Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 08:53 AM

144 posts, read 201,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
It peaked with a horrific argument when I refused to buy her a new car.

LOL. i hope you got something in return with whatever she fooled you into buying her coz if not....wow

Old 07-21-2012, 08:56 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,998,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Part of the problem with guys that attract gold diggers is that they seek out trophy women and try to impress them with dates to expensive restaurants and trendy resorts and everything else their money can buy -- so they shouldn't be too surprised when they find out the trophy woman was actually only impressed with their money.

You can easily lose the trophy kind of women by not going after the expensively dressed woman and instead find a more self-made woman and don't pay for expensive meals, maybe a date to McDonalds instead and see if she sticks around.
I agree. And in those cases, the problem is self-imposed. No sympathy for a guy who uses money to impress women and later complains that all he can attract are the gold diggers. Regarding your second paragraph, I don't even think you have to avoid a well-dressed woman even. Many just like to present themselves nicely, but that does not make them a gold digger. Also, just having money or nice things does not make a gold digger either. I think it's a state of mind more than anything.

Ultimately it comes down to a question of what an individual values most.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:00 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,672,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Part of the problem with guys that attract gold diggers is that they seek out trophy women and try to impress them with dates to expensive restaurants and trendy resorts and everything else their money can buy -- so they shouldn't be too surprised when they find out the trophy woman was actually only impressed with their money.

You can easily lose the trophy kind of women by not going after the expensively dressed woman and instead find a more self-made woman and don't pay for expensive meals, maybe a date to McDonalds instead and see if she sticks around.
The men who can afford to do this don't care. Some men enjoy having an attractive woman sitting across from them at the dinner table, and that it costs a couple hundred bucks isn't a big deal. Here in NYC we are crawling with men who earn a lot, and they simply aren't worried about gold diggers. The only men who worry about them tend to be middle income wage guys, or slightly less. Men with real money know what they are doing - they aren't stupid, which is why they have money in the first place.

For a level-headed man, money is another tool when it comes to dating women. It is no different than being a really attractive woman - a level-headed one isn't worried that men are only interested in the way she looks and instead understands that for a woman looks are her currency in the dating world.

The OP should stop worrying about gold diggers and instead focus on his career.

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eartmoth View Post
It's just not easy trying to determine which women actually like you or just like your money.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can casually find out if a person is genuine or a gold digger without raising any red flags?
Get with her before you have money.

If you already have money, don't let her know about it.

Pretty easy.

47,525 posts, read 69,684,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I agree. And in those cases, the problem is self-imposed. No sympathy for a guy who uses money to impress women and later complains that all he can attract are the gold diggers. Regarding your second paragraph, I don't even think you have to avoid a well-dressed woman even. Many just like to present themselves nicely, but that does not make them a gold digger. Also, just having money or nice things does not make a gold digger either. I think it's a state of mind more than anything.

Ultimately it comes down to a question of what an individual values most.
Well of course -- a professional woman with her own good income may dress very nicely -- but watch out for the woman with not much of a job of her own that always dresses expensively -- if she's not buying those clothes out of her own hard-earned income, it's obvious that she's used to be taken care of and is very likely a gold-digger.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:01 AM

2,650 posts, read 3,011,793 times
Money, it turns out, is pretty handy to have around. Show me two women who I perceive as otherwise equal I'll choose the one with more of it every time. Its not that I need it, I have more than I can spend. It's just common sense. It's why you are not going to find a women who doesn't factor money into the equation. Its always a factor even if nothing more than a check on the plus side that every person makes as they assess someone.

With that out of the way you need to be realistic. It takes a fair chunk of change to keep a gold digger up in the style they expect. You are almost certainly not in the very small group of men who possess that kind of money so that then leaves you at most being someone that a girl is attracted to because among other factors you have a decent income. This will sort itself out because the vast majority of women are not prostitutes and they will eventually either fall in love or not. If not your (not so much) money is not going to outweigh staying for them any more than it would for you.

In the highly unlikely event you really do need help your main objective is to avoid walking around with a bulls-eye on your back, keep your assets and income hidden. Your car is often the first giveaway as it goes where you go so avoid driving an expensive one. Monitor her behavior. When you are in love or even falling in love the only thing that really matters is being with that person. So it should be for her. Just like you she will be happy being together and doing things of almost any sort. If it requires expensive things beware.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:07 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,848,332 times
Make her sign a Prenup.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:17 AM

10 posts, read 16,405 times
Quote:
It's just not easy trying to determine which women actually like you or just like your money.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can casually find out if a person is genuine or a gold digger without raising any red flags?
Don't drive anything overly fancy or anyhing exotic and keep your mouth shut about what you make and or own.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:33 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,541,151 times
Or, just be like me and live a life of poverty.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:38 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,643,800 times
Quote:

I'm sure they will weed you out, and you won't have to worry about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships