Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2012, 02:22 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,673,787 times

Advertisements

I see so much talk about alpha males around here. I've never been able to get a good definition of what that means. So, I'm hoping some alphas frequent this board so I can ask them a couple questions...just out of curiosity.

First of all, I'm beta. No shame in that. Some of us have to betas, after all. We give the chance to alphas to be alphas in the first place.

So, here are some questions for you.

1) Do you consider yourself alpha?
2) How do you justify it?
3) How many other alphas exist, to your knowledge?
4) How do you spot other alpha males?
5) What happens when you meet another alpha? What is that dynamic like?
6) When did you become alpha? What led to it, in other words?
7) Does being alpha help you in your life, outside of relationships?
8) Are you ever not alpha? Or is it something you always are?
9) How do you manipulate and control your social group?

Also, for the women.

1) How many men are actually alpha?
2) What makes a man alpha?
3) Can you spot one when you see one?
4) Is there a similar hierarchy amongst females?
5) What are the duties of an alpha male, in your mind?
6) What are the duties of an alpha female (if they exist)?

You don't have to answer the last question.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:23 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,303,568 times
I'm an alpha female. I dont know what my duties are I just know I am one.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:29 PM

3,925 posts, read 6,840,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
I see so much talk about alpha males around here. I've never been able to get a good definition of what that means. So, I'm hoping some alphas frequent this board so I can ask them a couple questions...just out of curiosity.

First of all, I'm beta. No shame in that. Some of us have to betas, after all. We give the chance to alphas to be alphas in the first place.

So, here are some questions for you.

1) Do you consider yourself alpha?
2) How do you justify it?
3) How many other alphas exist, to your knowledge?
4) How do you spot other alpha males?
5) What happens when you meet another alpha? What is that dynamic like?
6) When did you become alpha? What led to it, in other words?
7) Does being alpha help you in your life, outside of relationships?
8) Are you ever not alpha? Or is it something you always are?
9) How do you manipulate and control your social group?

Also, for the women.

1) How many men are actually alpha?
2) What makes a man alpha?
3) Can you spot one when you see one?
4) Is there a similar hierarchy amongst females?
5) What are the duties of an alpha male, in your mind?
6) What are the duties of an alpha female (if they exist)?

You don't have to answer the last question.
The bolded tells me I dont think you know what an Alpha is, nor do I think you know what a Beta is. May want to re-read on what it means to be either.

An Alpha is somebody who strieves to perfection. Not just in work/life, but in healthy body mind and spirit. Alphas are leaders, but they also know when to let others lead. The Alpha male is somebody who is caring and kind, not somebody who is always trying to "out-do" the other males. The Alpha can demand dominance because people respect him.

Betas on the other hand are those who attempt to replicate the Alpha via force and control. A Beta does his best at being Alpha but usually it just means he uses strength, manipulation, and force to control others.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:31 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,942,817 times
Alphas do what they want, to heck with the consequences.

Betas tend to be more hemmed in and don't want to go outside the comfort zone.

Risk/reward...alphas can achieve higher heights but also lower lows.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:31 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,303,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post

Betas tend to be more hemmed in and don't want to go outside the comfort zone.

Risk/reward...alphas can achieve higher heights but also lower lows.
^^Agreed!

Old 07-20-2012, 02:41 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,147,014 times
Definitely not an alpha male here, or even a beta male. Even calling myself a gamma male would be a huge stretch. Omega male is probably closer. Maybe sigma on a good day.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:46 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,673,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
The bolded tells me I dont think you know what an Alpha is, nor do I think you know what a Beta is.
No, I know. That's why I'm asking questions.
Somehow, though, I doubt that "books" or "reading" are/is going to help me out with this. I'd rather go to the source...the alphas themselves. Seems more efficient.

Quote:
An Alpha is somebody who strieves to perfection. Not just in work/life, but in healthy body mind and spirit. Alphas are leaders, but they also know when to let others lead. The Alpha male is somebody who is caring and kind, not somebody who is always trying to "out-do" the other males. The Alpha can demand dominance because people respect him.
I like this definition. I wonder if anyone can confirm it?

Quote:
Betas on the other hand are those who attempt to replicate the Alpha via force and control. A Beta does his best at being Alpha but usually it just means he uses strength, manipulation, and force to control others.
I don't like this definition. Since I am beta (as I've been told many times, by many people, including my gf (what's up with that?))...I assume I can speak with some authority on this subject..

My tendency is to not really know what is going on. As such, things are happening, people are doing things, and I'm just in the background not paying attention, or not knowing what to pay attention to. While everyone is busy doing whatever it is they are doing, I'm just busy doing nothing. I think this is more what being beta is...as evidenced by my experience.

Here's the thing, if the whole concept of alpha/beta is even valid in the first place, I really doubt it's possible to not be who you already are. You are who you are regardless of any personality changes you might attempt to make

Would that be false?

Am I doomed to always be beta?

Last edited by dub dub II; 07-20-2012 at 02:57 PM..

Old 07-20-2012, 02:54 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,403,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Hmmm...that's my definition of a dumb Beta.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:56 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,403,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I'm an alpha female. I dont know what my duties are I just know I am one.
How? Elaborate.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:01 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,399,120 times
i just live my life and do what i want to do, not need to fall into a description of alpha or beta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.