Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 02:03 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times

Advertisements

a better sense of their own worth. dont spend their forties trying to get back what they gave away in their teens as do americans. a 16 year old french girl has the maturity of a 30 year old american woman. they know what they are worth down to the centime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 02:04 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
The United States is the only "civilized" country in the world where you still have such outdated, archaic, religion based 18th Century "family values" Most European countries don't give a crap about religion because they realized it is all BS about 50 years ago.
There's nothing "outdated" and "archaic" about being and staying committed. Truth is, we are more religious and it's almost always been that way. Gallup poll showed that Mississippi and Alabama are just as religious as certain parts of Africa and the Mideast are.

Majority of the population in Europe still do and get married though, but it's a lower majority than compared to us. The majority of Europeans are also religious but not in the same sense that we are or as much of a majority.

France is anywhere from 58%-64% Christian but church attendance and importance of religion is low. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_France

Old 07-06-2012, 02:09 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
There's nothing "outdated" and "archaic" about being and staying committed. Truth is, we are more religious and it's almost always been that way. Gallup poll showed that Mississippi and Alabama are just as religious as certain parts of Africa and the Mideast are.

Majority of the population in Europe still do and get married though, but it's a lower majority than compared to us. The majority of Europeans are also religious but not in the same sense that we are or as much of a majority.

There is if you live in 2012.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:22 PM

370 posts, read 654,537 times
One thing I learned from living in Europe was they don't rush in to marriage and they have long stable relationships. I mean I constantly meet these 20 something girls that want a ring already to their boyfriends after only 2 or 3 years of relationship!
A lot of couples are taken seriously unless they are married here in the U.S.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:44 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,947 times
Even though I'm married, I actually prefer cohabitation. Now before everyone yells "HYPOCRITE!" and tries to set me on fire my husband and I married for health insurance purposes since I got pregnant with our child and he had health insurance at the time and I did not. We didn't do a wedding or some big to do, it was just a trip to the JP. I know, it's not romantic and fairy tale like but that does not mean I love him any less and he loves me any less. If I had health insurance at the time we probably would not have gotten married and cohabitated to our heart's content.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:03 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,308,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
Even though I'm married, I actually prefer cohabitation. Now before everyone yells "HYPOCRITE!" and tries to set me on fire my husband and I married for health insurance purposes since I got pregnant with our child and he had health insurance at the time and I did not. We didn't do a wedding or some big to do, it was just a trip to the JP. I know, it's not romantic and fairy tale like but that does not mean I love him any less and he loves me any less. If I had health insurance at the time we probably would not have gotten married and cohabitated to our heart's content.
Not hypocritical at all, quite smart in fact. Marriage isn't meant to be romantic, its a business dealing.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
Not hypocritical at all, quite smart in fact. Marriage isn't meant to be romantic, its a business dealing.
I agree. The older I get the more I feel marrying for love alone is foolish. *Throws on flame suit*

Old 07-06-2012, 03:10 PM

370 posts, read 654,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
I agree with you. There are many benefits to being married which is the reason why after 20 something years of being in stable relationships (I am on my 2nd long term relationship) I finally will wed...no wedding though. I just want some of those benefits I think I deserve lol.
Which is why I totally get why gay people are fighting for marriage.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloimage View Post
I agree with you. There are many benefits to being married which is the reason why after 20 something years of being in stable relationships (I am on my 2nd long term relationship) I finally will wed...no wedding though. I just want some of those benefits I think I deserve lol.
Which is why I totally get why gay people are fighting for marriage.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:23 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
This must be the follow up to "why french women don't get fat" or whatever , I read awhile ago. Who cares what French women are doing? They're always electing themselves to tell other women "how they should be or what they're doing wrong," based on what authority, I don't know.
No, they don't elect themselves to tell anyone anything. It's Americans who see a good marketing opportunity who spread this myth that French women don't get fat. They don't get fat because they diet a lot. One of the first idiomatic phrases I ever learned in French class was "to go on a diet".

The couple of French women I know didn't have happy love lives. They both divorced. One remarried two more times. They were wonderful people, maybe just didn't have luck in the choosing-men dept., idk.

American women have plenty of joy in their love lives. Those aren't the women a lot of guys on C-D are choosing for themselves, judging by posts.

More stereotypes biting the dust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships