Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 08:07 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times

Advertisements

Are these people not proud to be married?

And when I say "ever" I mean never.

I am curious about the mentality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 08:14 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Are you talking about men or both men and women? I find that most women always wear their wedding rings, and even once married, their engagement rings. I think that a lot depends on what kind of work they do and their daily activities. So if a man is working with his hands doing blue collar type of work, then of course he shouldn't be wearing his wedding band because it might get caught in machinery or get scuffed up badly. And with women, again if she has an office job, her rings will not get in the way or be damaged, but if she is doing work with her hands, like in a factory or making food, then it's not a good idea to wear rings or fine jewelry.

Once while at a new job, I was wearing a favorite gold ring which happened to fit best on my ring finger, and one of my male co-workers thought I was married. I thought that it was interesting that he cared to look and think about my marital status.

I think that if a married person is acting married and not trying to flirt with other people, then who cares whether or not they are wearing their wedding bands?

Old 05-04-2012, 08:17 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,302,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Are you talking about men or both men and women? I find that most women always wear their wedding rings, and even once married, their engagement rings. I think that a lot depends on what kind of work they do and their daily activities. So if a man is working with his hands doing blue collar type of work, then of course he shouldn't be wearing his wedding band because it might get caught in machinery or get scuffed up badly. And with women, again if she has an office job, her rings will not get in the way or be damaged, but if she is doing work with her hands, like in a factory or making food, then it's not a good idea to wear rings or fine jewelry.
This is true. My mother is an RN and I rarely see her wear her ring. My father has never worn his as far back as I can remember. They have been married for 35 years so I don' think its a reflection of their relationship.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:22 AM

When people don't ever wear it because they take it off for work then it sounds like just laziness is the reason why they never put it back on, but for people don't have a work-related reason, I'm even more baffled. I wouldn't say a couple like that has a bad relationship but it seems apathetic.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:27 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,302,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
When people don't ever wear it because they take it off for work then it sounds like just laziness is the reason why they never put it back on, but for people don't have a work-related reason, I'm even more baffled. I wouldn't say a couple like that has a bad relationship but it seems apathetic.
My mother has a 3 carat diamond ring. I don't blame her for taking it off while helping old/obese heart replacement patients go to the bathroom, shower, remove and insert IV and colostomy bags etc.

And I'm pretty sure working night shifts no one notices there, or while she is sleeping during the day 9-4.

I see her wear it every weekend when she is not working. It's not like shes going out to bars and taking it off. She woerks 5 12 hour night shift a week.

Likewise (not that I am ever going to accept an engagement ring) I would never wear an expensive piece of jewelry out to the barn to ride my horse. Just doesn't makes sense. The probability of something happening to a piece of jewelry while I'm riding, tacking up, bathing etc is too high.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:29 AM

331 posts, read 603,517 times
People have different reasons for doing a whole lot of things that other people don't always understand. A wedding ring is really just a symbol of their commitment/marriage. I don't think it has any reflection on their relationship nor commitment. Unless they are ACTING in a way that is doggish, then there is a commitment issue, but some act like that even when they are wearing their rings....baffles me with these acts as well.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:30 AM

460 posts, read 672,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Are these people not proud to be married?

And when I say "ever" I mean never.

I am curious about the mentality.
I know a man who refuses to wear it because he hates the feeling. He says he can never get used to it. My husband works with him closely and is 99% sure that he's not the cheating type at all. So I believe him. My husband never takes his off and I only take them off at bedtime (diamond snags on the sheets and annoys me).

Old 05-04-2012, 08:33 AM

50,309 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Why do you need a symbol? Either there is trust or there isn't. I rarely wear mine cause it's
A too small
B so I won't trash it
C I forget

I wear it when we go out that's about it. My wife has something like 5 big ol diamonds and she wears them all the time. It's just a symbol and if she didn't wear them I wouldn't care as I trust her.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:35 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,073,381 times
I don't wear mine all the time. In fact, I go without it more than I go with it. If I'm putting effort into myself that day and I know I'm not doing something active I'll wear them.

They are a little big so they spin and slide on my finger so sometimes it's just not worth the risk of losing them.

I won't wear them to the gym because the bars will damage and scratch them. I don't wear them when I'm in water (beach, pool..etc) because I'm afraid they'll fall off..ect.

I've been thinking of getting a cheap band that fits in the meantime but I just haven't. My husband wears his all the time, except when he plays hockey.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post

I see her wear it every weekend when she is not working. It's not like shes going out to bars and taking it off. She woerks 5 12 hour night shift a week.
yeah but she puts it back on outside of work. What about your father?

I'm actually starting to think it's a big reflection of a marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships