Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 01:05 PM

161 posts, read 394,911 times

Advertisements

So one of my friends had a situation where she met a guy, and I think he liked her (at least lukewarm interest), but for whatever reason he just disappeared after the first few dates. She has been overanalyzing the situation and thinking that maybe she came on too strong and it scared him so he's ignoring her now, even after he told her they'd talk soon (it's been 3 weeks).

Based on what I know, I don't think she overdid anything--did the basic thank you follow up notes, and they were only talking once a week. I think since it was her first time dating too she wasn't sure what to expect from his end (how often he'd call, how to tell if he's interested, etc) because every person's standards are different. Basically, she wasn't into that "playing games" sorta thing, but I don't think (based on what she told me) she was overly aggressive either.

That got me wondering-in those situations do guys ever come around (if they like someone a lot, but just want some space) or do they just write that girl off their list as a crazy/clingy person despite any initial potential they saw? Can they ever be friends again? Guys perspectives especially appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 01:16 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddoor54 View Post
So one of my friends had a situation where she met a guy, and I think he liked her (at least lukewarm interest), but for whatever reason he just disappeared after the first few dates. She has been overanalyzing the situation and thinking that maybe she came on too strong and it scared him so he's ignoring her now, even after he told her they'd talk soon (it's been 3 weeks).

Based on what I know, I don't think she overdid anything--did the basic thank you follow up notes, and they were only talking once a week. I think since it was her first time dating too she wasn't sure what to expect from his end (how often he'd call, how to tell if he's interested, etc) because every person's standards are different. Basically, she wasn't into that "playing games" sorta thing, but I don't think (based on what she told me) she was overly aggressive either.

That got me wondering-in those situations do guys ever come around (if they like someone a lot, but just want some space) or do they just write that girl off their list as a crazy/clingy person despite any initial potential they saw? Can they ever be friends again? Guys perspectives especially appreciated.

thank you follow up notes? really?

20yrsinBranson

Old 06-26-2012, 01:28 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,985,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
Yes. Why did she do this?

If you don't think this is weird, what else did she do?

Old 06-26-2012, 01:29 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
Seems like more a thing you do for after a job interview not dating.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:41 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,276,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddoor54 View Post
Based on what I know, I don't think she overdid anything--did the basic thank you follow up notes, and they were only talking once a week
All she did was thank him after he took her out on dates, sounds typical to me. Don't see what can be too aggressive about that.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:42 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,831,790 times
Did she give him the milk for free? If so, he may have gotten every bit out of it that he wanted.

From a guys perspective, I get scared away very quickly if a girl comes on too strong. There is a chance to remain friends, but usually it doesn't work. The kind of girls that come on too strong appear desperate. Guys don't like desperate.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:45 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,276,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Did she give him the milk for free? If so, he may have gotten every bit out of it that he wanted.
It wasn't for free. The guy has been taking her out, or so it seems.

Quote:
The kind of girls that come on too strong appear desperate. Guys don't like desperate.
If a guy likes the girl and vice versa, her/him doing his part won't look as desperate. If someone does not like the other person then seeing them try will be seen as desperate.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:56 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,831,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
It wasn't for free. The guy has been taking her out, or so it seems.

If a guy likes the girl and vice versa, her/him doing his part won't look as desperate. If someone does not like the other person then seeing them try will be seen as desperate.
LOL. Taking somebody out to dinner does not qualify as paying for the milk, unless she is a prostitute. I am talking about commitment and/or some sort of future expectations being set. Not just dinner and a hook-up.

I was referring to somebody coming on too strong. It is different from person to person what "too strong" is. Desperate is how one appears (regardless of truth) IF they come on too strong. Your point is arguing something totally different. What one sees as desperate.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:10 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,231,782 times
Hard to say without knowing EXACTLY what she said. If she sent him a simple, "Hi, had a great time. Thanks again." then that's not coming off strong at all.

I had a guy friend who dated a girl a few times and she started talking marriage, wanting 2.6 kids, house with picket fence, yadda yadda...now maybe THAT was a little aggressive lol

Old 06-26-2012, 02:16 PM

161 posts, read 394,911 times
Well when I said thank you notes they were like thanks emails/texts for taking her out, had a good time, lets do something again, etc - isn't that a norm after a date? That's not overdoing it, I don't think.

I don't think she should wait around for him to call, cause it looks like he won't. I think him ending on "we'll talk soon" but pretty much ignoring her is a bit immature and rude though, especially if he has no intention of seeing her again (he could just say nice meeting you but it isn't gonna work out)...but only time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships