least one woman would have chased me during all these many years.

Nope.
I've been asked if I'm gay by 2 girls for the same reason,clearly in an insulting way because they were mad, not because they were genuinely curious. One of the times the brother of one of the girls stayed after and asked if I wanted him to suck my dick and vice versa, pretty awkward.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:03 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
This should turn into a poll.

I'm curious to see how many men have actually flat out and completely rejected a woman who has had unmistakeable romantic interest.
I don't know how to add a poll so I'll edit the OP and add this question.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:05 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,375,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
You were fresh meat
Yeah, I think some of the other guys in that group must have been stale meat. Most of the people in that group were pretty dweeby.

Maybe the RN would have been handy. She could have administered intravenous antidepressants to enable one to hang around with them.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 04-25-2012 at 11:16 PM..

Old 04-25-2012, 11:09 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
I've been asked if I'm gay by 2 girls for the same reason,clearly in an insulting way because they were mad, not because they were genuinely curious. One of the times the brother of one of the girls stayed after and asked if I wanted him to suck my dick and vice versa, pretty awkward.
Well. In my case, I think it was just in my head that the women were interested.

I really can't think of any time where a woman was flat out unmistakenly interested in me (without me pursuing her first).

I have been hit on by a few guys though.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:13 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,308,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Oh please. When did you step off the train from obliviousville? No she's not describing the way a chick would handle it. "I"ll call you" is the standard staple for men since the inception of the telephone- women have known it for years.

speak for yourself sherlock, I have choices.

if she's getting dumped it's really simple, have a nice life (bye).

keep things simple.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:27 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,189,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post

speak for yourself sherlock, I have choices.

if she's getting dumped it's really simple, have a nice life (bye).

keep things simple.
I never said you didn't have choices. Simply clarifying something you refuted earlier.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:44 PM

348 posts, read 550,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Let me up the ante here a little. For those who say it's easy, are you up front with her about it? I'm guessing it must be hard for most guys, or the stereotypical "I'll call you", with no follow-up, wouldn't happen as often as it does.
I've done it and I HATE it!!!

A friend once set me up with his SO's friend. I didn't know I was being set up, I thought it was just people going out. Turned out she was really into me. I wasn't attracted to her, but I also had just got out of an intense relationship. Combine all that with the innate pressure of a blind-date/set-up and it was a recipe for disaster. I thought I handled it well when I told my friend I wasn't interested, but everybody seemed to think that I had given her the impression that I was.

If I go out on a date with a girl and it doesn't go well, usually I just end with "thank you, I had a great time". I don't say "I'll call you" unless I'm actually going to call. For the record, sometimes I forget to say "I'll call you" even if I mean to.

Anyway, it's one of the reasons I hate going on blind dates. I don't care if a girl isn't interested in me, but I know that I'm atypical in that sense in that rejection doesn't bother me. The thing is, often I am set up with women I would never date in a million years so on top of the initial awkwardness, there is the potential awkwardness down the road of hurting someone's feelings.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:47 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,937,966 times
No it's never easy, because women don't anticipate and thus fear rejection like men do. But, if given a choice, I'd prefer to convey my rejection thru my body movement as opposed to communicating it orally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships