Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 02:19 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Men who are going to cheat do so regardless if they are married (obviously) and the same goes for women. A meaningless piece of jewelry isn't going to change that.
Well, I get that it's meaningless in your eyes, and I also understand that when you're lying in your coffin, it really won't matter, will it~

But it has great meaning to many who see marriage as a covenant and a sacred bond. There are many people who love the rituals and the symbols.

I am sure there are other things in our lives where we employ symbols of representation. That, in and of itself, creates the meaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 02:22 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Just citing an example of a situation where the rings come off due to a work-related thing. I don't know the details.

If I had one, I would wear it in the shower, to bed, digging in the garden, wherever. For me, it would not matter what the function was.

I also have a friend from Manhattan who told me recently that one of the Fortune 500 companies she worked for preferred to hire married people, so they would always check for a ring in the interview. THAT seemed a bit bizarre and strange to me.
I'm not sure if it's legal to discriminate that way. They seem to be looking for people who will be stable, and with the company a long time. Which implies that singles wouldn't fit that description. It's not legal to include questions about marital status on a job app. So I guess this is how they get around it.

Conclusion: anyone applying for a corporate job, wear a fake wedding ring.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:24 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,302,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Well, I get that it's meaningless in your eyes, and I also understand that when you're lying in your coffin, it really won't matter, will it~

But it has great meaning to many who see marriage as a covenant and a sacred bond. There are many people who love the rituals and the symbols.

I am sure there are other things in our lives where we employ symbols of representation. That, in and of itself, creates the meaning.
And men and women who think the ring has meaning, in the beginning, may eventually cheat. Happens every day. Rings come on and off. It's not like having the name of your SO tattooed on your head. And just because you and your husband respect what the symbol means, doesn't mean others do (will approach a married man/women).

Old 05-04-2012, 02:25 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
I would be interested in seeing the honest reactions of people who were proposed to without a ring, and were then informed they would not be receiving a ring at all in the future.
I was married twice and never had an engagement ring. We bought wedding rings together.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:30 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,365,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
And men and women who think the ring has meaning, in the beginning, may eventually cheat. Happens every day. Rings come on and off. It's not like having the name of your SO tattooed on your head. And just because you and your husband respect what the symbol means, doesn't mean others do (will approach a married man/women).
Naturally. I never negated that point. I was explaining why some find meaning in them is all.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:34 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
I don't wear mine because I've lost weight and it's too big. I'm afraid I'm gonna lose it.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:46 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,016,050 times
I feel compelled to jump in here:

My husband and I bought these little engraved silver rings at an Irish Festival a long time ago. We wore them when we married. A few years later, while he was working, he lost his ring. He didn't even notice it until he was home that night and he was just sick about it. We never replaced it.

I wore my ring for some time but it kept flying off my finger as my weight fluctuated...I was so nervous about losing it that it went into my jewelry box and hasn't come out for years. Mind you, we didn't spend very much but of course, they meant a lot to us.

However, over the years, I simply don't think about it. I now have to wonder if I didn't get a corporate job two years ago b/c they made some assumption based on no ring!

Anyway, I get why some women want a ring when they marry. If the wedding ceremony means anything to you, then the symbols also mean something: love, committment, sharing life together...it's pretty awesome. I have felt that way my whole life, but weirdly, I don't have to wear it to feel that connection.

It was going to be "one day" when we purchased really nice bands or diamonds or what have you, but as another poster said, you always seem to spend the money elsewhere - more important or more interesting things. It's not so much a choice as...not remembering to make it an issue.

I will say this though...I notice that women with really beautiful BIG rings tend to focus on status a little more...I don't mean that they are shallow by any means, but rather, it's simply important to show that they're married to a "winner", if you will. This is only MY experience...I'm sure it's not true in every case (it couldn't be) but of the women I know, it's a great source of pride.

Maybe that irritates me a little, so I go the other way...hmmm....

Old 05-04-2012, 06:37 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Well, good for you!! I am so glad you've never been cheated on you. You must be doing something so much better than me! Because it is important to me. So what? Any reasons I give you'll just dispute anyway. Some people feel it's important to wear wedding rings. Other don't. I prefer my husband to wear one. I realize wedding bands don't prevent cheating or flirting. Maybe I'm just traditional like that.
I wish you luck in your future relationships. The types of work that I do give me the chance to meet and observe many people. And I find that if you are the first to be suspicious of someone's purity of love, that is what plants the seeds of potential trouble. And that is true of parenting and other relationships. So I prefer to see the best in the people close to me.

And if I do get any warning vibes, then I back away from them. So my recommendation to you is that if you are crushing on a man who you feel you would need to keep him in line by wearing his wedding band 24/7... then run far away from him.

Again, a man wearing a wedding band is not a guarantee against cheating behaviour.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:01 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
Yeah I'm with the group of people who would always wear my wedding band and want my spouse to always wear his too.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:16 PM

426 posts, read 558,982 times
I wash my hands alot at work, lift weights, and play alot of golf so i dont wear my ring every day- my wife on the other hand loves jewelry and iam glad she loves wearing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships