Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 10:16 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
Sports?? I actually like sports, so it isn't weird for me to discuss them with guys. Guys don't mind hearing about your day if you did something worth talking about.
No, it's not weird for you to discuss sports with men but it would be very strange if I tried it. I am so over the days of trying to make myself into something I'm not to get a man who will not be suited to me b/c we don't have anything in common.

And Katie, all I have to say is that if you schlepped around the house all day in sweat pants and watched a couple of soaps, no man will want to hear about your day--find something to do unless you're looking for a man who also likes to schlep around the house all day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 10:31 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
No, it's not weird for you to discuss sports with men but it would be very strange if I tried it. I am so over the days of trying to make myself into something I'm not to get a man who will not be suited to me b/c we don't have anything in common.

And Katie, all I have to say is that if you schlepped around the house all day in sweat pants and watched a couple of soaps, no man will want to hear about your day--find something to do unless you're looking for a man who also likes to schlep around the house all day.

Agreed, it's awesome if a girl knows sports... but I treat a girl that knows sports just like a guy in the sense that if she tries to talk sports and doesnt actually know what she's talking about I'll dismiss what she says.

I however would never ever date a girl who can't appreciate sports and who doesn't like going to games and watching them or following them.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:20 AM

6,658 posts, read 4,748,387 times
As long as you don't talk about Twilight and Justin Bieber's music, you will be fine.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:46 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,353,710 times
Also, not all men like sports. I have little interest in sports. I like discussing politics, anime, sci-fi, and fantasy, science, and videogames, and so does my one female friend. I have more in common with her than most of my male friends. Also, I've never met a male over the age of 12 who enjoys Justin Bieber, Twilight, or chiefly romance centered films. Romantic comedies are okay...but I think we fear that lurking romance aspect of such films and avoid seeking them out...though we will not be so opposed to them as we are of pure romances. I've seen some wonderful romantic comedies...but through them the lingering terror of potential cheesy romance scenes romains. I loved the book "Clan of the Cave Bear," by Jean M. Aul. It's about a little girl Homo sapien who lives with and grows up with Neanderthals. I also thoroughly enjoyed the second book, "The Valley of Horses," where she leaves the clan of Neanderthals to seek her own kind. She lives alone for most of this book, learning to make tools and survive. In the next book she lives with other Homo sapiens. It was okay...lots of interesting science...but I will not be reading the next three novels because the romance scenes are not quarantined to specific chapters enough in the third book, "The Mammoth Hunters." In the second book, "The Valley of Horses," she eventually meets a Homo sapien male and there are romance scenes, but they were largely quarantined to specific chapters and could be easily skipped. I probably skipped a solid hundred pages. In the third book...the romance scenes were more scattered throughout...like a more devestating variety of literary cancer My grandmother is gobbling up the books though

Old 06-01-2012, 11:45 AM

3 posts, read 3,361 times
Emotionally sensitive men ( yes they EXIST) appreciate it when you listen to them. Let him complain about his rough day at work and all his family issues. Eventually he will begin to ask your opinion, which means he respects you. Men love loyalty and support. Sex is only an issue if you don't stand your ground. He can only go as far as you allow him to. I'm speaking from experience, especially with older men.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:31 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Well... I can tell you that talking about cars, engines, racing, airplanes, being a pilot or mechanics in general doesn't work. Apparently neither does talking about Star Wars, Star Trek, engineering, science or how awesome Tesla is. I also follow baseball (my brother is a semi pro player, so I'm talking MLB and local) and I go to at least a few Angels and Giants games every season as well as a few of our local semi pro teams games. In addition, I try to hit a few concerts a month and play a few instruments.

So far, this has done nothing but gain me a bunch of male friends who I can go out and drink cheap beer at dive bars with, but no romantic interest

But hey, my guy friends are amazing so I guess it's okay

So my advice to the OP is to get out and try to develop some hobbies! People (male or female) aren't generally interested in people who do nothing!

Old 06-02-2012, 11:20 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,954,478 times
I hang out with guys and we talk about whatever comes to mind. Last night for example our conversations ran the gamut of: cars, coworkers, tv, tools, roommates, paddling, working out, hiking, food, work, women, men, sex (due to an innocuous comment about Vaseline -don't ask), and back to car radiators. Lol

The conversation just flows naturally and yes, there are periods of silence but it's a comfortable silence. There is a lot of joking and because I am not one whose knickers get wadded up easily, the conversation sometimes gets raunchy. No big deal!

Just relax and laugh. People enjoy talking to people who are laid back...not uptight. No one likes an oxygen thief.

Last edited by Pikake; 06-02-2012 at 11:33 AM..

Old 06-02-2012, 11:21 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,014,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Well... I can tell you that talking about cars, engines, racing, airplanes, being a pilot or mechanics in general doesn't work. Apparently neither does talking about Star Wars, Star Trek, engineering, science or how awesome Tesla is. I also follow baseball (my brother is a semi pro player, so I'm talking MLB and local) and I go to at least a few Angels and Giants games every season as well as a few of our local semi pro teams games. In addition, I try to hit a few concerts a month and play a few instruments.

So far, this has done nothing but gain me a bunch of male friends who I can go out and drink cheap beer at dive bars with, but no romantic interest

But hey, my guy friends are amazing so I guess it's okay

So my advice to the OP is to get out and try to develop some hobbies! People (male or female) aren't generally interested in people who do nothing!

Engines -- check, because I DON'T know them but have some interest.
Being a pilot -- check, because I think that is UBER cool.
Cars -- eeeeeh
Racing -- eeeeh
Airplanes -- check, can't be a pilot without one unless you're driving a riverboat.

Star Wars -- okay, has its points
Start Trek -- is a fun adventure and would simply beam a photon torpedo onto the bridge of any Star Wars vessel, who was firing at the Trek vessel with... lasers? Srsly?
Engineering -- depends on what kind
Science -- again, what kind, but science as a whole ROCKS
Tesla -- Electricity, radio and magnetics? Or Five Man Accoustical Jam?

Not a fan of baseball (or team sports in general) but love a good martial arts tournament.

Just saying... it varys.

(for the record, ain't skeered of tall women, neither)

Old 06-02-2012, 11:30 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,508,595 times
Are you from the country? Have you been to a city?

Old 06-03-2012, 10:30 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,135,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieCountrycm View Post
As most of you know, I'm extremely shy, have little interests and hobbies and prefer staying home than going out.
I'd love to have a good friendship with a man, if not a relationship. What it is that guys like hearing women talk about?
Besides my dad and bro whom I'm not close to, I only have 1 guy who I consider a very good friend. Usually, I tell him jokes or funny videos I find on the Internet and about my day. Do men like hearing what goes on in a woman's day?
The ONLY way a guy would like to hear about your day is if he is IN LOVE with you. Or thinks you're hot and then it doesn't matter what you're talking about. He won't listen. But he'll hang around just cause you're hot.

But generally speaking, no, guys do not like to hear about a woman's day. They may tolerate that because they're trying to be nice. But they don't LIKE that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships