Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 10:20 AM

7 posts, read 8,810 times

Advertisements

1. I can take care of myself and my daughter
2. Therefore entering into a serious relationship and pooling resources with another person has very little significance because
3. Their emotional baggage and issues do not in any way enrich our lives.
4. Also, there is no guarantee of committment. A man can be there one day and then leave. He will leave after you've had HIS children and taken care of the family while sacrificing your career (because you have to leave work to tend to sick children).

Yes and I am a single mother who's been part of the dating pool for the last 10 years since the split and I've found that men are just utterly useless. I'm wondering if other women feel the same?

I can't for the life of me find a partner who truly believes in equality in a relationship (which doesn't mean that I cook, clean and take care of you and your children while maintaining a full-time job). After my last serious relationship I've taken a year off of dating to find myself and wants. It's lonely, but peaceful. I know my expectations aren't ridiculous and I know that I bring a lot to the table, but I'm under appreciated.

In my last relationship, I told my partner that I want to be a stay at home wife which we could afford making over 6 figures and having very little debt and expenses. He told me that I wouldn't be bringing much to the table if I did that. I disagreed and said, "If we are having children, I want to stay home." Then he said I should look in the mirror because "I'm pretty, but not drop dead gorgeous and need to bring more to the table and that if I wanted to be a stay at home mom that I should find someone who works at Walmart and isn't that bright and is willing to be my slave. Needless to say, I broke off the relationship.

I've just been so bitter lately and angry about the whole thing. I welcome you're comments especially if you can find a logical counter argument for the risk associated with a woman taking on a serious relationship. Back to work I go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 10:26 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by torazeal View Post
1. I can take care of myself and my daughter
2. Therefore entering into a serious relationship and pooling resources with another person has very little significance because
3. Their emotional baggage and issues do not in any way enrich our lives.
4. Also, there is no guarantee of committment. A man can be there one day and then leave. He will leave after you've had HIS children and taken care of the family while sacrificing your career (because you have to leave work to tend to sick children).

Yes and I am a single mother who's been part of the dating pool for the last 10 years since the split and I've found that men are just utterly useless. I'm wondering if other women feel the same? I can't for the life of me find a partner who truly believes in equality in a relationship (which doesn't mean that I cook, clean and take care of you and your children while maintaining a full-time job). After my last serious relationship I've taken a year off of dating to find myself and wants. It's lonely, but peaceful. I know my expectations aren't ridiculous and I know that I bring a lot to the table, but I'm under appreciated. In my last relationship, I told my partner that I want to be a stay at home wife which we could afford making over 6 figures and having very little debt and expenses. He told me that I wouldn't be bringing much to the table if I did that. I disagreed and said, "If we are having children, I want to stay home." Then he said I should look in the mirror because "I'm pretty, but not drop dead gorgeous and need to bring more to the table and that if I wanted to be a stay at home mom that I should find someone who works at Walmart and isn't that bright and is willing to be my slave. Needless to say, I broke off the relationship.

I've just been so bitter lately and angry about the whole thing. I welcome you're comments especially if you can find a logical counter argument for the risk associated with a woman taking on a serious relationship. Back to work I go.

lol!!! This has to be a joke! You sound ridiculous

You want to be a stay at home mom, yet dont want to cook and clean? So what do you bring to the table besides a child that's not his? rofl

You're just one bitter box of baggage

Old 07-10-2012, 10:35 AM

I cook, clean, and take care of my daughter. My point is why should I add another person to my life when it doesn't make it better in any way?...DUH! I have my own income. I don't need someone elses. I have my own home. So what can a man bring to the table aside from his male parts and arrogance? We all know a man isn't going to clean after a "hard day at work". We all know he's not going to cook and expects the woman to do so. Can you give me a reason why a woman should get into a relationship if she's going to continue to cook, clean, work and take care of the children herself? All of which she can do on her own without someone else or their baggage.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:38 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,942,753 times
Quote:
I cook, clean, and take care of my daughter. My point is why should I add another person to my life when it doesn't make it better in any way...DUH!
Then don't. Judging by the way you talk you're doing us guys a favor by staying single.

Oh, and most guys DO clean.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:39 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
lol!!! This has to be a joke! You sound ridiculous

You want to be a stay at home mom, yet dont want to cook and clean? So what do you bring to the table besides a child that's not his? rofl

You're just one bitter box of baggage
No, she says she doesn't want to cook and clean AND maintain a full-time job. Which I understand.

My father let my mother hold down a full-time job and never lifted a finger around the house. Wouldn't pick up his own dirty clothes from the floor, even.

Of course, it was less sexism than the fact that he really doesn't care about cleanliness or domesticity in any shape or form. But my mother was a very unpleasant person because of the burdens he left to her. She's much happier since she divested herself of my father, and I actually like spending time with her as an adult.

I don't get the SAHM impulse, but honestly? I'd cheerfully be the breadwinner if I could afford it, while my theoretical husband stayed home to take care of domestic matters, even if there were no kids. I hate housework, and it would be really nice to have someone taking care of the chaos I normally just ignore.

When I was living with the ex-biker, my friends used to tease me about how I'd come home to him having put a hemi in the vacuum cleaner if he was my househusband. I could actually see that happening

Old 07-10-2012, 10:45 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,618,824 times
Quote:
I cook, clean, and take care of my daughter. My point is why should I add another person to my life when it doesn't make it better in any way...DUH! I have my own income. I don't need someone elses. I have my own home. So what can a man bring to the table aside from his male parts and arrogance? We all know a man isn't going to clean after a "hard day at work".
I agree that you're better off alone if you can't find someone who will be a positive addition to your life. I know women who are with men simply because they can't really make it on their own, so it's good that you are independent and responsible enough to take care of yourself and your child and you don't feel the need to just take any man like some women do.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:53 AM

I'm trying to stay strong with my decision because I really don't want to make the same foolish mistakes again by settling. It's lonely. I miss having someone come home who's an adult and tell me about their day. I miss making someone else smile and take care of them, but I know that alot of men now are neglectful and selfish. I do not want to continue to deal with that.

I've dated the totally career driven A-type male that has no time for you because of work. I've dated the ridiculous internet/game obssessed male who has no time. I've dated the womanizer, the cheap miser, and the everything is 50/50 even though I make 3 times your income male. I've dated the bipolar, can't decide what I want guy. I keep thinking that there is some magic number where a man becomes perfect and I haven't found it yet.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:57 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,268,149 times
Just because you have a guy in your life doesn't mean you have to live together. The only thing a partner can truly add to your life is companionship for an undetermined amount of time. If you've got your own home and income then I wouldn't want the additional burden of cleaning up after someone else either -- especially if I already had a daughter to take care of.

Also, any guy who would tell you to "look in a mirror" and then tell you that crap -- even in a heated argument -- is pretty cruel. You were right to break up with that jerk.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:03 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,608,108 times
Well, with the attitude that all men are utterly useless, you certainly arent going to meet a quality guy. It sounds to me, like you need a few fun dates rather than a serious relationship. That bitterness will ease up some. Sorry youve had some bad experiences, but we usually end up with people we deserve. Instead of generalizing entire gender, I would spend that energy on figuring out why you attract the men that you do. good luck

Old 07-10-2012, 11:44 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Yes and I am a single mother who's been part of the dating pool for the last 10 years since the split and I've found that men are just utterly useless. I'm wondering if other women feel the same?
Maybe not utterly useless, but the cons definitely outweigh the pros. I cant seem to find an equilibrium. It seem the ones I’ve been involved with after awhile expect everything of me and feel I should accept any behavior on their part if they do or provide the slightest anything. I try not to become bitter, but I also feel Im better off alone that dealing with the expectations and attitudes Ive seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships